Mistakes you made when you were first drinking craft beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Feb 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiScusi

MiScusi Meyvn (1,027) Feb 12, 2005 California

Hey Steveh, this is not related to this thread but I'm not able to send you a PM.... Were you ever on a forum called "RealBeer.com" back around 2004/5? That's when I first discovered craft and I'm pretty sure it was you there because that "Steveh" knew so much about German beers... learned a fair amount quite fast being on that site. Remember Fretlessman tasting and comparing every porter he could get his hands on/sent to him... that was fun to follow. Chatroom tastings on occasion... those were good times, oh how great it would be to relive that first year of experiencing craft beer.

2. Kanger

Kanger Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2013 New York

Drank 8 pints of Delerium Tremens on an empty stomach. One of the worst nights of my life.

3. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,344) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Had a clerk say he just got a couple of Deschutes Abyss bombers in and wanted to know if I wanted to buy one. Seeing the price and not being familiar with it I passed. He looked at me like I was from another planet or something. Went out to my car and checked BA reviews, went back and bought two.

4. elucas730

elucas730 Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2010 New York

Hard to have any regrets when it comes to craft beer, especially since I have lucked into so many huge beer-related things that I had no business being a part of. But...in my early days of the craft beer scene and on my first trip to Vermont, I visited the Alchemist brewpub and the main thing I remember is getting in a fight with my GF (now wife) and a little bit the food. I really wish I remembered the pre-flood alchemist beers that I had.

5. xanok

xanok Aspirant (271) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

Don't see any reason to drink out of a shaker pint glass. Sure, I have plenty, but they are typically used when I have a lot of guests over and the beer doesn't require proper glassware. If beer is secondary to what I'm doing (video games, partying, etc), I'll opt for my nonic pint glass. Holds more beer, more comfortable to hold, and it does more for the beer itself.

BrewsingBuffalo likes this.
  6. davidperez

davidperez Aspirant (261) Dec 3, 2015 Mexico

How did you get to 8 Tremens, regardless of the fullness or emptiness of your stomach, is itself a mystery.

7. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

The only mistake is to drink too much. I drink my IPAs and such out of a can, and they're great, in fact I much prefer them that way. Adding oxygen to the beer kinda kills the nose after a bit, dulls the taste a bit. I have many fine glasses, but if it's a can that's usually the way I drink it.

NotHereForGold likes this.
  8. PatrickBeebe

PatrickBeebe Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2012 Florida

Brought a cooler full of IPA's to the beach one summer. Being new to craft, did not even come close to enjoying 7% abs hop/malt bombs. It turned me off to the style for quite a while.

9. patpbr

patpbr Initiate (0) May 25, 2005 Ohio

Not sure I made mistakes. I started drinking craft in college around the Ann Arbor area in the early 2000s. I had it great. But I would still defend pbr and old style.

10. BrewsingBuffalo

BrewsingBuffalo Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New York

I don't feel well just thinking about this :grinning:. Must have been a brutal hangover after the fact too.

11. Anyportinastorm

Anyportinastorm Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2009 Oregon

Relying on the community for advice. Your taste is your own, no matter what you read.

eppie82, Riff, encladd and 3 others like this.
  12. WalterAppelle

WalterAppelle Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2015 New York

1st time buying Heady it was through a store where the manager was selling it $10 per can under the table. Good news was it got the ball rolling for me and created a monster. Bad news was I got ripped off.

13. deford

deford Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2013 California

Good for you brother....

14. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2016 Maine

Drinking a dry bitter 70 IBU IPA as my first IPA, then arbitrarily deciding that all IPA's must be that awful and avoiding them for too long.

15. NotHereForGold

NotHereForGold Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Wisconsin

Chugging that Rocket Fuel?!?!? "Fly me to the moon like that bitch Alice Kramden!!"

16. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (11,446) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Leaving the likes of Cantillion, BCBS,KBS, and Parabola on the shelf, was not sure about buying them many years ago.

17. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,959) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Underappreciating German lagers. I passed these by for the longest time. After I tried some of them, I really began to appreciate the brewers' craft. I never cease to be amazed at the complexity they can coax out of a few basic ingredients.

utopiajane and Squire like this.
  18. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,451) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

Chugging, Improper glassware, Improper temperatures.......

19. Beersnob724

Beersnob724 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2016 Ohio

I still do all of these things on occasion ,............

