MLB '17 stadium beer selection thread

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BBThunderbolt, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,925) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Just over a week until opening day, let's post tap lists for the various stadiums here. Mariners Field usually has a great selection, but I haven't seen a specific list yet for this year. The cask beers will be back, along with a new(?) dedicated barrel-aged selection.

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,617) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Citizens Bank Park (Phillies) a few years ago had an excellent selection of craft beer; very good craft beer at lots of locations.

Over the past two years I noticed many of the venues that used to serve high quality locally produced craft beer were serving Goose Island products instead (e.g., 312 Wheat, Honkers Ale, Goose Island IPA). There is still some good quality craft beer selections but you might have to walk further for them.

I have no idea what 2018 will bring. Even more venues selling Goose Island because the AB Marketing & Sales folks made more deals with the concession vendor of Citizens Bank Park (Aramark)?

Non-cheers to this stuff!:slight_frown:

thebeers, ebin6, dagimp and 4 others like this.
  3. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

San Francisco:

Hop Stoopid
    Lagunitas IPA
    Union Jack IPA
    Anchor Steam
    Torpedo

thebeers, CrimeDog, Ocalafox and 3 others like this.
  4. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,380) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Kansas City Royals checking in. Craft and Draft was added to Kauffman Stadium a few years back. Info on Craft and Draft from the MLB site:

Just guesstimating, I'd say about half of those beers are available on tap. The selection rotates throughout the season as beers come and go, and the weather changes. You can get a Boulevard Wheat or Pale Ale just about anywhere in the stadium as well.

BBThunderbolt and Bigrock like this.
  5. BasterdInABasket

BasterdInABasket Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2010 Wisconsin

6. JCaweinstein

JCaweinstein Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2010 Ohio

Great American in Cincinnati added a big bar with quite a few local craft beers prior to hosting the all star game in 2015. It's a really nice set up but only convenient if your in the lower level on the first base side.
    Just thinking about this years Reds team has me enthusiastically anticipating the start of FC Cincinnati's sophomore season!

7. BeerPugz

BeerPugz Initiate (81) Dec 4, 2016 Wisconsin

Miller Park (Brewers) just got some new Central Waters tap handles.

Brewers will suck per usual; trading decent or great players for prospects and letting decent or great players walk. What could have been with Yost... and the owners suck.

8. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (103) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

Great thread idea. Looking forward to seeing what's available at Comerica (Detroit) this year

9. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (177) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

I've never been enamored with the choices at Yankee Stadium. Last year I hunted around and found an Apocalypse IPA by 10 Barrel (AB owned). Not bad, but still jealous of the selection at Citi (including Six Point and Captain Lawrence).

10. Selby56

Selby56 Initiate (71) Nov 12, 2014 Pennsylvania

I'm making a trip up to Cinci for a game this year in May. Need to see my Indians play, and Cinci is as close as they'll get to Nashville. I assume they'll have Rhinegeist and MadTree at the park?

11. Reemer686

Reemer686 Initiate (140) Oct 13, 2014 Maryland

Camden Yards (Orioles) is starting to improve but doesn't quite have the selection that other ballpark's have. They do have a nice partnership with Flying Dog. Flying Dog does a different firkin for every Friday home game which is always solid.

musicsherlock likes this.
  12. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,200) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Hand me a Narragansett and I'm all set. Does anyone know how much they go for at Fenway?

13. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (472) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Probably $8 - $10, like everything else there.
    I think I read somewhere that Fenway is expanding the craft selections. I've noticed that there are better options back behind the plate versus out in the bleachers.
    I know there's a couple stands that have Wachusett, Harpoon and Sammy, of course. I had Long Trail last time I was there. I don't know if there is a specific list for Fenway.

BillMar08 likes this.
  14. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,200) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Thanks for the tips. I was holding out hope that it was maybe a $1 or 2 less than other beers. How foolish of me:rolling_eyes:

Ericness and JrGtr like this.
  15. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Aspirant (233) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia

uhhh the Public House is attached. You can bring the beers in the stadium, and leave to get them during the game and bring them back.

