Modern Times League of Partygoers and Elegant People (2019)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by johnInLA, Jan 1, 2019.

1. IcyTrout

IcyTrout Initiate (132) Feb 1, 2018 California

people delete emails?

2. annakarina

annakarina Initiate (120) Jul 29, 2016 California

Most of their past hazy releases have been around $19-21.50 I believe. $26 is definitely higher than I recall any of their IPAs being before. I can't remember what past TIPAs were specifically though.

3. Ponzu4u

Ponzu4u Aspirant (227) Jun 19, 2015 California
    Society

OCD sucks...

IcyTrout likes this.
  4. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (129) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

They've only canned one TIPA before this and it was $21.50.

5. webz

webz Initiate (20) Apr 4, 2018 California

Cognac Modem Tones just went up to two bottles per person

6. Izzy_Izumi

Izzy_Izumi Initiate (104) Aug 3, 2017 California
    Trader

Hahaha, love that there was two left of Macaroon. And then subsequently people asking what's up.

bungletrpg likes this.
  7. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (40) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

but but but it was 9:58 lol

8. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (238) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

how did you know?

I figured Theory members bought out the remaining .

9. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

Apparently there was like two that dropped back down, then people were kind of fighting over it. That's what I gleaned from the facebook page anyway.

10. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (639) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

2 left, ppl fighting over them, steven just set the quantity available to 0 to end the madness.

Theory was given the chance to purchase 1 more. Really shocked we even got a chance at that since I would have thought there was next to no additional stock left.

Izzy_Izumi likes this.
  11. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (238) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

ah. Since it wasn't on the email, don't think any could buy them . Or if they did, i'd expect the order would be cancelled.

12. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

I absolutely love how fast Steven and Leanne reply. Great up front comms. And the answers are great.

ATA1K, R1c0rtez, MonkeyBread and 3 others like this.
  13. dcbullet

dcbullet Initiate (125) Dec 18, 2013 California

I feel like I understand how the ecommerce site works, but I'm not sure I understand the behavior of my fellow elegant members. I've gotten the "product reserved" notice for the last half hour on the cognac. Are these from people who keep putting it their cart but then don't buy? And then it gets snatched up again? WTF would you do that? Or do I not understand how it works?

14. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (639) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

What you stated is exactly how it works. The only thing I haven't ever tested is if there is 1 bottle left and 2 ppl go after it the same time, what would happen? I should try to do that just to see.

15. dcbullet

It's not elegant to put bottles in one's cart and then not buy it. Over and over again. Stop wasting member's time!

wolf13 likes this.
  16. da_beer_badboy

da_beer_badboy Initiate (56) Feb 9, 2017 California

Maybe they aren’t interested but are asking friends if they’d like to buy the bottle. Holding it in the meantime until they get an answer.

SDReaper likes this.
  17. dcbullet

Well that's annoying.

wolf13 likes this.
  18. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Disciple (363) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

What? There was never an email saying limits went up on the macaroon. If it was limit 2pp I imagine anymore league purchases would just get rejected.

19. Xul

Xul Crusader (784) May 18, 2008 California

Correct, League didn't get a limit increase on it. There were only two bottles left as 10am was approaching, so, rather than let the entire League fight over those two remaining bottles - and deal with the complaints that would've almost certainly ensued - they were removed from inventory and it was marked as sold out. No one was fighting over those last two bottles as they weren't available for the League, people were just wondering why it didn't show as sold out until just before 10am.

20. OTB

OTB Devotee (435) Sep 2, 2011 California

I bought two crowlers of MT's new TIPA Protoplanet yesterday at Lomaland for $15ea. As Xui pointed out and I agree with him 100%, it's a " banging" value. If I was out for beers and saw Protoplanet on a menu for $7.50 for a 16oz. pour I wouldn't hesitate. For the amount of high quality ingredients used to produce the recipe and proven track record I have no reservations in filling up my cart tomorrow with Tiger Millionaire at $26 per 4pack.

Cheers,

#1100 OTB, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
  21. mlobster

mlobster Initiate (60) Dec 30, 2012 California
    Trader

Finally got around to trying MT5 at the dojo; all of your guys’ hype was well validated, thanks for the info!

ATA1K, ChazMania, Black_Rider and 3 others like this.
  22. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (246) Feb 28, 2015 California

archive is a godsend.

23. Bennettrox

Bennettrox Aspirant (261) Sep 14, 2010 California
    Trader

Easily my favorite MT IPA and easily top 3 IPA of the part year or so. Hoping we see more

Black_Rider and dranthony2012 like this.
  24. StonedRaider

StonedRaider Initiate (134) Oct 25, 2007 California
    Trader

Count me as one who would like to see this brewed again. I’d probably buy a whole case if given another opportunity.

