Mississippi Rising: Long Limited by Restrictive Laws, Magnolia State Breweries Finally See Promise

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Jan 4, 2019.

1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Founders (17,668) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

Squire, Brookeball, chris826 and 2 others like this.
  2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,441) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I'm glad to hear it! I recall a time when Mississippi had no breweries, and even when they got one later on they weren't bottling. To this day I still haven't had a beer from Mississippi.

jvgoor3786 likes this.
  3. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,515) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Premium Trader

Southern Prohibition recently pulled distribution out of Arkansas. They make a great session IPA. I've stopped in a few places that sell beer while driving through Mississippi a couple times - the beer scene is rough. It's probably the only place I've seen worse than Arkansas. I'm glad to hear things are moving forward!

BrewAskew likes this.
  4. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,318) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Trader

Not much to say about the MS scene (having never been there and only tried a few Lazy Magnolia beers) but good luck to them, and kudos to the staff on a really well written, interesting piece of beer journalism. I know it’s hard to pull a lot of pieces like this together frequently. I would love to see the print magazine go to something like a quarterly or bi-monthly with a lot of meatier articles, that would get me interested in renewing my lapsed subscription.

If you guys are looking for contributors...drop me a line some time! I’ve published quite a bit (albeit in other areas of concentration).

5. pro100

pro100 Initiate (90) Oct 12, 2014 California

Good read. I'm in Mississippi at least once a year visiting family. Its really a dry state craft beer wise but they're trying to improve which is good.

6. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,363) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

BeerAdvocate Magazine Goes Quarterly

7. Keene

Keene Editorial Director (855) Sep 11, 2009 Washington
    Staff

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Let us know if you try something memorable on your next trip!

pro100 likes this.
  8. Todd

Todd Founder (5,621) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

tobelerone likes this.
  9. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,318) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Trader

10. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,525) Sep 15, 2014 New York

How can they rank 51st when there are only 50 states? :crazy_face:

kojevergas likes this.
  11. joehemphill1974

joehemphill1974 Initiate (129) Aug 13, 2018 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

I live here and there is so much untapped potential for craft beer to really take off . I strongly believe if the 10.2 ABV cap was removed , it would really open up the local breweries and the craft beer industry could flourish in Mississippi.

Brookeball and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  12. Jow13

Jow13 Initiate (28) Apr 5, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Only drove through Mississippi briefly but found a nice little craft beer store in Corinth (far northeast part of state) called Flying Pig Craft Market. It’s a cool shed with nice selection of brews including like 8 drafts so you can sip and get a snack why you shop. Grabbed some MS & AL brews both hard to come by in regular life.

Keene and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  13. Keene

Keene Editorial Director (855) Sep 11, 2009 Washington
    Staff

Simple. The Brewers Association also counts the District of Columbia.

HorseheadsHophead and Todd like this.
  14. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,621) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

Perhaps that is how bad it is in Mississippi :slight_smile:. I used to stop at Hops and Growlers going to Florida, they were right off the interstate. I had the pleasure of getting a growler of their blonde the day they opened the brewery last year. I wish them the best going forward and hope the market opens up for them.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  15. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,073) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Overall it's a good article that hits enough high points to give a reasonably complete picture.

16. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,525) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Ah. That makes sense.

17. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (159) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

Thanks for that feedback on an interesting article. Always good to hear from someone who lives in the subject place.

Squire and TongoRad like this.
  18. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (750) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Things improved dramatically in NC after the cap was removed in 2005 but that was coincident with the upward trajectory of craft and the cap was much lower at a very modest 6%!!!

There must be more to it in Mississippi as I could go on and not miss a beat skipping beer >10.2%

Glad it’s getting better.

#18 surfcaster, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  19. kojevergas

kojevergas Poo-Bah (8,058) Aug 15, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

If someone with a $40k household income (presuming a household is 2+ people, which I assume it is on aggregate in a state like Mississippi) is buying a $17 beer on her/his night out on the town, then perhaps pumping extra money into schools instead of breweries is exactly what the state and its denizenry ought to be doing.

bubseymour likes this.
  20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,761) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Reminds me of a joke. There is a contest and the first prize is a one week vacation to Mississippi. Second prize is a two week vacation to Mississippi.:flushed:

Cheers!

tobelerone and donspublic like this.
  21. P8N_LS

P8N_LS Initiate (35) Jul 18, 2015 Tennessee
    Trader

Unfortunately, Yalobusha closed down their operations in Water Valley, MS. I hear they are looking into a new endeavor in Oxford.