Mirror mirror in 2013??

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by pattermj, Nov 13, 2012.

1. pattermj

pattermj May 31, 2008 Virginia

Has anyone heard anything about a 2013 release of one of my favorite barleywines? Can't find anything from the brewery, can't tell if I fail at google or nothing official has been released on it yet.

thanks

I should state I am wondering this as a store is offering presales for purchasing the beer and I really wonder why they feel they can. Also wondering if I should buy a case now.

2. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Nov 22, 2007 Washington

I heard from a source..word of mouth...by way of Deschutes rep..Mirror Mirror is NO more.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  3. pattermj

That is extremely saddening. Did he say anything on the why? I can't believe they didn't have more barrels aging considering how they plan ahead. I know one of their head brewmasters split to form his own brewery and he was in charge of a lot of the barrel beers but I can't believe the split would cause the loss of the beer.

Dang I was really hoping 2013 would bring it back

4. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Mar 4, 2009 Illinois

I would buy a case and hire a lawyer at the same time.

Win.

5. ArchEnemyBrew

ArchEnemyBrew Mar 21, 2010 Washington

No time for producing mirror mirror because of the high demand for the Stoic.

6. chugalug06

chugalug06 Jun 5, 2008 Colorado

Is that what happened to Dissident too?

7. gtermi

gtermi Apr 21, 2010 Texas

I like how Stoic is still on the shelves where I live.. Nobody is buying it

8. jtmartino

jtmartino Dec 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I don't think it's completely out of the picture. I can confirm with the brewmaster this week.

9. FunkyMacGroovin

FunkyMacGroovin Sep 22, 2009 California

If Mirror Mirror has seriously been discontinued, I think I might have to drink all of my Dissident just to drown my sorrows.

10. Steasy66

Steasy66 Feb 23, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Deschutes dude at ABR said it was already ageing.

11. harrymel

harrymel Dec 15, 2010 Washington

It's only being distributed to OR, WA, and ID. Their biggest markets. According to NoInfoWhatsoever.beeradvocate.com/heresay

chew76, bifrost17 and albertq17 like this.
  12. litheum94

litheum94 Dec 29, 2008 California

Last year they discontinued it and replaced it with the Stoic. I really hope they are reconsidering that move, since MM is a far superior beer.

pattermj likes this.
  13. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Only when it's not infected.

UA8 likes this.
  14. pattermj

Luckily I have never had an infected MM. I bought 4 or 5 when first released and just recently grabbed 9 more from a place that still amazingly had a case. I have so far had 5 or 6 of the 9 with friends and not a single one was infected. Overall I would say MM has a lot fewer infections then 09 Abyss did.

Bitterbill likes this.
  15. litheum94

litheum94 Dec 29, 2008 California

I actually enjoyed my infected MM. I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone, but I thought it was interesting. Of course, I'd prefer a non-infected bottle any day of the week over an infected bottle.

16. tomlinh

tomlinh Oct 18, 2011 South Carolina

Deschutes was asked about another release of Mirror Mirror on their Facebook page earlier this month and this was their response:

"We are hoping to bring Mirror Mirror back in 2014 or 2015 but right now we are working on some fun projects for our 25th anniversary year in 2013. Stay tuned, one of them is a barely wine!"

17. rjfarel

rjfarel Jul 1, 2009 Washington

If there could possibly be a good reason not to brew MM, that's it. I'm getting excited.​

NWer and hopsbreath like this.
  18. harrymel

harrymel Dec 15, 2010 Washington

That sounds awesome, I'm sooo tired of fully wine. ;)

zestd, ggfunk, SRossman and 2 others like this.
  19. calcnerd

calcnerd Oct 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

20. hoparoundnw2337

hoparoundnw2337 Aug 6, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Waiting patiently. Until then I still have a few 09's left. And yes they are still drinking very good. Never did have an infected one...

21. mfdish

mfdish Oct 30, 2011 Nevada

I think the Dissident is an every other year brew, as they age it for 18 months... don't see why they couldn't do it every year, but the fact it hasn't been released since 2010 makes the four bottles of 2012 I have that much more special.

22. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Jul 18, 2012 Washington

I would be very surprised if that was legit, I would bet money that it is not.

With that said, there is going to be a place in Tacoma tapping an 09 Mirror, Mirror in the next two weeks.

23. waltersrj

waltersrj Dec 16, 2010 Washington

I really miss MM. It was one of my first barleywines and remains a personal favorite. None of the bottlesI ever had were infected and all were damn delicious. I truly hope they bring it back.

With that said, i'm excited for whatever they have planned for next year's releases!

Cheers,
    Ryan

joefc likes this.
  24. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Jul 18, 2012 Washington

My Deschutes guy is laughing his off right now. Zero chance this is legit.

25. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

I've been wondering if Larry's departure would have ramifications.

26. deathcharms

deathcharms Jul 11, 2009 California

I have 1 05 left and a few 09s, they need to release this again or it will be a boring vert

27. BillHilly

BillHilly Oct 17, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

How they could gap MM for Stoic or any other brew is crazy...it is a damn fine BW!

28. russmann

russmann Oct 3, 2007 Idaho

Hi Guys,

I'm Russell from BeerShip. All we can do is go off the information they give us. Which tends to be BS 1/2 the time. Last we heard they were projecting December 2013, but if your Deschutes guy says otherwise, then who knows :)

I'm taking it off pre-order. We'll send an email to the list to sell it if / when it ever arrives.

Thanks,

Russell

calcnerd likes this.
  29. russmann

And BillHilly, yes, Stoic is not as good as Mirror Mirror. Bad choice. Almost as bad as 2011 when Big Sky decided to axe Ivan from the brewing schedule for the year. Almost :)

30. podunkparte

podunkparte Nov 14, 2009 Washington

No time for Ivan... Must make Big Sky Kriek!!!

russmann likes this.
  31. russmann

Podunkparte... yeah, right?! By the way, Ivan next to Kate the Great was pretty flipping cool at the Pints for Prostates rare beer tasting in Denver. Anyone else there?

32. deathcharms

deathcharms Jul 11, 2009 California

Yea making everyone eat cherries and prunes all year then expunge into one large vat must be very time consuming.

russmann likes this.
  33. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Dec 24, 2012 Washington

My no0bness is showing, as I have never heard of both, MM & Stoic... I shall now educate myself.

34. podunkparte

podunkparte Nov 14, 2009 Washington

Don't worry so much about the stoic, but yeah Mirror Mirror is something to know about.

35. MattyPrize

MattyPrize Jul 7, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

From talking with a brewmaster, Mirror Mirror has been placed on the back burner. But he said MAYBE in 2013, they'll release again.

36. UA8

UA8 May 12, 2008 Washington

I wish I had everyone elses luck with MM. Just popped my bottle of 09 at a tasting last week and the infection had totally ruined the beer. Was very bummed I had kept it so long just to have to drain pour it.

37. jtmartino

jtmartino Dec 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Stoic is actually drinking pretty well right now, far past the "best by" date. Better than I remember, and while not up to par with the other Reserve releases, still a pretty solid beer.

38. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Jun 4, 2008 Oregon

I still have an 08, 10, and 12.

39. kevwcamp

kevwcamp May 13, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

2014 release confirmed today from @DeschutesBeer:
    "RT @ferniwillow: Brewed a batch of Mirror Mirror last week for a 2014 release..."

40. aaronCS

aaronCS Feb 20, 2012 Oregon

And they posted this on Facebook.
    [​IMG]

CaptainQ likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!