Modern Times League of Partygoers and Elegant People (2019)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by johnInLA, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (255) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Trader

Just email them before you go and ask for stock counts, problem solved.

anvindr likes this.
  2. BeerBaron666

BeerBaron666 Aspirant (229) May 13, 2009 California
    Trader

Those new nilla cans are insanely good. Best batch yet

3. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Disciple (321) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

This will be my approach. Just contributed another $13 and already enjoying what I got in return.

Thenomad512 and anvindr like this.
  4. pro100

pro100 Initiate (105) Oct 12, 2014 California

Finally got my cans from the Dojo late last night.. Man this DDH MT5 is something special! Might have to make another trip before they're all gone again

OTB likes this.
  5. mlobster

mlobster Initiate (61) Dec 30, 2012 California
    Trader

Better than Hedge Witch?

6. ModernTimesLeanne

ModernTimesLeanne Initiate (41) Apr 20, 2018 California

In general, it would be overall easier not to email inquiring about inventory, since this largely shouldn't be an issue moving forward. If we are low or out of inventory, we'll send out a notification as soon as we hear it from our tasting room staff. In my experience, this has only ever been an issue at the Dojo on the first weekend of pickups, due to people picking up very large orders.
    We send beer to LA on Tuesdays & Fridays, so Wednesdays & Fridays are the best days to drop by there, when we're freshly stocked. But like I said, I can only recall seeing inventory problems happen on the first weekend of pickups, so this shouldn't be an issue otherwise.
    This is absolutely something we work to avoid and are coming up with new solutions to prevent it in the future.
    If someone is coming into town from out of state once every 3 months to get beer, then shooting us an email might be advised. If it is an average trip just to swing through, an email shouldn't be necessary.

7. Thenomad512

Thenomad512 Initiate (59) Mar 19, 2019 California
    Trader

@dcbullet @anvindr

I mean, couldn't they have authorized more shares to drop the price so that more fans would be enticed to buy a share just to tell the person behind the counter that "they're an owner" the next time they're at one of the taprooms?

There's a comment on the AMA saying the "goal is to ensure that fan voices are represented at all levels of the company in perpetuity". How does buying non-voting stock and a stock price that isn't affected by supply and demand for said stock give fans a voice?

To each their own but, this particular offering seems silly to me. 250 bucks can buy me a lot of cans and beer tastes a lot better than diluted shares.

chemman14 likes this.
  8. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (905) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Honestly, if the choice is between buying cans or investing, you should buy cans.

If you looking to impress the person behind the MT counter, not that I have found that was ever necessary for good service, let them know you are a member. Given that customer service is a pillar of the business, you won't need to own a share to get it.

If you are looking to make a quick buck, you should pass.

The valuation does seems a bit lofty, so if that keeps you up at night, don't buy in and sleep well.

On the other hand, if you want to roll the dice with a small investment on a company that you already believe in, it might be worth consideration..

I personally, have no issues with Venture Capital, Big Beer, or capital injections from a variety of sources, and have great respect for people who build businesses and create jobs, and think they deserve to benefit from the risk they take and their contribution to a better world.

While I know many of you disagree with me on some or all of those points and have great concerns about people "selling out".

So here comes a company with a new innovative approach to financing the growth of the business, which avoids VC, Big Beer or capital sources that concern you..

I think everyone should spend their hard earned money wisely. This opportunity is not for everyone. But one thing to consider, is investing is not always about just making money. Its about creating things that improve the world around us. But the money part does generally follows, in time.

Just a thought.

#808 johnInLA, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  9. dcbullet

dcbullet Initiate (135) Dec 18, 2013 California

They can make it whatever share price they want by picking the number of share. That has no impact on the actual valuation of the company.

