MN Sunday Sales Legislation: That Time of Year

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by bigdaddypolite, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdaddypolite

bigdaddypolite Disciple (398) Mar 2, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Back to the annual debate.

I should probably just point to an old thread since this topic gets so thoroughly rehashed every year, but I can't help myself...
    http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/189757591.html

As in prior years, there are some fun quotes to be found:
    -"Everything isn't about convenience," said Jack Lanners, president of the MGM Wine & Spirits stores.
    -"We just want to keep things as they are," said Frank Ball, executive director of the Minnesota Licensed Beverage Association
    -"Wisconsin's got their way of doing things, and Minnesotans have their way of doing things," Ball said.
    -Polls show widespread support for Sunday liquor sales -- 59 percent in favor, 29 percent opposed in a June poll of Minnesotans by Public Policy Polling. but Reinert says the message he gets from legislative leaders is: "We know it's going to change, but this is not the year."

And for those who want to participate in the process:
    To that end, members of the Minnesota Beer Activists are circulating an online petition on their site, mnbeeractivists.com. As of Monday evening, 1,300 people had signed.
    "A few phone calls can really make a difference," said the group's executive director, Andrew Schmitt. "All we can do is work hard and hope for the best."

cmannes and deebo like this.
  2. deebo

deebo Savant (994) Oct 13, 2006 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

MN BAs-make your voice heard to change this ridiculous law!

Tolann and arniepnminne like this.
  3. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

How can they look at a statewide poll and ignore the results? They're in office to service public interest... I admit it's a minor issue but come on, do your job.

4. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

let's take this to twitter every day and see what we can do, I am also hoping for growler law reform at some point although I have been told to not hold my breath on that one.

copslovebeer likes this.
  5. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Initiate (48) May 15, 2008 Minnesota

Signed by this guy.
    We get lots of out of state people here for the Mayo Clinic and when I used to deliver pizzas years and years ago it absolutely blew people's minds that they couldn't go to the liquor store on a Sunday.

6. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,362) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Bah. Who cares.

If people who work in/own stores get one free day per week, I'm all for it. I'd much rather those poor retail slobs had a rest than have ONE MORE DAY I can go buy booze.

stpaulsipper07, mjryan and loudmouth like this.
  7. jatut

jatut Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

They can rest if they want, it's their business if they don't want to be open on Sunday they don't have to be, but I think it ridiculous that if they want to be open to serve paying customers they can't be.

joelwlcx, ZAP, motorhed and 4 others like this.
  8. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

It should also be illegal for garden centers to be open on Sundays. That way, I can have a day off too.

mfl620ks, ZAP, Tballz420 and 4 others like this.
  9. dc55110

dc55110 Initiate (165) Oct 24, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I declare that all store networks at major a Home Improvement and a Minneapolis headquartered big box retailer can no longer have issues on Saturday or Sunday.

joelwlcx and ZAP like this.
  10. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Champion (856) May 10, 2009 Colorado

That doesn't really seem like a good reason for a law preventing stores that want to from being open. Not to mention the fact that for some people, Sunday is the most convenient day for them to do their shopping.

Regardless of how necessary it is for anyone to buy alcohol on Sundays, there should be a logical reason for blocking it. Prohibition-era standards and MN Licensed Beverage Association lobbying dollars aren't acceptable reasons for most of us.

joelwlcx, mfl620ks, ZAP and 1 other person like this.
  11. jebsinger

jebsinger Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2012 Minnesota

I hope(probably without any light at the end) that this will pass, since i live in chicago I can forget to get beer to prepare for Vikings games and run out in the 10 min before kickoff(since thats when you wake up on sundays) and grab something without killing my stash to often. fudgepacker games call for something from the stash though to prepare for the victory.

12. JZossMPLS

JZossMPLS Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 Minnesota

There's a lot of entrenched opposition. Many liquor stores strongly oppose it so they don't have to staff their stores for another day, and those stores and other organizations lobby hard to prevent the law from changing. Because of that lobbying, nothing will change until the public begins to truly demand a change. Signing the petition won't do it. Huge numbers of supporters at committee hearings might, though.

13. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

I still believe Frank Ball (and the MLBA) is afraid of the can of worms Sunday sales may open. The main concern is the lobbying efforts by big grocery to get rid of the 3.2 if they lose those sunday sales, and the hurt that can put on the mom and pop liquor stores.

My opinions aside, as I have been clear in the past and am tired of debating this, I don't think this law gets changed in the near future.

14. dougofthefuture

dougofthefuture Aspirant (264) Oct 15, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I do feel bad for the people who are going to have to start working on Sundays, but I'm not sticking up for them anymore. It is a dumb law with no foundation in anything but tradition, and I want to buy growlers on Sunday!

15. mnstorm99

I just want to be able to go to Dangerous Man on a Sunday afternoon, maybe some other taprooms.

