Mistakes you made when you were first drinking craft beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Feb 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WavyC

WavyC Initiate (93) Apr 27, 2014 California

Drinking everything straight from the bottle/can, and using frosted glasses.

ChittyChambers likes this.
  2. EMH73

EMH73 Poo-Bah (2,035) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Don't you mean Sam Adam's Cherry Cough Syrup?

VABA and ColeDuncan like this.
  3. Apellonious

Apellonious Meyvn (1,408) Oct 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Not checking dates (and not understanding that for certain styles, older may be better), not letting beers warm to the correct temp before imbibing, not asking what's in the case on the floor behind the counter, and not fully respecting high ABV beers, especially at the end of a session. Live and learn.

4. EMH73

Society Trader

Drinking stouts and porters too cold.

VABA, MikeWard and LuskusDelph like this.
  5. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,317) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

So many out of date IPAs.

Buying cases of shock top. Lol jk. But seriously i should give it another try.

6. ChittyChambers

ChittyChambers Aspirant (257) Jan 12, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

Thinking anything pumpkin was good. I first tried Schafly pumpkin ale 6 years ago and loved it. Ive wasted about 500 bucks the past 3 years loading up on beer that I used to like before I really got into craft beer. I had to give away about three cases of it this year and it's the first beer I pawn off to people if they come over.

7. EMH73

Society Trader

I introduced my wife to Chimay, wow how that has cost me over the years.

VABA, deford, davidperez and 5 others like this.
  8. jmasher85

jmasher85 Zealot (576) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland
    Trader

I've got nothing but love for Sam Adams, and when I was still a teenger, they taught me about craft beer...but if you think they're the best at what they do, you need to drink more (except Utopias; that stuff is glorious).

ChittyChambers and LuskusDelph like this.
  9. zid

zid Meyvn (1,344) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

One of these things is not like the others.

cjgiant and KurtE like this.
  10. tripledbrew

tripledbrew Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2011 Kentucky

Drinking way to much and getting way too fat.

11. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (1,788) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina

Pretty early in my craft beer drinking days I was spending some time in New Orleans. Although I was just starting to get into craft beer, I was still pretty novice. I went to a beer store looking for some gems I couldn't get in FL, saw a couple different variants of Cantillon sitting on the shelves, and chose to pass on them because they weren't the specific Cantillons I was hoping to find (which I don't remember the details of what I was looking for but it was probably Blaber or some shit that was completely unreasonable). Same trip (which was actually about a month long) I was at this amazing beer bar, and they had Cantillon Classic Gueuze on tap. I passed on it for a couple different beers (including Rogue Chocolate Stout, which was somehow a top 100 beer at the time and I was ticking that list). Needless to say that was a mistake. In the 5 plus years since I have quite literally never seen a single Cantillon offering on tap again.

BrewerytownEric likes this.
  12. jmasher85

jmasher85 Zealot (576) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland
    Trader

*Fine print: This statement is not endorsed by the FDA, and Sam Adams does not recommend their product be used to treat or cure respiratory ailments. If after continued use, your cough persists, please consult a doctor or a real beer drinker.

#92 jmasher85, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  13. Karnivool1

Karnivool1 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2014 Illinois

I echo a lot of the posts before me, drinking beer too damn cold.

Love stouts and love them even more now that I drink them at proper temperature

14. SILVER

SILVER Devotee (435) Jan 3, 2007 Florida
    Society

The blue one, right?

15. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (318) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Sip 1 - Man, this is pretty damned good. I like this.
    Sip 2 - Well, it's still not bad. A little... cloying.
    Sip 3 - ...shit...

ahawkman likes this.
  16. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,376) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Alcohol content, I can't tell you how many times I got way to drunk on 10% ish beers.

Stignacious likes this.
  17. Kappakoosh

Kappakoosh Disciple (314) Dec 26, 2013 Texas

I avoided the cloudy beers....big mistake.

18. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,119) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

I can still picture the bottles of Saint Lamvinus and Fou' Foune collecting dust on the shelf like it was yesterday...

DIM likes this.
  19. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (386) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

My first stout was a left hand nitro milk stout. The waitress showed me how to pour in.

The next night I'm at a restaurant and see a stout with a 100* rating next to it. I ask the bartender if any of the "bourbon beer" is left. He's said yes smiled and brought me my first bottle of 2011 BCBS.

Using the lesson I learned earlier that week from the nitro milk stout, I uncapped the BCBS and pour it hard... REAL HARD.

sooooo.... I wasted 9 of the first 12 ounces of BCBS I ever had in a public setting. If I saw myself then, I'd slap myself

20. MrUse

MrUse Aspirant (283) Jun 20, 2015 Minnesota

My wife bought me a beer of the month club, I thought maybe Pliney might be in one of the shipments. Spoiler alert...it wasn't.

matcris and BrewerytownEric like this.
  21. Nachojon

Nachojon Disciple (375) Sep 17, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

Not buying every Cantillon I ever saw.

Edit: I have been to Cantillon, didn't buy enough...

22. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Not checking dates
    Using a chilled glass
    Drinking form the bottle

tsk !

