Modern Times League of Partygoers and Elegant People (2019)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by johnInLA, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Zealot (552) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Beers like Chaos Grid and Modem Tones Date Shake are definitely worth the price for me because they were extremely well executed and unique. Some other beers are quite a bit more expensive than some comparable beers though. While I enjoyed MP Vanilla ($16 per can), I don't think it's considerably better than let's say Revolution Vanilla Deth, which sold for $35 for a 4-pack. If beers like Vanilla Deth were available here at the same or similar price points, I'd opt for them instead. I appreciate MT but their barrel aged beers are priced on the higher side for sure.

tonystarks, Yabu and Ponzu4u like this.
  2. annakarina

annakarina Initiate (174) Jul 29, 2016 California

I'm definitely a bit weary on the prices of a lot of their bottles. My usual compromise is to stick with their other beer then get a 5oz pour or two of their BA stouts whenever I head in to pick up cans.

3. wilymobastardo

wilymobastardo Aspirant (213) Jan 12, 2015 California
    Trader

My compromise is to tell the kids they're eating cereal for dinner tonight.

4. LGHT

LGHT Aspirant (210) Sep 28, 2007 California
    Trader

I think the sticker shock was on the haze. Hes not into stouts and said Portland is full of great haze and they will never sell at those prices. I agree with the stouts worth it for me!

5. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (888) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

MT prices are on the high side for sure. Doesn’t stop me from visiting. Just not as often as I’d like. Maybe when the Anaheim location opens?

Thenomad512 likes this.
  6. Izzy_Izumi

Izzy_Izumi Initiate (132) Aug 3, 2017 California
    Trader

I also agree it's a little high, but I can't help but buy the BA stuff. I'm fairly lax on the cans though.

7. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (114) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

Their haze prices are in line with all the other breweries of the same caliber. They generally use 6-10 pounds of hops (often hand selected) per bbl, which is on the higher end from what I've observed in the industry.

8. Ponzu4u

Ponzu4u Initiate (55) Jun 19, 2015 California
    Trader

Except they're not.

26$ for a TIPA (Tiger Millionaire) is higher than I've ever seen Monkish, Mumford, Treehouse, Trillium, Great Notion, Electric, Bissell, 450 North, Weldwerks, Outer Range, etc. release. 24$ for a DIPA (MT5, Unlike Birds...) is also higher than comparable breweries have released. 16$ for a crowler fill is undeniably on the higher end for the average crowler fill at comparable breweries.

Everything that I've ever read about beer suggests diminishing returns at a certain level of hop additions. Otherwise it would just be a race to add the most hops to beers. But here it seems to be the implication that Modern Times somehow has figured out a way to use MORE HOPS in their beers than any other comparable brewery, again more than Treehouse, Trillium, Monkish, etc. And yet the quality seems to be about the same. So you're using more hops at a higher cost to end up with basically the same result as breweries who use less hops at lower cost.

I'm also unclear on the suggestion that MT somehow knows exactly how much hops all these other breweries add to each of their recipes as well as at what cost they purchase their hops.

If someone in the facebook group could link to the video where MT breaks down their cost comparison that would be super helpful.

9. annakarina

Most of their hazies are usually around $20. Last month was definitely on the higher side.

OTB and jamshard2mash like this.
  10. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

IIRC, Mist Dragon and such were roughly in line with pilsners from Monkish. So I'm definitely okay with that.

11. jamshard2mash

Trader

Yea that was certainly an outlier. Highest MT has ever charged for an IPA. Don't quote me but I think they used like 11 pounds per bbl on that one.

OTB likes this.
  12. Xul

Xul Champion (815) May 18, 2008 California

https://moderntimesbeer.podbean.com/

They discuss it on Episode 2 of their podcast.

Ponzu4u, jamshard2mash and OTB like this.
  13. StoutOfIdeas

StoutOfIdeas Initiate (49) Feb 20, 2018 California
    Trader

Holy moly.... That email that was sent out. Praying to the beer gods that I'll be lucky enough to snag one of those boxed sets!

14. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

Holy crap. That email.

Okay, really want that box set...that's a helluva asking price too though.

15. StrangerBrews

StrangerBrews Initiate (134) Oct 27, 2015 California
    Trader

Anyone have a link to what the custom suitcases will look like for the $150 box set bottles/glass?

16. jamshard2mash

Trader

Crazy theory gets 3 out of the gate. But I'm sure we've all seen crazier things. Good luck to all!

croush and Marco_Gtz like this.
  17. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Savant (943) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Agreed. The two tiers thing has never really bothered me before, but this kinda does. 500 made and 375 went to Theory??? That's whack.

18. ModernTimesJacob

ModernTimesJacob Initiate (85) Apr 24, 2012 California
    Brewery

There was a healthy internal debate about whether these beers should be Theory exclusives, which was our default assumption going into it. I felt it was better to offer some availability to the League, even if it meant some complaints. These beers were just insanely labor intensive to produce and even making 500 sets was an enormous all-hands-on-deck effort that really stretched us to the breaking point, so there was no way to make enough for everyone. Hopefully this was the right approach.

Cheers & thanks,
    Jacob McKean
    Modern Times Beer

19. jamshard2mash

Trader

Yea I'm actually not that mad at it. I just figured they would have the chance to buy 2 out of the 500 but 3! Yowza. No doubt it'll be some great trade bait

tokimedo and Marco_Gtz like this.
  20. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (150) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

I doubt everyone in theory buys 3 sets.

21. Xul

Xul Champion (815) May 18, 2008 California

Hell yeah, man, I can't wait to trade one for three-month-old Monkish cans that have been sitting in the back of someone's fridge. Hoping to get at least two four packs but I might need to add.

22. J-loco

J-loco Aspirant (211) Jan 23, 2015 California
    Trader

I met some guy at monkish who told me he buys all the Bottle Logic stouts just to trade them for east coast IPA's :confused:

reefer_bob and chemman14 like this.
  23. annakarina

I'm not in the league but I'm curious what these sets are.

24. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (568) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

:slight_frown:

25. skelliott

skelliott Initiate (76) Jul 2, 2013 California

Here's what we did: we blended an absolutely incredible base beer consisting of Modem Tones Aged in Maple Bourbon Barrels, Beastmaster Aged in Bourbon Barrels, and Dragon Mask Aged in Bourbon Barrels. Everything we've learned from the Chaos Grid series, we applied to making this unbelievably delicious blend. Then, we split it up into three batches and hit each batch with a ludicrous quantity of our three favorite adjuncts: coffee, coconut, & vanilla.

The beers exceeded all expectations. We have never tasted anything like them, ever. Yes, they are each luxuriously rich in coffee, coconut, and vanilla, respectively, but they are also amazingly complex. The depth of flavor and the nuance of each adjunct is on full display. It's a truly incredible sensory experience that we've never experienced before in a beverage. It's like tasting Zeus's tears.

Beer of this caliber couldn't just be packaged as usual; it would be a grave injustice to the precious liquid inside. So we set our legendary Art Department wild on these things. Behold the ridiculousness: 1) Each label is screen printed in-house, based--naturally--on gorgeous one-off designs meant to utilize the full, extravagant capabilities of our printing workshop, 2) Each label is hand numbered 1-500 by Amy, our Director of Art, 3) Each label was then hand applied to the bottles by a member of the MT team, including Jacob, our Founder & CEO, 4) Each bottle is wax dipped to add even more flair and to keep the bottle caps safe for aging, and 5) The three bottles--plus a one-off, never to be sold anywhere else glass--were then placed in our gorgeous custom suitcases.

MT ULTRA: COCONUT EDITION
    This beer was dosed with an absolutely staggering 55 pounds per barrel of coconut (roughly 1.6lbs per gallon), the majority of which was toasted in-house, with a smaller quantity of raw coconut in the mix as well. You've never tasted or smelled a coconut beer like this before, guaranteed. It is decadent beyond words, rich as the uncle you wish you had, and fragrant like the musk of a tropical god. It's the most obscenely delicious coconut beer we can possibly imagine.
    ABV: 13.2%
    Format: 22oz Bottle

MT ULTRA: VANILLA EDITION
    Loaded with a cornucopia of vanilla from all over the world at the astounding rate of 1.5 pounds per barrel, this is the most vanilla laden beer we’ve ever created--and the most expensive. In order to capture the Full Spectrum Vanilla Experience, we utilized beans from Madagascar, Uganda, Mexico, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, and Tahiti. The result is an astoundingly complex beer that introduces you to aspects of the vanilla bean you didn't even know existed. This beer is like tasting a marshmallow in 12 dimensions, coated in chocolate harvested by mermaids.

MT ULTRA: COFFEE EDITION
    We wanted this beer to showcase everything that is possible with beer and coffee. So we loaded it with 5 pounds per barrel of our house-roasted Black House Blend via our usual "dry beaning" method, then added a massive quantity of freshly pulled Guardian Spirit espresso shots from our Lomaland cafe, and then hit it with a generous helping of Ethiopia Guji cold brew concentrate. If you remember Modem Tones: Super Coffee Edition from a couple of years back, expect an even more boss-level incarnation of that. The richness of the base beer--in which the maple is definitely evident--pairs incredibly well with the luscious coffee character from our house-roasted beans. It's a beer only Modern Times could make.

SUPER DOPE MT ULTRA GLASS
    An ultra-luxe metallic-silver beverage vessel for all your Ultra drinking needs.

annakarina likes this.
  26. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Devotee (430) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

And cans are tasting amazing 2 weeks out now better than most monkish I've tasted

Mista_Carta, OTB and jamshard2mash like this.
  27. putonyourwalkingshoes

Trader

Yeah this is garbage give them 1 and the option to enter a lottery for a second. They already got monster tones not to mention ability to load up on more of the releases like bovine and espresso macaroon I would have loved to get more of

croush, Yabu, tokimedo and 3 others like this.
  28. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Savant (943) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Dunno if that was me, but I trade all my BL spares for OH IPAs and stouts (amongst other goodies). Straight $ for $, no secondary values. Basically the only trading I do. Zero fux given to anyone who is butthurt by this.

29. mlobster

mlobster Initiate (61) Dec 30, 2012 California
    Trader

I trade all my BL for lambic, ZFG.

30. jamshard2mash

Trader

Yea I trade all my BL for other stuff outside my region as well. BL has not been relevant in my cellar since paisley cave.

putonyourwalkingshoes likes this.
  31. putonyourwalkingshoes

Trader

Nothing they've done has wowed me since FOb3. They are churning out way too much now and quality is definitely coming down now

dranthony2012 and jamshard2mash like this.
  32. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Defender (682) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Trader

When I joined the league I took into consideration what the bottle sale beers would be and joined based on the initial list that was provided at time renewals went out. As these Ultra bottles were not on the list I can not be bummed that I have a slim chance of getting an opportunity to purchase nor can I be bitter that the Theory members get an allotment as I have no idea what their membership perks are. So I am excited for the idea of a lottery and if I win great if not than so be it. I thank Jacob for actually giving us members a chance at what sounds like an awesome beer.

What does bother me and has bothered me for the last few months is this perk from the original email Priority access to all bottle/can sales ahead of the public. I took this to mean that the bottles listed would be available to every club member for an opportunity to purchase during the pre-sale. I did not take it to mean that limits would be so low that you would need to log on the minute the sale went live and still have your fingers crossed that you would be lucky enough to make a purchase. From what I can only assume is that on the low number counts the Theory members get first crack and by the time league has a shot the inventory is almost gone. This to me does not seem like the definition of priority access. I would love to see next year's membership address this by either cutting back membership or ensuring that production can meet the minimal demand of one bottle per member. Heck I would even be happy to see someone from Modern Times acknowledge the low bottle counts available for sale and acknowledge club demand far exceeds supply. I realize this is an unpopular opinion and most likely it will be seen as complaining but it's how I feel after be shut out of 3 beers I was hoping to obtain.

croush, Yabu, tokimedo and 1 other person like this.
  33. OTB

OTB Devotee (486) Sep 2, 2011 California

Did you by chance read Jacobs' email above ?

Cheers,

warrendietrich2001 likes this.
  34. OTB

Most everyone who's been on the Pacific forum for a while knows that I've been a long time consumer of Monkish beers, long before they brewed IPAs. As of today I have no problem saying that the recent releases starting with DDH MT5! through Unlike Birds, Tiger Millionaire etc. etc. are better than the beers I've had from Monkish during that same period of time. From straight out of the gate to enjoying them 3-4 weeks out, MT has taken their haze game to another level all together. Just my 2 cents. And I won't even start on the BA/Pastry game. Not a knock by any stretch at Monkish, I love most all of what Henry does, but all breweries go through ups and downs and I just haven't felt that the IPAs Ive had are what I'm used to across the board from color, body, and complexity of flavor profiles.

Cheers,

#1034 OTB, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  35. grilledsquid

Trader

I've had limited access to MT limited haze cans but I've had a couple. DDH Dino World was great fresh, but started tasting pretty malty after two weeks. MT5 was pretty incredible, though, and was still good after a month. Hopefully this month's releases maintain the trend.

OTB and warrendietrich2001 like this.
  36. OTB

The two rock stars from May's release, Unlike Birds This Is Real, and Tiger Millionaire are both drinking beautifully at 3+ weeks out. Highly recommend finding a can of both if you can.

Cheers,

Mista_Carta and grilledsquid like this.
  37. skelliott

skelliott Initiate (76) Jul 2, 2013 California

As a league member you do have priority access to all bottle/can sales ahead of the public. That's not the same thing as having a guaranteed set of bottles available for you to purchase. Just because you took it to mean something different doesn't mean Modern Times isn't providing a promised perk.

By limiting some bottle sales to 1 per person they are acknowledging that demand exceeds the supply. They have a good idea of what beers are in demand and they do their part to make sure that as many league members as possible can get their hands on a bottle.

They've also stated that the barrels that these beers have been aging in were sourced well before they knew how big the league would be, so there's simply not enough of a given beer to offer one bottle per league member. Particularly so in the case of the single-barrel beers, which they've said are something that they enjoy doing despite knowing that not every member will get a bottle. I'm not sure what you would have them do with this beer if not give their best customers a chance to buy it.

Majikow, bungletrpg and chemman14 like this.
  38. grilledsquid

Trader

I wanted to order them for May allocations but my budget's been super tight. Didn't want to spend extra on shipping them out to me (i'm not local to socal anymore). I regret it based on all the great reviews.

39. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Defender (682) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Trader