They have Russian River beers and a whole lot more.

Washington Nationals

Sub-par to me. Goose IPA, all the normal mass produced ones, and occasionally you can find Star, Atlas, DC Brau, Port City and Mad Fox.

JayORear and ElijahSF like this.
  16. Jay_P22

17. cbjfan

cbjfan Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2014 Ohio

They should, the two breweries even make seasonal baseball themed brews, Madtree has Rounding Third Red IPA & Rhinegeist makes Hustle which was a rye IPA but I believe they changed the recipe on that. This is from a couple years ago but said craft beer bar at GABP represented Cincinnati pretty well, recall a 50 West & Blank Slate tap amongst others.

Bigrock likes this.
  18. BillMar08

BillMar08 Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2017 Florida

Great thread idea, I'll be attending a game at tropicana field(rays) opening weekend. Hoping for a good local selection. I will post their selection if it hasn't been already posted by the time I go. Play ball!!

19. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Uhhh... the convenience of walking down the stairs from so-so seating to a vendor with my options listed above is quite nice I'd say...

Bigrock and classixIII like this.
  20. dcw6363

dcw6363 Initiate (74) Nov 11, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

That is a pretty good list. In the past I have been able to find SN Torpedo and Bell's Oberon there. These may still be available (you gotta look around a bit for small stand-alone kiosks). Also Two Hearted, I think, although that has been hit-or-miss.

Bigrock likes this.
  21. KBlodorn

KBlodorn Aspirant (285) Oct 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Pretty decent selection at Wrigley, including Beck's, Heiniken, Amstel Light and also a solid lineup of Goose: 312, Goose IPA, Matilda and Sofie.. Also, Shock Top orange and lemon which is also a nice choice on a hot day :slight_smile:

Cheers and go Cubs!

Donco likes this.
  22. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Devotee (450) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

I'll second what @ClarkstonMark said - great idea for a thread!

I will definitely contribute what I find at Minute Maid Park (Houston) this summer.

Bigrock likes this.
  23. classixIII

classixIII Disciple (353) Oct 10, 2012 Pennsylvania

PNC Park - My seats are just a few steps away from a great craft "beer garden" on the 300 level. (Cheap seats - Great Beer!), I usually go with a Bells Oberon or Victory Summer Love- $9 for a pounder, Can't wait to see if they changed things up this season, god knows the team didn't improve over the off season.

Jacobier10 likes this.
  24. HardyA

HardyA Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2013 Michigan
    Deactivated

Comerica Park had KBS and double Hopslam on tap last year for opening day. Can't wait to see what they have this year. 2 weeks!

25. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (275) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Yankee selection sucked last year. I was fine having nothing.. To the cubs fan saying becks and etc. is acceptable, I hope you are joking.

26. JCaweinstein

JCaweinstein Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2010 Ohio

They will and if you have the time Rhinegeist is a short ride to the stadium.

27. Bigrock

Bigrock Initiate (170) Feb 4, 2013 Texas

Rangers/Globe Life Park have a craft concession and several concessions selling "Texas" beers. I Have been getting the Deep Ellum IPA. Buddy got the Hopadillo IPA from Karbach. Lagunistas is on the list but unfortunately some less than stellar beers are on there too. Long hike sometimes (depending on your seats) to find a good beer is a downside. ABInBev owns the stand concessions. Land Shark Lager anyone?

28. Bigrock

Bigrock Initiate (170) Feb 4, 2013 Texas

Hey! Kinsler drove in the winning run (Lucroy...a Ranger of course) in the WBC championship game I see!:slight_smile: I miss our second baseman.:slight_frown:

29. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Money talks. I'd hate to see Victory and other local favorites to be gone, I'd drink Bud before thst GI crap selection. We could complain but I'm sure they get a sweet deal to push the locals out, or at least greatly reduced.

