Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Minnesota's Mount Rushmore of Beer

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by hoeg0015, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Jul 15, 2008 Minnesota

So, I read that Todd is giving some tours at Surly today, and that it was a big deal, and I thought he's probably the only rockstar brewer in Minnesota right now as far as national recognition. It inspired me to think who the other big players in the Minnesota beer scene are, and which four would make up our state's Mt Rushmore of sorts. They could come from any angle--production, ownership, advocacy, retail, legislative, general knowledge, etc.

Here are some of the people I thought of off the top of my head:

Todd and Omar of Surly
    The Hoops brothers, Dave and Mike (of Fitger's/Town Hall fame)
    Michael Agnew, perfect pint guy
    Mark Stutrud, Summit founder
    Alvey of Four Firkins fame
    Lanny Hoff, longtime beer importer
    R.T. Rybak, beer champion
    MNBeer.com in general

I'm obviously forgetting many influential and historically-important people, but I'm just doing this on the fly...I think I'd try to cover all aspects of the beer scene on my Rushmore:

Todd (brewer)
    Stutrud (entrepreneur/trailblazer)
    Alvey (advocacy/public policy)
    Rybak (supportive politician)

So...who ya got on your Minnesota Beer Mount Rushmore?

2. ZAP

ZAP Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota

Todd
    Sturud
    Schells representative
    Hoops Brothers

3. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Jul 15, 2008 Minnesota

I realized I left out Schells...someone should definitely be included there, I'm just not sure who

4. ZAP

ZAP Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota

Yeah you always forget someone....I tthink just based on their longevity alone they deserve a spot plus they really do some top notch beers.

PieOhMy and herman77 like this.
  5. ben4bier

ben4bier Mar 3, 2013 Minnesota

I was just thinking the other day that they are really working hard to turn their image around, a few years ago they were kind of looked down at by many beer snobs for brewing too malty and not doing any of the trendy styles. the issues leinies battles I suppose. now they seem to have struck a nice balance between their tradition of quality German lagers and being innovative on some stuff. not sure how you recognize just one person from brewery with that much history, so maybe just a peacock to represent them.

6. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Dec 25, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Ted Marti needs to be on there

http://www.nujournal.com/page/conte...ed-Marti---a-Minnesotan-to-know.html?nav=5009

Good article, he should be on there. With out him, no Grain Belt, which would be a bummer. And quite possible it would have been sold to a bigger company. Plus have you ever been to Bock Fest? Worth the trip in February

I think someone from Blue Max should be on there, Jim or one of the owners. If you wanted "different" beer 10 years ago, that is about the only place you could find it

7. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Feb 23, 2013 Minnesota

Fuckin' love Schell's. Someone from there has got to be included along with Todd, Stutrud, and Agnew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe