1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Modern Times League of Partygoers and Elegant People (2019)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by johnInLA, Jan 1, 2019.

1. IcyTrout

IcyTrout Initiate (117) Feb 1, 2018 California

Sunday they had Abaddon cans in the fridges behind the bar and they were for pre-sale pickup only. Crazy to me that Abaddon sold out before MT5. What a world we live in!

elproducer and MonkeyBread like this.
  2. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (535) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

Well, you asked me how I would feel and I answered honestly and laid out my reasons why. If you don't believe me, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I stand by my opinion that pick ups are by far way better overall at MT than at the Bruery, but I'll refrain from elaborating on that as it's been covered before. And, I don't want to incur further wrath of fervid Bruery fanboy nerds who get angry if when someone criticizes the Society. I have felt their wrath, and it is unpleasant

3. wolf13

wolf13 Initiate (135) Dec 11, 2014 California
    Trader

Throwing my experience/two cents in. Several months ago I went up LA to pick up my League order and was told one of the stouts was not available as the stock had been depleted and they hadn’t refilled it yet. Since it’s a minimum two hour round trip drive from OC to LA (c’mon Anaheim open!), it’s not an easy or quick trip up. Fortunately it was a stout though, so I could just pick it up the next time I went up due to the 3-mo pick up window. However, if it had been an IPA, there’s no way I would’ve been able to get back up there within the pickup window.

Since then, I typically email the League the day or so before my intended drive up to LA to make sure they have my order in stock so I can change my plans if need be. More often than not Steven/Leanne have promptly gotten back to me before my drive up and said everything is in stock. Having been told on multiple platforms that the Dojo has limited storage available, a little bit of this type of quick prep work saves a lot of drive time/hassle.

4. asong_net

asong_net Initiate (90) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Trader

I’m getting The Wire vibes with the word re-up haha

pro100, Marquizzle, m34josh and 3 others like this.
  5. ModernTimesSteven

ModernTimesSteven Initiate (44) Jun 5, 2017 California

Going forward we will page everyone when the beer is back in stock :grin: I love that show.

asong_net, jwacky and IcyTrout like this.
  6. NicIsAwesome

NicIsAwesome Initiate (51) Jun 30, 2014 California

I remember a couple years ago i had to drive down south from long beach to pick up a certain mexican hot chocolate styled beverage and the location ran out. They took down my info and within a day or two i had a box labeled "live yeast samples" sitting at my front door. I got a huge kick out of that and totally appreciate the effort.

m34josh, johnInLA, reefer_bob and 2 others like this.
  7. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (235) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Yeah, no big deal with a stout or merch. (they ran out of merch at the dojo on sunday monster madness) Never thought to email in advance, but I also don't want to bother them anymore than I do already. hmmm.

I could be wrong, but that doesn't mean Abaddon is sold out. They may just mean there isn't any available due to low supply until it's restocked. I think that because the website still shows it's available togo.

I'm hoping I'll have time to stop by tonight. If so, I'll find out about Abaddon. Thinking I should grab more.

8. Xul

Xul Crusader (770) May 18, 2008 California

I'm assuming from context you're referring to the Dojo - if so, don't forget they're closed on Tuesdays now.

9. IcyTrout

I assumed that too and asked the bartender and he confirmed Abaddon was sold out but MT5 was only sold out due to member pickups and would be replenished.

10. Yabu

Trader

haha, good catch! Thank you so much.

11. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Aspirant (287) May 13, 2014 California
    Trader

Exactly this. I either drive 6 hours to DTLA, or 9 hours to SD to do pickups. While the SD pickups are guaranteed, DTLA is not. Quick email is the way to go!

Dimidiata and Yabu like this.
  12. IcyTrout

Yeah but the problem with the email is it's still not guarunteed. For example, i went to the Dojo right at open on Sunday and was able to pick up my 3 MT5 4 packs. Apparently those may have been the very last 4 packs. So you would have emailed Saturday asking if it's good to go Sunday and they say yes good to go then you get there and it's not good to go.

warrendietrich2001 likes this.
  13. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (619) Mar 10, 2013 California

But in this scenario, did you call a FULL 24HRS in advance???

Oh wait, wrong thread.