20. SLewis

SLewis Aspirant (247) Jun 17, 2014 North Carolina

Caring too much about what a bunch of strangers on the internet said about a certain beer.

mickyge, Riff, j111 and 3 others like this.
  21. Dusten2015

Dusten2015 Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2015 Texas

Being from Delaware and had to defend my state by it's beer...still not really keen on most of DFH's stuff (but some is great!)

Drinking out of whatever, stouts in wheat glasses at 38f was a bit sad looking back on it...

not appreciating bourbon barrel stuff for what it was, thinking the alcohol was gross. Taste buds definitely change.

thinking ipas were god's only gift to beer drinkers... i hardly drink them now aside from fruit bombs.

22. Linkenbeer

Linkenbeer Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2016 China

we are not drink the bottle beer now,always drink cans beer

23. RCongdon974

RCongdon974 Initiate (0) May 5, 2016 Nevada
    Deactivated

2 mistakes

1. Drinking straight out the bottle instead of a glass. Didn't know how important my nose was.
    2. Assumed all beers needed to be consumed ice cold. I missed out on a lot of flavor.

24. Caj1

Caj1 Aspirant (235) Jul 2, 2013 Texas

When I was just starting to learn what I liked and didn't like, I once convinced myself that I didn't like "hoppy beers" and so I missed out on some really good IPAs.

Also, when I was a college kid and didn't have more than one set of dishes in my dorm, I routinely drank my beers out of a mason jar, whether they were good or bad.
    I shudder to even write it.

25. Kevin67

Kevin67 Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2015 Arkansas

Attending shares with whale traders and tickers. Two of my worst beer related experiences.

26. beerbelly_mike

beerbelly_mike Initiate (0) May 19, 2016 Illinois

My biggest mistake was thinking blue moon legit and that I was now a craft beer drinker haha. Also, pouring stouts into shaker pints.

I promise, I have learned and grown as a craft beer drinker.

Benish likes this.
  27. skleice

skleice Aspirant (299) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

- I used to drink straight from the bomber....hehe
    - not checking dates
    - chugging IIPA's like they were session beers.
    - assuming that all beers from a brewery were amazing just because I liked one brew.

28. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,726) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Two sides of the same coin for me - getting on the hype train hard for quite some time and trying to understand why I disliked a lot of beers people raved about.

Walking by other legit brews when they were just hanging on the shelves around here (now more rare then hen's teeth) thinking they were just another over-hyped beer.

Stockpiling - an affliction that apparently has no cure. Too much beer aging in my house...buy less more frequently should be the mantra, but I can't fight that kid in the candy store thing when I go to a great bottle shop.

Mark_Eck, Kevin67, Riff and 3 others like this.
  29. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (668) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

In a few years you'll be saying that you regret "thinking whales taste any better than what I can get off the shelf locally."

Kevin67 and drtth like this.
  30. LennyOvies

LennyOvies Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2015 Mexico

Filling the glass to the rim, too cold porters/stouts, dirty glassware.

31. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Not when starting out but relatively recently I've learned to read the bottling codes.

32. twistwrist

twistwrist Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2013 Georgia

33. j111

j111 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2016 Canada (ON)
    Deactivated

-Thinking too much of the ratings
    -Being too militant on glassware

monkeybeerbelly likes this.
  34. manfromanotherplace

manfromanotherplace Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 New York

-buying anything that was bourbon barrel aged and thinking i was getting a world class brew.

-chasing sought after beers all around NY only to discover they weren't all that.

-allowing beer store owners to tell me whats good and what's great.most are clueless and just want rid of their shelf turds.

FBarber likes this.
  35. Caveworm

Caveworm Savant (931) Feb 26, 2014 Ohio

Not a mistake per se, but I was a two-pack-a-day smoker. So I have reason to believe that my taste buds at the time were missing out on flavor complexities.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  36. seth27

seth27 Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania

Drinking straight from the bottle was a big one for me. Also that time I almost bought a bottle of cantillion but didn't, only to find out months later what it was

37. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (590) Mar 27, 2007 Minnesota

I bought Horny Goat Beers

A_Rad and offthelevel_bytheplumb like this.
  38. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

Thinking a bagel for dinner would be enough. It wasn't.

chrismattlin, VABA and semibaked like this.
  39. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (87) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Trader

This late in the thread makes this seem like a re-run but:

Drinking good beer too cold
    Drinking good beer out of the bottle or can
    Buying too much beer at a time
    Drinking too many high abc beers at a time/too fast

Prolly a few more if I think about it!

40. zappoman

zappoman Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2014 Illinois

Buying old IPA.
    Buying beer at places that charge 3+ dollars more per beer than the norm.
    Passing up Sweet Repute... The higher price tag scared me at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.