The email that is sent to entice you to purchase a club membership does not mention that these are single barrel beers or that they enjoy making them which I do not doubt and totally understand and agree with. However this has been stated after memberships have been sold not before the trigger to purchase has been made. But no where is this stated. Instead you get this
    2019 ONLINE SALE BEERS (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)
    • 11th Hour Aged in Cognac & Maple Syrup Bourbon Barrels (Dessert Strong Ale Collab w/ Horus Aged Ales & The Full Pint)
    • Altar of the Orc Lord Aged in Bourbon Barrels + Variants
    • Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout Collab w/ Cellarmaker Brewing Company
    • Suggestion of Mass Aged in Bourbon Barrels (Collab w/ J Wakefield Brewing)
    • Apple Brandy Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout Collab w/ Moksa Brewing Company
    • Imperial Stout Aged in Bourbon Barrels: Spumoni Edition
    • Beastmaster Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Walnuts, Maple Syrup, & Cocoa
    • Modem Tones Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Pecans, Bananas, & Vanilla
    • Modem Tones Aged in Bourbon Barrels (single-origin coffee treatments)
    • Beastmaster Aged in Spanish Brandy Barrels w/ Figs & Cocoa
    • Fellowship of Xul
    • Devil's Teeth Aged in Bourbon Barrels
    • Devil's Teeth Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ NOLA Coffee & Almonds
    • Devil's Teeth Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ NOLA Coffee & Almonds: Ultra-Coconut Edition
    • Devil's Teeth Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Pistachio & Coconut
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Bourbon Barrels
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Bourbon Barrels: Ultra-Chocolate Edition
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Bourbon Barrels: Turkish Coffee Edition
    • Monsters' Park Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Vanilla
    • Monsters’ Park Aged in Jamaican & Barbados Rum Barrels
    • Modem Tones Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Vanilla, Hazelnut, & Maple Syrup
    • Barrel-Aged Cuvée of Monsters’ Park, Devil’s Teeth, & Infinity Gauntlet
    • Imperial Stout Aged in Port Wine Barrels
    • Imperial Stout Aged in Rum Barrels: Spicy Boy Edition (Mexican Hot Chocolate Treatment w/ Extra Peppers)
    • Dragon Mask Aged in Bourbon Barrels: Café de Olla Edition
    • Analog
    • Analog: Orange Wine Edition
    • Bière De Coupage
    • Shadow Mountain (Red Wine Barrel-Aged Saison w/ Boysenberries)
    • The Fruitening: Black Raspberry Edition
    • The Fruitening: Boysenberry Edition
    • The Fruitening: Black Currant & Vanilla Edition
    • The Fruitening: Grapefruit & Rose Hip Edition
    • The Fruitening: Pomegranate & Pear Edition
    • The Fruitening: Yumberry & Boysenberry Edition
    • Glimmer Void (Red Wine Barrel-Aged Sour w/ Strawberries)
    • Modern Eden Aged in Red Wine Barrels
    • New Atlantis
    • New Atlantis: Chardonnay Edition
    • News from Nowhere
    • Palace of Cracked Heads
    • Palace of Paper Sacks
    • Pescespada (Collab w/ Almanac Beer Company)
    • The Prometheus Effect
    • Rampart Junction
    • Thermometer Island
    • Barrel-Aged Sour Ale w/ Plums
    • Valley of Sound
    • Wizard & Graf: Chapter 3
    • Single-Varietal Cider
    • Wild-Harvest Cider
    • Heirloom-Blend Cider
    • Transit of Venus
    • Rebrews of Fan-Favorite Can Releases (Abaddon, Clear & Present Dankness, Countermagic, Dinosaur World, Effective Dreams, Hedge Witch, Underworld Dreams, Order of Hermes, Star Metal, Stencil Crew, & more)
    followed by this
    • Priority access to all bottle/can sales ahead of the public
    My point is that its typically the stouts with the low bottle counts are being sold out in minutes The priority access is not per se given to Leisure members if there is a pre-sale for Theory members who can for the most part buy out or put a large dent in the available bottles before hitting our "priority access". No where in the original in the league membership email does it mention that there is an expectation of beer demand exceeding production or that the expectation is that many beers will be bottled at a number less than actual membership.

I am actually a fan of this lottery for the Ultra bottles as this is not a promised or an applied perk as a bonus I think this is awesome that MT is doing this. I would love to see more of this in the future as well.

40. wolf13

wolf13 Initiate (149) Dec 11, 2014 California
    Trader

From the pics it looks like it’s more or less just their usual cardboard box that holds 3-4 bottles with a cut out space in the front so you can see the bottles.

riko likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.