They probably don't want 10,000 shareholders who own 1 share worth ten bucks. To be honest, if I were them, I'd make the share price higher for that exact reason.

johnInLA and anvindr like this.
  10. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (255) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Trader

seems its been an issue enough for this person to be passively complaining on BA, which doesnt do anyone any good and was my point in telling them to email at all... but this is good to know. glad you guys are trying to work through a solution.

on a semi related note, are you still only shipping 5 mags at a time to the dojo? Went to go pick up a mag and was told stock was depleted because only 5 get sent at time. Id like to avoid making trips just for 1 bottle and not being able to pick it up. does that warrant an email?

11. OTB

OTB Devotee (486) Sep 2, 2011 California

Not even in the same conversation, IMHO DDHMT5! is the best DIPA MT has ever produced, it's on that level. The latest batch of Hedge Witch was good but it was a bit to sweet for my palate.

Cheers,

12. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (274) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

I wish I could agree with your statement about DDHmt5. I preferred Unlike birds over ddh easily. Even side by side with easy as , enjoyed Easy as over DDHmt5.

Was this today? If so, maybe I got the last mag of Chaos Grid last night .

swolepeer likes this.
  13. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (114) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

DDH MT5 > easy as> unlike birds for me. Something about other half's hop burn in their beers does not sit well with my tastes

Black_Rider and anvindr like this.
  14. Fippy_Darkpaw

Fippy_Darkpaw Aspirant (218) Sep 14, 2010 California
    Trader

Opposite for me, but I'm 99% sure that's b/c DDHMT5 is more nelson forward and I freaking love nelson hops. Both great beers though and I agree, DDHMT5 is the best MT IPA to date.

OTB likes this.
  15. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (274) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Burn? Interesting. I rarely have Other half, so I'm not aware.

But, if anything - I taste "burn" from DDH MT5. Unlike Birds, was super smooth like silk.

croush likes this.
  16. annakarina

annakarina Initiate (174) Jul 29, 2016 California

DDH MT5 is easily one of my favorite MT IPAs. Now I'm thinking about heading there for another 4-pack tonight since I only have two cans left...

Black_Rider, carnevoodoo and OTB like this.
  17. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Disciple (307) May 13, 2014 California
    Trader

and yet there is still ZERO hype for any of their IPAs. DDH MT5 sits around on the shelf at the brewery for 2 weeks... meanwhile, people are still freaking out about Monkish... :/

18. OTB

Everyone here knows I am a rather regular Monkish consumer and I have no problem saying that DDHMT5! is as good if not better than a lot of Monkish DIPAs. But reefer bob, you can't have hype if you don't have the lines :astonished:

Cheers,

19. OTB

And I am the boards resident Nelson whore.....so there's that !

Cheers,

20. OTB

Apparently a lot of other people think DDHMT5! is outstanding too. I just checked the untappd score and it's a 4.4, pretty impressive, not that untappd is the final word on beer, but its a good indicator of how that beer is being viewed.Also I think this is one of, if not the highest scored MT DIPAs to date.

Cheers,

Fippy_Darkpaw likes this.
  21. Fippy_Darkpaw

Fippy_Darkpaw Aspirant (218) Sep 14, 2010 California
    Trader

Just checked, indeed it is their highest scored IPA/DIPA.

22. pro100

pro100 Initiate (105) Oct 12, 2014 California

Its not even close

DDH MT5>>>>

BeerBaron666 and mlobster like this.
  23. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (888) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

ESOP is a joke. It’s not guaranteed. We had ESOP when I I first hired in at my company. That was 1996. All employees or most had ESOP. 2 years after 911 we files chapter 11. Everybody lost their ESOP. At the time I had over 150k in my ESOP. Didn’t receive a penny. It’s not a guarantee. So how is this a garauntee for the fans who are about to invest? When Alpine Beer Company was asking for investors I thought about it. I’m glad I didn’t. I’m too close to retirement I’m not going to invest in something that’s not 100% garauntee return. I’m hearing stuff that MT need cash to continue with their projects in Anaheim and Santa Barbera. From their most recent photos of the Anaheim location they are far from being finished. Maybe they got themselves to deep into Kimchee? I hope I’m wrong. I love MT. Don’t want to see them go under or get bought out buy InBev. But.....:no_mouth:

