Modern Times coming to WA/OR

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by distantmantra, Dec 21, 2016.

1. distantmantra

distantmantra Savant (968) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Just saw over on their Facebook page that they're hiring a sales rep for WA and OR. I like their beers and will gladly pick them up. Wonder if we'll see Accumulated Knowledge at Trader Joe's...

2. mudbug

mudbug Zealot (590) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

As long as they don't make a blood pact with Columbia Distributing (spawn of Satan) it will be welcome

JasonJYoung likes this.
  3. cherche

cherche Savant (979) Mar 27, 2013 Washington
    Beer Trader

one of my go to breweries since moving to california, i like a lot of what they do. enjoy!

4. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Initiate (155) Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Subscriber Beer Trader

YES! Really enjoy their barrel aged beers. Modern Times also roasts excellent coffee beans and produces outstanding cold brew in cans.

Love hearing news like this! Keep it coming with more beer companies entering our market.

#4 JasonJYoung, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  5. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Disciple (394) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Been looking forward to this since a friend from SoCal gave me a couple cans of Black House two years ago!

6. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Yeah, I was wondering if we'll see their coffee beans. The barrel aged beans are awesome.

JasonJYoung likes this.
  7. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Initiate (155) Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Subscriber Beer Trader

With the volumes Modern Times is pushing, I'd bet Columbia gets the contract. Not sure about Oregon, but the other likely candidate to distribute in Seattle would be Odom Distributing.

So what you're really saying is that over time, we should expect to find outdated or borderline fresh beers once they hit the retailer? 9 out of 10 times, it's not the brewery's fault. Thus, we all know why fresh beers tend to sit in the distributors warehouse way too long!

8. mudbug

I have a sneaky suspicion that what they do is ship old beer out to the coast when inland won't accept it. (How else does already expired Dirt Wolf hit the shelves)

JasonJYoung likes this.
  9. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Disciple (308) Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

We get Modern Times in Canada, woo woo, and it's actually pretty fresh all things considered. Without a border in the way I'd imagine you guys will be a bit better off.

10. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Devotee (406) Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Beer Trader

You honestly think we haven't implemented a border between ourselves and California? The international boundary, as far as we're concerned, resides along the 42nd Parallel, not the 49th. We're more compatriots with you than we are with them...

Now, where's my poutine and TIMBITSĀ®? :)

vurt, kemoarps and sharpski like this.
  11. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Disciple (308) Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Considering how easy it is to get into Washington you might be right ;) Poutine you gotta go East. We just have soggy fries here

EdwardAbbey likes this.
  12. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Fritz's Fry House is legit, and I've eaten a ton of poutine in Quebec.

Robomunky likes this.
  13. NathanA

NathanA Initiate (131) Sep 26, 2015 Idaho
    Beer Trader

I really haven't studied up much on the seedy underbelly of the beer business...err, distribution, but I almost never hear flattering things about distributors, no matter who we're talking about. People gripe about Columbia here, I have heard critical things about Odom in other contexts, etc. Is it just a fact of life that all distributors suck?

-- Nathan

14. cherche

Beer Trader

ouch :(

15. sanford_and_son

sanford_and_son Aspirant (280) Jul 23, 2012 Washington

This news pleases me.

16. EdwardAbbey

Beer Trader

Not to worry, and no offense to you personally, of course. As a natural-born Cascadian, the secret return tunnel will always be open to you. Just don't forget to decontaminate yourself first.;)

(Modern Times, based on my limited sampling, is quite welcome, too.)

17. cherche

Beer Trader

:)

EdwardAbbey likes this.
  18. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Me as well. My parents were just down at MT and brought me back some Accumulated Knowledge and a swass gold and turquoise metallic chevron glass. Glad I'll be doing #properglassware with it regularly.

NWer, ballardbeer and sharpski like this.
  19. Texwild

Texwild Initiate (171) May 1, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

All distributors suck if you are not selling beer fast or are not up for the business side of things. Distributors are like retailers and customers...you can't make beer without them so why complain about the business you chose?

Everybody complains about every distributor at one time or another..the only one we have that works against craft here is AB-I. The rest from Columbia to Odom and Sound and Marine View and Orcas, etc are actually pretty great. This here ain't nothing like the East Coast or the South

NathanA, 66jzmstr, NWer and 2 others like this.
  20. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,555) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

In all fairness, the Inbev house up here, Sound, seems to do a pretty good job repping their craft brands. you see their eps out and interacting with both staff and customers, and you also see them out and about at the breweries and bars around town, actually drinking beer. They've done a good job getting craft brands into places you wouldn't expect; when I can go into the mini-mart a couple blocks from my place, and get a growler fill from Melvin, I see that as doing a good job for their breweries.

ballardbeer likes this.
  21. Robomunky

Robomunky Disciple (320) May 14, 2015 Washington
    Subscriber

I can't speak to the brewer-distributor side of things but I will say that at the retail level, we almost all hate dealing with Columbia a lot more than the others. They're sort of the Total Wine of distributors, as far as their reps lacking knowledge and generally not being interested in either the product or being helpful in other ways. Conversations about them tend to include a lot of eyerolling and groans.

22. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,451) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Which probably colors my impression as well, after living back East for so long.

I'm always surprised when I hear complaints about distributors out here. In comparison to what I used to see (and hear about) pretty regularly in SEPA, the distributors out here all seem pretty great.

