Minnesota "NE style" IPA's

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Josholson666, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kemullen1

kemullen1 Initiate (176) Feb 10, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Maybe I don't get the NEIPA style. Is it really all about the haze? I get that it is commonly a side effect of the beer style but isn't it all about the mouthfeel and bitterness?

2. TurkishSqueeze

TurkishSqueeze Initiate (117) Sep 13, 2016 Minnesota

I don't quite get the love for Monkish. My wife and I were there a couple of weeks ago, and had all the NE type IPAs they had on tap (I wish I could remember the names, one of the three was a collab). My impression was that they were all very similar: some tropical fruit flavor, low or absent bitterness, milky consistency, and extremely hazy... probably more so than anything I've had out east.

I guess my main complaint with Monkish was a lack of diversity. Of the three that they had on, I would really have had a hard time distinguishing one from the next. I happily drank everything that I ordered, but in terms of that style, I missed the awesome variety that you find at Tree House or Trillium.

And, variety aside, in terms of overall quality I still think that Lawson's does an IPA better than anyone.

Anyway... back on topic...

Heading down to Rochester today. We're planning to spend some time at Forager, which we've never been to. I thought I'd heard that they do a good NE IPA but nothing they have listed sounds like one.

3. TurkishSqueeze

^scratch that

It looks like Forager's Facebook page is more accurate than their website. I see that they do indeed have two NE style IPA's on. Looking forward to trying them!

4. KiddVideo

KiddVideo Initiate (150) Jun 19, 2015 Minnesota

There are Brewers who will never make it because the haze is a side effect.

5. Imperial_Jake

Imperial_Jake Initiate (137) Feb 6, 2016 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Having both Dream Yard & Blissful Ignorance today, side by side. Both are fine, especially for local options. Blissful tastes a little bit better IMO.

I would happily drink either one, but NEITHER ONE is a NE IPA. Period. Not sure how both cans have claims of being hazy right on them, when both look like classic West Coast IPAs. But whatever helps sales I guess... lol

Both have the look and mouthfeel of Surly Todd, but I would still drink Todd above both if price wasn't a consideration. I am intrigued enough by both breweries to try whatever hops come out next though.

tgates likes this.
  6. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (2,809) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

I have only had Blissful Ignorance on-tap and it fit the hazy, cloudy description (not that we should be judging them upon haze). My problem with Blissful is that the bitterness seems very high, West Coast levels and the most of the ones I ranked a couple pages back including Insight's effort.

7. laststop126

laststop126 Initiate (119) Aug 16, 2013 North Dakota

I had Blissful Ignorance, Hooey, Dreamyard, Stupid Good, and Damn Good all within the last 24 hours and I'd rank them as follows:

Stupid Good
    Damn Good
    Hooey
    Blissful Ignorance
    Dreamyard

Stupid Good is just on another level completely. Disgruntled is doing it right!

8. TurkishSqueeze

I'll vouch for Forager all day, everyday. What a cool space. Terrific food and terrific beer.

Definitely the best example of "NE" IPA that I've had locally... especially that Kushy!

Next stop, Disgruntled.

Imperial_Jake likes this.
  9. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (403) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Tired of the "NE style" ipa. Beer is MN made, its "MN style".

If I want NE IPAs, I drive to Vermont or Boston....

Koral and KiddVideo like this.
  10. Imperial_Jake

Beer Trader

So every West Coast IPA not made on the west coast should be labeled as something else?

pmccallum86 likes this.
  11. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (223) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Am I the only one that keeps reading these as "Nebraska IPA's"?

TurkishSqueeze likes this.
  12. MNAle

MNAle Crusader (751) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

But, why would you go to Vermont for a Nebraska beer? ;)

djschnabel likes this.
  13. Hugh_Malone

Hugh_Malone Initiate (116) Nov 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I hear ya! It's like when these breweries here in MN try to brew German lagers. If I want a Dunkel, I buy a plane ticket and fly to Munich.

Benj68, runmn, nogophers and 6 others like this.
  14. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Aspirant (280) Jan 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Word on the street is Hooey will be in cans in April. Lupulin is also brewing "Straight Hash Homie", another hazy IPA with only hop hash. That should be interesting to try.

15. Josholson666

Josholson666 Zealot (527) Mar 21, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Barrel Theory pilot batch of their double IPA.

[​IMG]

tgates, jakemn91, DineAlone and 2 others like this.
  16. nograz

nograz Disciple (320) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Cant wait, I will buy as much Hooey as I can, probably my favorite IPA from them thus far.

#376 nograz, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    SipIt and Mplsmetro57 like this.
  17. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (3,198) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I want the glass as much as the brew.

DonnaRamsey and Josholson666 like this.
  18. meathead

meathead Initiate (110) May 30, 2015 Minnesota

I hope these new breweries pan out. I thought toppling goliath was going to fill the void, but outside of their limited bombers and pseudo sue not really being the world class beer it was suppose to be, it was a let down. I honestly can't think of any recent brewery that really has brought anything new to the market.

And the in state guys that supposedly make a decent approximation of NE IPA are pretty far outside the cities. I played Perham in high school football, I remember thinking, "Why the hell am I here?" Now, I have to travel there to get my beer craze fix. Damn it, why is life so hard?

#378 meathead, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  19. kemullen1

kemullen1 Initiate (176) Feb 10, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Okay which one of you guys did this (from disgruntled Facebook page on Friday). Wow

"Big Update!
    Someone just came and bought 75 crowlers of Stupid Good! Needless to say, there are now only 26 cans left! You guys rock! Cheers!"

20. Bignaners

Bignaners Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2015 North Dakota

21. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,444) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Some fine citizen did this a month or two ago with the intention of selling them on a Facebook group I'm a part of. That didn't end well. The people he was trying to sell to were pissed & the people who missed out because he sucked up most of the available crowlers weren't amused either.

JMN44 likes this.
  22. JakeJohnson

JakeJohnson Initiate (108) Jan 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I'm not sure when it gets released, but it looks like Dangerous Man is doing a Milkshake IPA.

Imperial_Jake and Cfred371 like this.
  23. nachos

nachos Initiate (95) Jun 4, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

There's no way I ever drive my ass up that way, but damn, that dude is a selfish asshole.

kemullen1 likes this.
  24. Cfred371

Cfred371 Disciple (367) Jul 14, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

How much was he trying to upcharge?

kemullen1 likes this.
  25. nachos

nachos Initiate (95) Jun 4, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

yawn.

26. Ish1

Ish1 Devotee (462) Feb 25, 2010 Minnesota
    Subscriber Beer Trader

A big part of the issue was the price he was selling at. #maxprofits

maximum12 likes this.
  27. Imperial_Jake

Beer Trader

I can confirm all 75 crowlers were for people who had already requested them, and that he did not make profit on them. Well, maybe a few cents per rounded up dollar, but I guess you can call that gas money haha...

At least it will show the brewery that the demand is there, and they should try and brew Stupid Good more often and in larger quantities if possible. If they want more people to get to taste it, and not just sell-out each time, then they obviously should institute a per person limit.

TboneRN likes this.
  28. MNAle

MNAle Crusader (751) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Yeah, but it is more fun to post snark.

Imperial_Jake likes this.
  29. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (223) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Was this for Forager's Breakfast Stout instead of Disgruntled? If so, I know the story behind what happened with this.

maximum12 likes this.
  30. laststop126

laststop126 Initiate (119) Aug 16, 2013 North Dakota

Confirmed on Sunday that Hooey will be in 16oz cans, early summer. Their Blonde is also going in cans this spring, before Hooey.

maximum12 likes this.
  31. SipIt

SipIt Aspirant (223) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

If priced right, I'll definitely be buying a fair amount of hooey. I really liked that stuff.

32. maximum12

Beer Trader

Damn right they should. And I know this has been discussed endlessly, but all I think when I read "bought 75 crowlers" of a limited beer is, "what an asshole". Nobody, or nobody & their "crew", needs that much of a fresh, perishable beer.

Bond111, nachos, SipIt and 5 others like this.
  33. Dizmal

Dizmal Initiate (129) Oct 28, 2009 Minnesota

I finally got to try Hooey the other day. Pretty darn good. A bit bitter for "NE". But I like it. Not sure if I like it as much as Blissful Ignorance. BI just has a dankness to it I love.

But props to Lupilin. Between Blissful Ignorance, Hooey, Batch 100 and Resin Rapture.. They are putting out really solid IPAs. I hope costs get a little bit more reasonable tho..

34. nograz

nograz Disciple (320) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Just an FYI, Hooey is Batch 100... at least that is what they told me.

eawolff99 likes this.
  35. KiddVideo

KiddVideo Initiate (150) Jun 19, 2015 Minnesota

I will pay a little up charge for some guys time and gas. IMO, nothing is for free.

Bignaners and Ish1 like this.
  36. travdawg7

travdawg7 Initiate (122) Mar 5, 2009 Minnesota

16oz cans would be great. The 12oz 4 packs were a disappointment. Hopefully the price does not jump up too much.

37. Bignaners

Bignaners Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2015 North Dakota

Thanks pal! Actually, I didn't end up with a single can. The most that went to 1 single person was 4 crowlers. There were well over 25 people that recieved stupid good crowlers from me. I did it as a favor to a beer community that im a part of. Oh and don't forget about the $80 in swag that I bought from the that I also gave away. Im a real asshole.

You're an asshole. See above post. Don't worry my crew is better than yours.

I basically did it just for that. I drove 3 hours from home to Disgruntled. Then from there drove to the cities and then drove 7ish hours home.

Proof:

38. Bunuelian

Bunuelian Defender (648) Mar 22, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

How do you know there wasn't a 75 crowler per person limit, huh? ;)

maximum12 likes this.
  39. maximum12

Beer Trader

Solid first two posts, I don't think I can recall better, congrats!

40. elliott1184

elliott1184 Devotee (419) Mar 31, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

You need this on an extra tight t-shirt to make sure we all know.

TurkishSqueeze, JMN44, cl3 and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.