24. dcgunman

Trader

Maybe the boys at MT need to have a talk with Henry over at Monks? After all Monks did a complete turn around and saved themselves with the haze craze. And they didn’t go crazy and expand. Still Monks in Torrance with the No IPA gone. :wink:

25. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (669) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

It's like....if you read the thread the answer would have been there.... =P

anvindr likes this.
  26. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (568) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

life is uncertain, guns

anvindr likes this.
  27. ModernTimesJacob

ModernTimesJacob Initiate (85) Apr 24, 2012 California
    Brewery

You heard wrong. Again, I'm always here to answer questions, so it would be cool if people would just ask instead of speculating wildly. I think I've proven many times over the years that I'm nothing if not completely honest and transparent with our fans.

Our current projects are funded through the loan we received from Live Oak Bank. The crowd funding campaign is not to fund those projects. A detailed breakdown of the use of funds is listed on the Wefunder page.

Cheers & thanks,
    Jacob McKean
    Modern Times Beer

28. dcgunman

Trader

Exactly. Too old. Too close to retirement. Too many great IPA’s to be had. Not enough time.

anvindr likes this.
  29. dcgunman

Trader

I don’t do WeFund. But I get your point. I’m not trying to be negative here. I want all independent business’s to succeed. My own opinion as I said before I thought you guys were moving to fast with all the tasting rooms/brewery. Maybe I’m looking at it wrong. I’m not in the biz. I’m just looking at it from a people’s view. I seen this too many times. I want the Anaheim location to open up. I want to be able to once again wear my speedos. I want to drink more MT IPA’s. I wish you guys would brew more west coast clear IPA’s. When BS sold out for a billion I stop drinking their products. I want to keep drinking MT IPA’s. I hope you guys get your funding. I just don’t believe you should ask the people for money. Only my opinion. I’ll probably get hell for saying that, but I don’t care. Most guys here care less about my opinion.

Apologies if I misunderstood you or if you took it the wrong way Steve. Just my feelings about GoFundMe or WeFund. Again I almost fell into the trap with OG Alpine years ago before GF took over.

30. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (568) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

all I care about is seeing you in speedos when Anaheim opens

31. dcgunman

Trader

Thx @Black_Rider. I’m glad somebody cares about my speedos.

Black_Rider and anvindr like this.
  32. dcbullet

dcbullet Initiate (135) Dec 18, 2013 California

His name is Jacob.

Rick760Sd, dcgunman and anvindr like this.
  33. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Disciple (321) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

More than 50% reserved. Congrats on that!

34. awald

awald Initiate (63) Aug 15, 2015 California
    Trader

DDH MT5 is delicious. Please bring more to DTLA, so I can buy more. That is all.

FrogOut69, anvindr and BeerBaron666 like this.
  35. johnInLA

Society Trader

I am saddened by the fact WebFunder needs my SS#. That's a show stopper for me. I don't know WebFunder or their security procedures to protect my SS#. The risk of identity thief for me far out weighs the loss of the investment.

But I do wish MT the best on this,. Wish I could be a part if it.

anvindr and m34josh like this.
  36. SDReaper

Trader

If it makes you feel any better...most of your information was already stolen from, at least, the Equifax data breach back in 2017.

croush, anvindr and chrisjws like this.
  37. johnInLA

Society Trader

The point being I should now just freely give out my SS#.

Honestly, I am a supporter here. If I could go through my broker, I'ld be in. I wish MT success here. But some information I keep tight. Sharing my SS# on a web site is on non-starter for me. My loss, definitely.

Hope to meet you at the Adelaide this year.

38. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (869) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

I will invest only if we can get a wine barrel aged cherry sour with glitter called "Blood of Xul"

39. SDReaper

Trader

I'll be the pasty white guy that looks like death but is still wearing all black for some reason.

You know...basically my picture, but replace the scythe with a bottle.

40. dcgunman

Trader

Don’t Fear the Reaper

anvindr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.