30. JackHorzempa

Society

I am guessing that Victory will never be gone since they 'sponsor' the biergarten out in right field.

Other locals have been gone last year and before. One example is Troegs Sunshine Pils. That beer was missing from tap handles.

Cheers!

31. ceeg

ceeg Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2010 New York

Citi Field used to have an okay selection a few years ago but they have gone the way of AB. I had an ancient Goose IPA last year and was so pissed! I usually just get Bluepoint Toasted as it's usually fresh. When Brooklyn was more involved, there was a good one on tap at the taco place called Sabroso. I wish they'd bring in Singlecut as they are about a mile away as the crow flies. Dreams.

state08 and PatrickCT like this.
  32. nc41

Society Trader

I'm glad to hear that I always get my Hop Devil in the LF stands by Harry the Ks. Sad to hear Sunshine is gone, love that beer and I despise 312 and the other junk GI brews on that end. They won't be good this year but they might be fun to watch.

33. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, that is what I am hoping for. I ran into some friends last night who were down in Clearwater to watch some spring training games. I asked: how do they look? They responded: not so hot. Their prediction is for a 0.500 season this year.

Oh well!?!

Cheers!

34. nc41

Society Trader

You can stand losing with youth with upside, what you can't do is to lose with old expensive guys making tons of cash. They're in rebuild and I'm betting the Reading team will be great, lots of talent across the board right now. You just hope they jell like the 2006 and 2007 team did that led to 2008. As a plus cheaper Hall of Fame seats.

TravisSaps and JackHorzempa like this.
  35. ernh

ernh Aspirant (271) Jun 10, 2012 California

Oakland Coliseum has one pretty good beer spot hidden back in the "West Side Club" with about 20 taps, some of which rotate. Usually a couple Sierra, Drake's, Lagunitas and occasionally smaller local places. Every now and then Lagunitas slips something cool in, like a Hairy Eyeball or Little Something Wild. I'm pretty sure they're 16oz pours and the big news this year is they're dropping those from $11.50 down to $10.

The other kiosks around the park have Goose (Honkers, IPA, 312), Firestone (805), Lagunitas, New Belgium, and Sierra. And of course Bud and Coors.

Reef likes this.
  36. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Devotee (450) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

KBS?!? Thats awesome!

I live in Houston but my girl & I were born & raised in Detroit. We root for all things Michigan first. Would live a Tigs game with some KBS to sip on.

Keep us posted!

Donco and HardyA like this.
  37. Jay_P22

Seating can make it inconvenient. But my favorite thing to do is hit the public house pre-game, then buy a blind pig or something and enter right there and bring it into the stadium. Man I love that stadium. I'm saving a 2014 dark odd to crack on opening day. Wooo

38. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,587) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

I've been to 22 of the MLB stadiums (bucket list item) and the beer options are a huge part of the experience. From 2016 trips;
    Camden Yards - Duckpin pale ale and RAR Hefeweisen were about the best I saw
    Petco - Insane number of craft options. Craft lover's nirvana; Mike Hess, Saint Archer, Alesmith
    Safeco - They had a firkin by the home plate area (Diamond Knot). Solid local options around
    Citi Field - Options are weak, save for Captain Lawrence on the 200 level.
    Fenway - Pricey and kinda weak. You could get Wachusett Blueberry in a few spots.
    Yankee Stadium - If you aren't in the Mohegan Sun bar where you can snag Ommegang, may as well hit up Stan's outside before the game.

I'm going to the Angel's home opener, so any insight of what they had last year would help and I'll bump this thread with the 2017 options.

39. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Meyvn (1,114) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Doesn't look like much to get excited about. I'll go watch the Cubs play in Milwaukee.

BBThunderbolt and ShawnoftheD3ad like this.
  40. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,587) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

Inside Wrigley there isn't much, but the dive bars in Wrigleyville have Revolution, Pipeworks and a few other solid options. Half the fun is what happens before and after you go to the game.

Redrover likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.