OTB and Black_Rider like this.
  25. ModernTimesJacob

ModernTimesJacob Initiate (85) Apr 24, 2012 California
    Industry

We should be able to close this week. The round was over-reserved, so rather than electing to turn a bunch of people away, we created what's called a Regulation D round, which allows us to move all of the accredited investors into a separate pool. That opens up more room for unaccredited investors in the CF round. We'll still have to turn some people away, but this will reduce the number significantly. It just took some time to create the round, and now we're working on moving the accredited folks over.

Cheers & thanks,
    Jacob McKean
    Modern Times Beer

MonkeyBread, stevepat and dcbullet like this.
  26. ModernTimesJacob

ModernTimesJacob Initiate (85) Apr 24, 2012 California
    Industry

Edit: We just got off a call with Wefunder, and it looks like it's going to take longer to transition the accredited folks over. An email with all the details will go out tomorrow. Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers & thanks,
    Jacob McKean
    Modern Times Beer

anvindr likes this.
  27. OTB

OTB Devotee (435) Sep 2, 2011 California

[​IMG]

From the can this transitions to that next level DIPA. Super aromatic bright citrus and that tell tale dank winey Nelson. Layers of complex flavors from sweet tangerines to stone fruits and that white wine Nelson kiss mid-palate. Dayum MT, it seems each month we get another world class banger, and I thought we couldn't get anything better than the amazing DDHMT5!, guess I was wrong, but don't rest on your laurels gang, brew that DDH MT 5! for us again soon.

Cheers,

#1107 OTB, May 16, 2019 at 1:15 AM
    Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 1:27 AM
  28. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (621) Mar 10, 2013 California

Just had my first sip and came here to say something similar. I love OH and MT has been putting out some amazing hazies recently. Glad I got two 4pks, wish I'd gotten three!

bwelch21 likes this.
  29. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

Without Birds was excellent in crowler form. Didn't splurge on it this month, but I certainly enjoyed it while the Dojo had it togo.

jwacky likes this.
  30. jwacky

jwacky Initiate (66) Apr 13, 2017 California

Yeah, I had some of this and Tiger Millionaire yesterday before picking up my May purchases. Totally blown away.

31. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (537) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

Tiger Millionaire is incredible. I agree. Nice to see MT doing a non hazy as well. Reminded me of how good El Segundo is. I was over there this past weekend for a few pours and they are still putting out amazing IPAs

32. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Disciple (363) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

Anyone have any insight if we will see a keg of the expresso macaroon monsters park at lomaland or encinitas? Typically we see a keg of the bottled/canned stuff on or around the release date... just dont know if this was so limited and all of it went into bottles or the kegs that do exist are earmarked for festivals.

33. MonkeyBread

MonkeyBread Zealot (594) Apr 26, 2014 Nevada

As an out of towner if I’m planning a trip to hit Lomaland or Far West Lounge and want to time it for public sale cans being available and as fresh as possible is the consistency that this happens monthly around the middle of each month (15th-ish) ? Or does it vary a lot.

Also had Unlike Birds This Is Real on draft a month or two ago. Absolutely impeccable. Such a unique hazy. Wish I was able to get down there to pick up some cans of it.

34. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (129) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

Pickups seem to usually start in the range of the 10th to the 17th, always on a Weds.

MonkeyBread likes this.
  35. annakarina

Not that I’m complaining but how in the world are DDH MT5 4-packs still available?

Or are they making more batches since the one that was canned a few months ago?

MonkeyBread likes this.
  36. MonkeyBread

MonkeyBread Zealot (594) Apr 26, 2014 Nevada

Not sure. Separate but somewhat related topic: has there ever been an IPA that sold out before public sale? It feels like only the stouts (and maybe sours) run risk of not making to public. Frankly while I enjoy a nice barrel aged adjunct loaded stout or barley wine, my focus is on the hops.

Random question, I don’t think Modern Times has dabbled in the Belgian style space much. I don’t recall a dubbed, tripel, quad or anything like that. I’ve had a couple nice barrel aged quads lately from various breweries. M Makes me wonder about if quads / Belgian strong dark ales might be interesting with adjuncts. Given modern times hasn’t done this wonder if that means it doesn’t work well or dabbling in the Belgian space just isn’t their thing. If there’s anyone I’d trust to do it properly it would be them.

Btw how about that MT podcast. Good stuff, very entertaining.

37. JayhawkJeep

JayhawkJeep Initiate (27) Feb 7, 2015 California
    Trader

Not new. They are just releasing what was failed to be pick uped within the window.

Xul likes this.
  38. annakarina

They apparently sold out before I posted that so I missed the window by at least an hour, so I feel like a goddamn idiot regardless!

39. darkmoon66

darkmoon66 Initiate (195) Oct 8, 2011 California
    Trader

I can't think of any IPA in the past year or so that sold out in the online sale. I remember stuff like DDH Dino World selling out a couple days after the pickup, but it seems like a safe bet at this point that you should be able to walk in and pick up any IPA released in the past week or 2.

MonkeyBread likes this.
  40. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (815) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society

Picked the coaster set tonight, amongst other things. Always liked MT's can artwork. These coasters are pretty nice.

Rick760Sd likes this.