MrUse likes this.
  23. BrewerytownEric

BrewerytownEric Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2015 Pennsylvania

Although I had the similar experience of many- walking into a bottle shop in PA thinking I was going to find CBS, Heady, Dinner, etc . . . sitting on the shelves. Scouring shelves of Breury bombers looking for Black Tuesday assuming it was just hiding behind that bottle of tart of darkness! Haha

My big face palm moment looking back is when I randomly walked into a bottle shop and, complete dumb luck, it was Black Friday. The kid working there had Bourbon County regular, coffee and barley wine behind the counter. Had no idea what bourbon county was but knew I liked Goose Island from Pepe Nero & Sophie so I asked for a four pack of regular and 4 pack of coffee. When he rang them up at $24 per 4 pack I thought it was a bit much to spend $48 on less than a case of beer so I told him "I'll just get the coffee next time I'm in"- looking back on it the weird look he gave me makes a lot more sense! Needless to say they weren't there and while I have had lots of luck getting regular and barleywine in the years since I've never gotten my hands on the coffee!

24. BrewerytownEric

BrewerytownEric Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2015 Pennsylvania

Haha. On that note, introducing my wife to Russian River ranks pretty high. The trip to San Fran/Sonoma probably cost less than all the $17 350ml bottles of barrel aged sours I've had to buy since we returned!

25. Zlatan

Zlatan Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2015 Wisconsin

Not getting on BA years ago

Traveling around europe last summer and didn't seek out any Cantillon. Still have yet to try any of their offerings.

26. Dravin

Dravin Aspirant (217) Apr 27, 2014 Indiana

Probably spending too much time giving IPAs priority.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  27. RangerBuddy

RangerBuddy Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2016 Missouri

Drinking too many new (to me) in a night.

28. Lurchus

Lurchus Initiate (190) Jan 19, 2014 Germany

I don't know, everyone is different. The first American IPA I had was Stone Ruination, and I loved it. The first sour I truly loved was Cantillon. But I always wanted to experiment and taste something new...

I remember when I was ticking: Trying to try everything I could get my hands on instead of buying stuff I truly enjoy; Trying trappists and sours without letting them age; Pouring bottle conditioned belgian ales with yeast; And I think the biggest mistake looking back at old ratings: Finding a few franconian gems "boring" and "unspectacular" and rating them very low-beers I now totally adore and love, like Huppendorfer Vollbier....

But i think those ratings are due to ticking as well- when you only have a bottle, or worse even less, of beers like that, you do not get to know them properly. Some beers aren't made for sipping, they are made for drinking.

zid, steveh and TongoRad like this.
  29. Stignacious

Stignacious Defender (646) Aug 24, 2011 New York

Focusing purely on ABV and not on style. This led to a year-long Belgian bender before I realized that I enjoyed hoppy beers.

30. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,605) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Funny, I think that is the only mistake I didn't make. Made, and still make sometimes, all the rest posted above.

31. lhommedelamaison

lhommedelamaison Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2015 Denmark

When I moved to Belgium a few years ago, my wife and I lived in a hotel for a few weeks while looking for an apartment. The hotel was in the old Belle-Vue brewery. On the night we arrived, there was a basket waiting for us in the hotel room with chocolates, a few other things, and a bottle of Belle-Vue Gueuze. Tired and annoyed from flying, and craving a beer, I cracked it open and took a long swig. I spat it out instantly ''bleeeech, what the hell is this!? I thought they were supposed to have good beer in Belgium!'' I assumed the bottle was off and drain poured the rest.

The next day I found out it was supposed to taste like that.

Kevin-1989 likes this.
  32. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (412) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

I did this as well. I actually still do sometimes with lighter beers, especially if I am not a huge fan of the beer and want to blunt the flavors a little bit.

33. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,620) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

When I first started out, this was my biggest mistake (drinking right from the fridge). I store cold, but enjoy slightly below room temps.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  34. Hayden34

Hayden34 Zealot (559) Aug 10, 2014 Georgia
    Society Trader

I got into craft beer in 2003 when I discovered Stone IPA. I drank it straight from the bottle for YEARS. *facepalm* :grinning:

35. jtk

jtk Initiate (165) May 19, 2007 Texas

I've mentioned it in other posts, but I'd say drain pouring my first Consecration by RR, thinking it had gone bad, but really just not understanding the nature of a sour and just how sour that beer is supposed to be.

36. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,275) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Happy wife...

37. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,112) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Ouch, that hurts, someone send this man a BCBCS.

BrewerytownEric likes this.
  38. frothy_80

frothy_80 Aspirant (229) May 19, 2013 Missouri

Not knowing then, what i know now. When I started drinking craft beer, to me it was just beer at the time. I don't think the whole "craft movement" was really a thing at that time. Maybe it is was and I was just ignorant. Anywho, myself and 2 roommates at the time would go to Lukas Liquor almost every Friday after work and mix an 18 pack. Sometimes picked up individual bottles here and there. There were many good beers and also many drain pours. Once we split and went our separate ways, i went back to drinking boulevard as my mainstay. Not really exploring other beer anymore. Now the whole craft movement is kicking in overdrive, which is great. Thinking about I could have a 16 yr. old beer cellar with some pretty special beer in it only if I knew what I was drinking back then.

39. BeerKarmaNYC

BeerKarmaNYC Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2015 New York

On a recent trip to Marin County CA I stopped into a Whole Foods and saw they had some Pliny and thought, "awesome, this stuff must be all over the place" and only bought 1 bottle. When I went back the next day it was obviously all gone.

40. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,297) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Thinking that drinking Red Wolf, St. Pauli Girl and Lowenbrau was achieving success in seeking out tasty beer. One trip to Portland set me on the straight and narrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.