Modern Times League of Partygoers and Elegant People (2020)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Yabu, Jan 1, 2020.

1. croush

croush Crusader (775) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

It’s crazy that 1000 people missed out. Seems like it would be “elegant” of those 500 or so that did get it to offer a couple cans up to league members instead of trying to win the trade game.

MrLebowski likes this.
  2. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Zealot (551) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Not everyone bought in large enough quantities to become beer philanthropists, though. I only bought a sixer which will be split with the dude who I share my membership with.

3. adschal1

adschal1 Initiate (36) Dec 7, 2018 Ohio
    Trader

1000 people missed out? Good grief. How many members are there?

I was holding out hope to join next year, but now I'm wondering how much larger this can grow.

m34josh likes this.
  4. croush

croush Crusader (775) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

The average purchase was 8, though, which is pretty crazy. Seems like there’s plenty to go around. Hopefully there’s a good amount of locals helping each other out if people didn’t get any. If people are offering up 15 cans of MPV for Bovine Outline or some other big bottle, it just seems like a kick in the butt to those that missed out.

grilledsquid likes this.
  5. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (668) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Whoa..damn. I bought well below the average then.

6. Chris818c

Chris818c Initiate (51) Mar 16, 2016 California

I wasn’t able to buy any MPV cans (my fault for waiting so long I suppose since I never imagined it would sell out so quick) and I didn’t get the second chance e-mail. Awesome!

johnInLA likes this.
  7. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (150) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

I can't remember for sure, but isn't the league count now in the 1600-2000 range? Assuming 1600 league, the average is less than 6.
    Could be wrong, though. Maybe it is 1400.

8. Rick760Sd

Rick760Sd Initiate (162) Jun 5, 2012 California
    Trader

Yea, me too. I purchased two cans of MPV.

9. Xul

Xul Champion (815) May 18, 2008 California

~1600 League/~145 Theory

croush and ModernTimesLeanne like this.
  10. ModernTimesLeanne

ModernTimesLeanne Initiate (41) Apr 20, 2018 California

It's also worth noting that we've talked to our Special Projects team and we'll be releasing MPV again this year.
    Were the limits too high? Yeah, a fault on our part. But we never expected people to buy that much, the limits on these 12oz cans have never come close to even being an issue in the past, and our limits are largely based on anecdotal experiences of past sales. Sorry, we'll do better moving forward.
    Also, we had a talk with our website developers about solutions to the website struggling. This is not an issue that we can fix over night, but we're looking into ways of minimizing the strain on the website.

But back off the Timbo plz, because I'm making the drive today to get some and pick up my bottles.

kbenson, johnInLA, EB1 and 13 others like this.
  11. KidGalaga

KidGalaga Initiate (76) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

So they will graciously offer 1 can to 618 of the 1000 paying members who got shut out.

The standard of customer service in the beer industry is even worse than I thought if this is considered NEXT LEVEL!!!!

The fact that they do what they can to make up for their mistakes is commendable, but at some point, the underlying issues should be addressed instead of having to make up for them.

Website fixes are a slog and will take a lot of time, so at least people know it’s not a short term fix. Can’t fault them at this point for those.

12. annakarina

annakarina Initiate (173) Jul 29, 2016 California

Dude, they’re making a new batch specifically for people who missed out, what exactly do you want?

kbenson, m34josh, JRGVII and 9 others like this.
  13. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (114) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

well this should get me through the next 4 hours

kbenson, fegelFatso and Brent212 like this.
  14. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (869) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

In a departure from my normal snark here's some suggestions that MT can feel free to consider or dismiss as some rando on the internet generally should be. I previously supported an e-commerce app that had to maintain 99.9% availability and was under siege most days, and certain kinds of world events could cause demand to go through the roof, making it very 'exciting' to be me at 2am when my pager went off.

I don't have insights into the backend stack but I have yet to see something that implies this is a horsepower issue. The raw number of requests doesn't seem to be overwhelming the system as much as it is many concurrent requests for the same thing and being able to successfully queue and fulfill when they are all occurring milliseconds apart is quite an ask without a backend and frontend designed with that in mind. If there's a technical fix, go for it, but I don't know if it's in MT's budget to do what eventbrite and BPT can't do with much larger IT spend.

No system is perfect, someone will always be unhappy. All you can do is improve it as best you can. There's a reason why the biggest sites in the world aspire to 99.9% and not 100%, because that extra fraction of a percent is impossible.

Non-technical suggestions:
    1) Sub-divide into something like 4 sales where members are assigned to the 4 groups with an even distribution of big buyers and small buyers, reshuffling each sale. Give each group their window (8am-9am, 9:30am-10:30am, etc) and their quarter of the total stock. This will still get some gripes, but it may reduce the confounding factor of the sheer number of concurrent requests, and to some it may be preferable to my other suggestion. The downside of this is it would require a lot of work upfront to plan the rules of engagement and communicate them clearly. Once it's done once it can be mostly automated. I'm assuming the platform isn't such a blackbox that this is out of the question, if it is then I question what the developers are doing.

2) Two stage sale for the league whenever there is anything where there's less available than there will be members. 9:00-9:30am for extremely limited, with remaining stock going into the 10:00am pool. Set limits on other stuff in a way that makes it unlikely people who want it end up with none, knowing and accepting that limits will not always be perfect and people can drown their sorrows in whatever other awesome beer they did get that month. This would separate the heavy F5'ers from the moderate ones and maybe lead to better overall outcomes in a system that will never be perfect.

3) Lottery. I mean, ya. Everyone's favorite.

15. D09daryl

D09daryl Initiate (107) Mar 11, 2017 California
    Trader

If 1000/1550 didn't get bottles, then a decent amount of people must have maxed out or bought a lot. Personally, it's a beer that I enjoy to drink over the course of the year, and maybe throw a can to good trade partners as an extra. I'd have gotten 4-6 cans. I'd never have thought people would be maxing out and trying to trade bulk quantity of MPV, nor did I think there was such a demand for it in trades. At least there wasn't last year. MT couldn't have known that this would happen, but kinda makes me wonder what kind of members are doing this?

croush and fegelFatso like this.
  16. NicIsAwesome

NicIsAwesome Initiate (72) Jun 30, 2014 California
    Trader

Adding to that
    4) Presale wishlists to determine limits
    Use the wishlist to gauge demand and set initial limits accordingly. One downside is it requires heavy member participation and extra planning time to execute accurately

17. mhucker28

mhucker28 Initiate (22) Apr 24, 2020
    Trader

Seems like you have made no attempt to actually read their responses or understand anything that has already been discussed in this thread.

fegelFatso likes this.
  18. Brent212

Trader

1000/1750

19. D09daryl

D09daryl Initiate (107) Mar 11, 2017 California
    Trader

Yea, I thought it was 1400, my bad. But they've said before there are a couple hundred that don't participate in the monthly sales and are just here for the included bottles and merch.

20. Brent212

Trader

those could have been in the 1000, since it sounds like about half of the 618 selected didn't buy the can.

21. dangsdunks

dangsdunks Initiate (44) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

Here is what I would like to happen. Separate the rare stuff and all the IPAs, Sours, Pilsners, and basically any stout over 3000 be released at 12. These basically won't sell out so why bog down the website while people are trying to buy ET Doomhawk or anything under 1000 bottles.

22. 562Brew

562Brew Initiate (85) Mar 5, 2018 California
    Trader

Unfortunately there’s no way for members to know who actually missed out on the sale. Some have already offered though before Steven announced the additional cans being available.

23. mcbartko

mcbartko Initiate (43) Jun 14, 2014 Ohio

I am one of those members who maxed.

1) It is one of our favorite beers. We’ve been waiting since last year for this sale to come around and have been slowly working through our 2019 stash to make it KAST. We drank our last one this week.

2) I didn’t max to razzle or use for trade. I do participate in some BIFs and C+S sites and may have included a can here or there, but I’d not use this beer (or any MT beer) to profit.

3) We don’t live in CA so during non-pandemic times, we’d not be able to take advantage of any draft pours of this like a lot of locals can. Also, we bought cans for two months after the sale last year and thought we’d just save ourselves the trouble by getting them all up front.

4) As soon as I heard it was sold out, I offered up cans to several friend who were shut out. Then, I offered up more to other League members for being elegant about the issue. I’m now down to a little more than half of what I purchased.

5) I get that people are upset and I empathize. I also get that there are shitlords out there that maxed this for other purposes, but I honestly maxed my allotment because we love this beer and we drink this beer. I didn’t max to screw anyone else out of it.

kbenson, JRGVII, kst8td and 21 others like this.
  24. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (167) Jun 23, 2013 California

I don’t know if I feel like it’s fair to blame those who did max... they played the game by the rules... the rules were just flawed in this instance. Lesson learned.

25. tyrsis

tyrsis Aspirant (228) Mar 13, 2009 California
    Trader

You don't have to rationalize your purchases to people. You don't owe anyone shit.

26. dangsdunks

dangsdunks Initiate (44) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

The past 10 MP sales had the same limits but never sold out. It wasn't Theory it was definitely newer members and the increased trade value MT has.

Readmorevols and BeerBaron666 like this.
  27. Antwan83

Antwan83 Initiate (10) Feb 24, 2020

I agree with this... and possibly a wishlist and lottery as well for the smaller batch allocations which will eliminate the F5 complaints.

28. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (272) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Maybe it's too late, but the best way to get modern Times attention is to send an email to them and explain how you feel. (if that was already brought out recently and ignored, I apologize). But if members elegantly express themselves in that manner, modern Times will listen to their members.

For those that are still angry and wants to be upset indefinitely, please be sure not to renew next year. However, you might miss out (again? ) on MPV in a few months.

Best wishes to a positive discussion tomorrow.

Anyone try the Mai Tai Fruitlands? Excited for it.

29. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (130) Dec 6, 2014 California

At the risk of sounding inelegant, just wanted to drop a comment on Themisto, which I found moderately fresh at TD Joe's for a solid price and decided to try.

Lord knows I've been critical of shelf MT haze, but this one was surprisingly good. It was on the sweet, tropical deep end of the spectrum: pineapple bomb. But it is a super tasty and decadent beer, even if it is not my generally prefered profile for an IPA (I like green, dank, and bright rather than tropical, sweet).

So while the rest of ye butcher each other over the limited supply of gold, we plebeians enjoy the abundance of silver in the mines.

30. 562Brew

Trader

I added some to my last Anaheim pickup a couple weeks ago. Had a 4/30 can date which I was pleased with. Agree with the pineapple bomb description. Really enjoyed it, especially at that price point. I also like having the lower abv IPAs handy.

31. annakarina

As I’ve mentioned before, it’s hard for me to arrange for pick up right now since I don’t have a car.

After ordering beers from the previous two sales, I decided to finally make the trek out and scheduled an appointment for pick up today... and they don’t have my Mostra Tones bottles in stock.

I realize it’s beyond their control but I am more than a little annoyed right now. Especially considering I made the appointment two weeks ago.

Having to spend another $20 on Lyft rides doesn’t exactly make me happy either.

m34josh, tokimedo and Dansac like this.
  32. Brent212

Trader

Damn, that does really suck. Sorry to hear that.

annakarina likes this.
  33. Dansac

What is the point of having to make an appointment for pickup if you can't order in advance?

annakarina likes this.
  34. annakarina

Also, since we schedule a pickup in advance, how am I going to know whether or not they even have Mostra Tones next time?

Dka67 likes this.
  35. Brent212

Trader

36. Dimidiata

Dimidiata Initiate (63) Jul 14, 2017 California
    Trader

Email and explain your issue, and I'm sure the MT staff will assist. I picked up an order at the Dojo last year (a 7 hour drive one way for me) and one of my merch items was out of stock, and they mailed it to me. Maybe they'll do the same for beer since they are shipping now, or maybe you'll get a refund. What did the staff at the location tell you to do?

Brent212 likes this.
  37. Xul

Xul Champion (815) May 18, 2008 California

Drop an email to league@moderntimesbeer.com explaining what happened. I know they said before that they're not equipped to deliver cans/bottles purchased during online sales, but they might be able to assist with ensuring it's there the next time you visit or figuring out some way to get it to you. That is incredibly frustrating, though.

The reservation system is predominately being used to control the flow of people to ensure safe social distancing, but they've also been using it to understand the pace at which beer is being picked up and optimize their logistics. Hopefully, they can assist in getting you the bottle, but at the very least, letting them know it happened will help them better coordinate with both the logistics/distribution and tasting room teams to avoid these problems going forward.

fegelFatso likes this.
  38. Dansac

I've just been browsing this for the last hour or so and, again, feel like we're all wasting our time in the wrong places haha...

https://www.lambic.info/Brasserie_Cantillon

39. 562Brew

Trader

I had a similar problem a couple weeks ago. Went to finally pick up my March order and merch (Stein, rocks and shirt) and my League shirt was not available. I asked if there was a way I could call ahead to confirm next time before making the trip but they said they’d suggest emailing the league email.

40. annakarina

I’m not in the league. I think the person who was working thought I was because he said I have a couple months left to pick up the Mostra Tones but I checked and the last day I can pick up my bottles is 6/12 so I only have a couple weeks before I lose them.

He said it might be about a week for restock so that’s a pretty narrow window.

#1040 annakarina, May 24, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 6:30 PM