SipIt, cmannes and jebsinger like this.
  16. jebsinger

jebsinger Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2012 Minnesota

this so very much

17. MN_Beerticker

MN_Beerticker Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2012 Minnesota

Minn. Beer activists just need get a couple of canvas bags with dollar signs on them and fill it with "donations" to some more legislators

18. mnstorm99

MN Beer Activists could help be a game changer on this one, but I still feel like it is a minimum of a couple years yet.

19. MN_Beerticker

MN_Beerticker Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2012 Minnesota

@ mnstorm99 I don't disagree we just need a groundswell or a lobby or beer PAC or two

20. mnstorm99

I bet we start to see some of that stuff this year. We already know the MLBA will be out in full force.

21. JZossMPLS

JZossMPLS Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 Minnesota

You know, anyone can legally start at PAC. Just sayin'.

22. maximum12

Beer Trader

I'd support that.

Actually, I'd support closing everything on Sundays.

And no, I'm not a religious nut-bag, I just despise our consumer-driven culture (excepting my love for collecting/drinking beer, of course, no self-righteous stand would be complete without a little hypocrisy). Wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if everything but self-serve gas stations closed down on Sundays. So I just can't get worked up about only being able to booze or growlers 6 days a week.

There are other arguments against it. For the non-lazy, link to an old thread.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/beer-laws-in-mn.4792/#post-52248

23. maximum12

Beer Trader

24. mnstorm99

Sucks for the people in that industry as the only people that have to work Sundays.
    When are people supposed to get their home improvement projects done if they can't on their one day off?

25. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (82) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota

26. maximum12

Beer Trader

You're welcome. Just trying to toughen you up to Interwebs criticism...I can see I have some work to do...since you also seem to be unable to recognize sarcasm. :)

<smiley face to indicate that I'm not serious & to parry any perceived wrong that I might have done the poster past, present or future>

:rolleyes:

<ooops>

27. Yulles

Yulles Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

You can't smiley face away future slights. I call shenanigans on that sir.

28. bigdaddypolite

Beer Trader

That's correct. It's common knowledge, just like "You can't triple stamp a double stamp."

dc55110 likes this.
  29. maximum12

Beer Trader

Both of you pipe down.

Otherwise, I'm going to be shotgunning some ______ at my house tonight...you know what I'm talkin' about.

30. dc55110

dc55110 Initiate (165) Oct 24, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I love Mad Libs! I'll start...I'm guessing it is supposed to be a noun, and in this case it sounds like it should be a liquid like substance...

maximum12 likes this.
  31. bigdaddypolite

Beer Trader

I do not like where this is going...

Sorry to derail the thread, TS! Oh wait, that's me...carry on.

SUNDAY SALES!! GRRRRR!!!!!

maximum12 likes this.
  32. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (82) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota

I appreciate your concern. So you got called out on your hypocrisy and are trying to walk it back with the "it was just sarcasm" schtick. Who needs to toughen up? :rolleyes:

33. maximum12

Beer Trader

You're not even fun to bait. I am pleased that you remember me, though. See you around!

34. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (402) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

According to the MLBAs logic, all retail should be closed on Sundays?

NuclearDolphin and maximum12 like this.
  35. hardy008

hardy008 Poo-Bah (1,951) Jan 12, 2008 Minnesota
    Subscriber

As long as we are discussing legalizing Sunday sales, how about legalizing buying beer online from other states? If I had to pay an excise and or sales tax to the state, I would be all for it, as long as I could buy beer online.

36. Yulles

Yulles Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Not cool man, not cool. If you do that I know there is another thread in the great lakes forums where you can be outed. It's not fair for only 1 MN BA to be taking the heat.

By the way, how is tomorrow for me swinging by and picking up those ________'s. 8ish. I'll bring a beer.

37. maximum12

Beer Trader

Ha! I'd certainly deserve it if I lowered the boom on your brew. But, but it's so gooood...I'll shoot you a message.

38. mjryan

mjryan Zealot (564) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

I think a big concern is Sunday sales leading to booze in grocery stores. I don't want to see that. Also, I would also like to see all businesses closed on Sundays. Everyone should be gauranteed one day off a week.

39. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

there should be a million beer march on the St Paul Capitol.

JZossMPLS likes this.
  40. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Champion (856) May 10, 2009 Colorado

Businesses being open on Sundays does not equate to a 7 day work week. Labor laws, including the 40 hour work week factor in hours worked on Sundays. Why should the world come to a standstill on Sunday as opposed to any other day of the week? There are plenty of people producing things, overseeing public safety, and generally advancing human interests on any given day of the week. If your religion mandates otherwise, fine. But it's safe to say that the origins of certain 'blue laws' are becoming less and less relevant to today's modern religiously diverse society.

SipIt, leezy, BrettHead and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe