Mission Dark Seas

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NorCalMajoc, Oct 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorCalMajoc

NorCalMajoc Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2014 California

Had this one for the first time and I really liked it! Nice thick stout that drinks very nicely. Does anyone know how long this one is out for? I think this one and Narwhal will be stocked up in my fridge this winter.

2. gatheredwaters

gatheredwaters Initiate (0) May 1, 2014 Vermont

3. NorCalMajoc

Thanks. The store I bought it from said seasonal so I assumed this was a winter release. Glad to hear this is year round!

gatheredwaters and Velunas like this.
  4. Velunas

Velunas Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2014 California

Dark Seas was one of the first craft beers I had (I was late to craft beer but making up for lost time
    ), and remains one of my favorite stouts. They made it year round 3 years ago, iirc?

5. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,701) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

I've definitely passed this up on multiple occasions just browsing the store. Seems I should check it out.

Good stuff. Whenever I think Mission, I think huge ass cans :wink:

NorCalMajoc and ItsYourBoyBlue like this.
  6. Charliechu

Charliechu Aspirant (216) Jul 1, 2013 California
    Trader

Probably one of the most under rated RIS IMO. Really love this, and way better than the BA version. Good choice mate!

NorCalMajoc, dianimal and Velunas like this.
  7. mohawk5

mohawk5 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 New Jersey

A superb RIS. One of my favorites. You don't see it on the shelf often around here but when you do it's good to snag a 4pk.

8. NorCalMajoc

Its very smooth and to me has a slight port wine taste to complement it. Very good stuff. I will be searching for more to stock the fridge.

9. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

I miss these guys in NJ.

We seem to be adding and subtracting breweries lately. Lost Bear Republic and Mission, gained Boulevard and Clown Shoes.

10. thomda11

thomda11 Aspirant (232) Jun 5, 2014 California

Its one of Mission's year-round offerings, not seasonal (as others have pointed out). It's an excellent beer and its usually what I get when I fill up my growler at the brewery. Mission seems to be an underrated brewery; but, it's easy to get lost in the shuffle in San Diego.

Velunas likes this.
  11. Velunas

Velunas Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2014 California

Mission is pretty underrated, but as you said, it's easy to get lost in San Diego. Well worth a visit if anyone reading this finds themselves in the Gaslamp. They may not get the hype of some of the other breweries, but they make some pretty solid beers. Now if they'd only get around to making their cherry porter again and bottling it :/

thomda11 likes this.
  12. NorCalMajoc

I'll have to try some of their other offerings. For some reason I always seem to pass on the huge cans even as cool as they look.

13. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Disciple (396) Mar 23, 2008 California

With the exception of Dark Seas, I haven't liked anything I've had from them.

rkarimi likes this.
  14. Bshaw22

Bshaw22 Champion (889) Aug 29, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I guess I'm in the minority on this thread, but I didn't like this beer that much. Felt a bit thin to me, and had a bunch of floaties in the bottom.

15. riTLce

riTLce Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2011 California

Just tried this last weekend. I actually passed it up several times (always finding something else that caught my attention). Definitely glad I finally went with it, super thick and hearty RIS. It was not the first few of the night so definitely going to pick one up tonight and re-experience it with a fresh palate.

16. robear

robear Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Wisconsin

Yeah- they were one of the "second-wave" SD breweries that launched around '07. Smart of them to open alongside the Petco Park tailgate lot. They suffered a bit popularity because nobody went to the East Village to drink beer back then. heck, nobody even went to North Park to drink beer back then!

Solid distribution of solid beers. If you can find their IPA/IIPA fresh, go for it.

17. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

Hard to tell if their IPA/IIPAs are fresh without a date... :-(

tjensen3618 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.