Nevermind. :stuck_out_tongue:

m34josh, IcyTrout and anvindr like this.
  14. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (128) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

If I got a crowler of Foeder Ice at the FWL on Sunday, is that the same as Foeder Ice dry hopped with saphir? It definitely just said "Foeder Ice" on the board, but I didn't look at the menu, which has the "with saphir" online currently.

15. Xul

Same beer, Andrew confirmed that all of the Foeder Ice kegs from this batch are dry hopped with Saphir.

Brent212 likes this.
  16. IcyTrout

It tapped out on Saturday at the Dojo :slight_frown: Was really looking forward to trying that one.

17. pro100

pro100 Disciple (301) Oct 12, 2014 California
    Society

Prop Joe and the Russian plug controls what cans get released into the streets

Zalamero and NicIsAwesome like this.
  18. NicIsAwesome

NicIsAwesome Initiate (51) Jun 30, 2014 California

Maybe for the east side hazy stuff but if you want that west side clear stuff, you see Stringer Bell

pro100 and Zalamero like this.
  19. D09daryl

D09daryl Initiate (70) Mar 11, 2017 California
    Trader

20. jwacky

jwacky Initiate (66) Apr 13, 2017 California

I love that they've done what they set out to do, rather than this being one of those hilariously embarrassing, "Remember when they said they'd never..." type of things. Only regret was never seeing that kickstarter somehow and not having my dome featured prominently at Lomaland, haha.

21. D09daryl

Trader

I'm gonna look for those pics next time i'm there, haha

richloma likes this.
  22. Xul

They're pretty hard to miss...

SDReaper likes this.
  23. IcyTrout

You've never noticed those velvet pictures before? They are amazing and slightly creepy at the same time. AKA perfect. It's honestly the first piece of art I noticed my first time there (well other than the huge wall mural)

24. D09daryl

Trader

I can't say that i've ever noticed them, but i'm not there very often being from LA. Where are they located?

25. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (635) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Enter Lomaland and turn to your right. Or, order your beer and turn immediately around.

26. D09daryl

Trader

Found them on goodle, idk how i never noticed them

27. IcyTrout

I bet as soon as you see them this time you will realize you saw them all along but just didn't pay attention. They are a couple feet from the door that you enter/exit from.

28. Yabu

Trader

interesting email.

BECOME A CO-OWNER OF MODERN TIMES

Daniel_T and jwacky like this.
  29. Daniel_T

Daniel_T Initiate (45) Feb 19, 2015 California

definitely looking forward to finding out more

30. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (619) Mar 10, 2013 California

They are expanding into Germany and need money for their shiny new brewery over there. I see no reason why it won't succeed. :stuck_out_tongue:

JK, jk, jk!

31. IcyTrout

What isn't answered in the email or the wefund page (from what I can see) is how we would realize a return on this investment.

Rocket80 likes this.
  32. jwacky

jwacky Initiate (66) Apr 13, 2017 California

My somewhat rudimentary understanding is that you would get paid out if they sold or go public.

33. IcyTrout

Right, which they have said multiple times that they never plan on doing that.

34. da_beer_badboy

da_beer_badboy Initiate (56) Feb 9, 2017 California

This opportunity a league only thing right now?

35. skelliott

skelliott Initiate (71) Jul 2, 2013 California

League members appear to be able to reserve shares in advance before the campaign officially launches on 4/21.

36. da_beer_badboy

They could issue dividends to investors based on profits?

The site doesn’t give any information on that sort of thing?

Yabu likes this.
  37. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (804) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society

Deal Terms
    Priced Round
    $264M pre-money valuation | $252.20/share

Stock, No Dividends. When a startup is at a stage where they can afford to pay lawyers tens of thousands of dollars, they will do a "priced round". Like the stock market, you are buying equity at a fixed price per share (or unit for LLC's). If the company is successful, the value of the stock can increase with each subsequent round of financing, until the company is acquired or goes public. Then you earn a return.

This info was pulled from WeFunder

38. IcyTrout

Right, something Modern Times has been pretty outspoken about never doing.

39. da_beer_badboy

What other info do they give you? Seems weird that they want people to “invest” in a liquidity event they’re adamant will never happen.

40. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (526) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

If it's an actual share in their private company isn't there the opportunity to sell it at a later date to another shareholder?