Just a quick example for some context. I won't mention the beer bar or distributor, but I remember one taphouse outside Philly refusing to buy any more beer from a certain distributor in the area, after one too many times getting stiffed on a promised keg or kegs for a special event (and subsequently learning that the keg had gone to some other nearby bar that had been willing to provide certain incentives to the distributor that the taphouse had not made). This particular distributor was the Founders supplier for the area, so this was a pretty big decision. That was 5 or 6 years ago, and after checking their always outstanding online taplist just now, there still are no Founder's beers on the list!

So yeah... comparatively speaking, everything seems like rainbows, sunshine and unicorns out here.

#22 John_M, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    vurt and beertunes like this.
  23. mudbug

I heartily disagree that Columbia is "great" I can easily find out of date beer supplied by them at nearly every outlet they service.

24. NathanA

Beer Trader

Fair enough. At least with how things stand today, you are correct. I still like to play the "what if" game from time to time, though: What if we didn't still have all of these laws that date all the way back to the lifting of prohibition? Would distributors, at least as we know and conceive of them today, still be a thing? What if one extra level of indirection between you and the customer was removed from the equation?

What if you could make beer without them?

I can definitely see how the concept of a distributor can be (and is) a positive good for the business, and likely is a real help when it comes to the logistics of getting your wares where they need to go and stocked on shelves. If you can offload all of that work to someone else, then great, because you can go back to focusing and spending more of your energy on the actual craft. But there is a sense I get (which could be entirely wrong/misinformed) that in a lot of ways, the business model of the adult beverage distributor is artificially propped up by laws that in essence require them to be present in the transaction if you want to move and sell beer outside of the four walls of your own establishment (you don't choose to use a distributor, you have to use a distributor). And if that is true, that seems like a recipe for complacency in that industry.

-- Nathan

25. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Aspirant (225) Nov 10, 2013 Washington
    Beer Trader

I think you're forgetting that distributors know territory that is foreign to most breweries. If you're a growing brewery and want to brew more beer, how do you sell it? How do you get your beers on the shelf in Idaho when you don't even know what stores to sell at?

You can make beer without them. But you can't expand your reach efficiently without them.

vurt likes this.
  26. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,555) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

In WA, breweries can self-distribute. But, it would make no sense for a, say, Bellingham brewery to try to self-distribute in Spokane. If you thinks things are bad with the way distributors dole special beers to accounts who buy a lot of the shelf beers, it would be worse without them. We would be back to having Tied houses in short order.

ballardbeer likes this.
  27. mudbug

Coals to Newcastle

beertunes likes this.
  28. NathanA

Beer Trader

I did not know this about WA; very interesting.

Still, crossing state borders complicates things exponentially from a regulatory standpoint.

-- Nathan

beertunes likes this.
  29. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Oregon breweries of a certain size are allowed to do the same in WA. Upright, Commons, Crux and Cascade all did at one point.

30. Babbo

Babbo Initiate (135) Mar 13, 2014 Washington

beertunes likes this.
  31. dphi

dphi Initiate (153) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Does MT bottle/can date?

ballardbeer likes this.
  32. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Yep.

33. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aspirant (283) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Definitely. Look at other widely available things like potato chips or soda. There's no rule that says Frito Lay or Pepsi can't self-distribute everywhere in the country, but it would be a logistical nightmare to run your own warehouses and fleets of trucks to deliver one individual brand. Instead, they sign up with distributors so that they can make one big shipment to each region and then let the distributor handle it from there.

sharpski and beertunes like this.
  34. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Anyone heard any news on MT heading up here since the announcment/search for a sales dude?

@ModernTimesJacob ?

35. EdwardAbbey

Beer Trader

Chuck's 85th is hosting a Modern Times release party on 2/23. Make of that what you will.:)

GregoryMo, Joshbiir, NWer and 2 others like this.
  36. distantmantra

Beer Trader

:cool:

37. ModernTimesJacob

ModernTimesJacob Initiate (180) Apr 24, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Launch events will be Feb 22nd-26th in WA, two weeks later in OR. After that, it'll be full regular distro of everything other than tasting room-only releases. So seasonals, monthly bombers & cans, some funky/sour 750s, etc...We're extremely excited for this and are consequently lavishing attention on these launches; there will be loads of barrel-aged rarities at the events. We've also got several collabs in the works, including with Great Notion & Wandering Aengus. Looking forward to partying with you all, and always feel free to tag me with any questions.

Cheers & thanks,
    Jacob McKean
    Modern Times Beer

38. ModernTimesJacob

Beer Trader

Oh, and yes, next run of Accumulated Knowledge is slated for May and should see solid PNW distribution.

Cheers & thanks,
    Jacob McKean
    Modern Times Beer

boralyl, Jbagel1, sharpski and 3 others like this.
  39. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Thanks! Any chance we'll see cold brew coffee and coffee beans as well?

40. ModernTimesJacob

Beer Trader

Beans: we will ship beans anywhere right now. We have an online store for retail sales and a separate one for wholesale, so if you want 'em, you can get 'em.

Cold brew cans: working on it. Distributing non-alcoholic stuff is a different world; some of our beer wholesalers can do it, some can't. It will happen, but not across the entire PNW at the same time. We'll announce it as markets come online.

Cheers & thanks,
    Jacob McKean
    Modern Times Beer/Coffee

JonnyBeers, boralyl, jpbebeau and 4 others like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe