Modern Times League of Partygoers and Elegant People (2020)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Yabu, Jan 1, 2020.

1. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (331) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Question for the locals. I had a few BA Monsters Park at the brewery several years back. They were good but nothing earth shattering. I'm seeing the new Modern Times stouts are rated super highly. What's the deal here? They got that much better at making stouts recently? New head brewer?

2. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Initiate (147) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

Yes, they are that much better.

3. AndresR

AndresR Aspirant (224) Jul 19, 2009 California
    Trader

I remember buying the first batch of BA Monster's Park bottles. 2 out of the 3 were bad/infected. I got my money back. But when the following batch was released and they raised the price like $5 a bottle, I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger after seeing what happned last time. I have yet to buy a MT stout.

But, I'm glad they bounced back and are now....a thing.

#1443 AndresR, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    ChicagoJ and JFresh21 like this.
  4. osseo222000

osseo222000 Initiate (173) Jan 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

They seemed to really turn a corner in late 2017/early 2018. The first batch of modem tones vanilla (or any modem tones for that matter) was Jan 2018, and monster tones followed a few months later I believe. For me at least, they went from consistently making good beer to one of the best breweries in the US in 2018

ChicagoJ, JFresh21 and Dka67 like this.
  5. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (287) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

I guess news doesn't travel to your state? lol.

I suggest trading for some of their BA stouts, and decide for yourself if they are earth shattering, or just good.

Then you'll know if you want to join the league next year.

6. Ponzu4u

Ponzu4u Initiate (62) Jun 19, 2015 California
    Trader

I, for one, have honestly had my mind blown by the quality of their stout game since joining the club this year. Hadn't really thought too much about it in previous years but the high opinions of many on this site made me decide to take the plunge and I am sooo thankful they did. I will renew for as long as I'm able.

7. mhucker28

mhucker28 Initiate (58) Apr 24, 2020 California
    Trader

Granted I don't get the chance to try a lot of other highly rated stouts from other breweries, but I think MT's stouts are among the best out there that I've personally tried. I did get a chance to go to Carnival of Caffeination this year, and I thought the stuff MT had was by far the most impressive as a whole. The only other stout that rivaled theirs in my opinion was North Park's Mostra Before Dying.

Their IPA's seem to be a bit more polarizing, but the stouts are pretty overwhelmingly praised and rightfully so. I'm actually trying to decide which one I want to open tonight after work.

8. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (680) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

MT's stouts are super high quality and often very, very delicious, no doubt, but does anyone else wish they came in 500ml bottles instead of bombers? They are just so decadent that 22oz can seem like a lot.

I find myself reaching past the MT bombers for BL stouts more and more lately. Smaller format and not quite *so* pastry.

ChicagoJ, kst8td, drewone and 5 others like this.
  9. adschal1

adschal1 Initiate (44) Dec 7, 2018 Ohio
    Trader

You are not alone

ChicagoJ and drewone like this.
  10. mhucker28

Trader

Just get one of those beer saver things. I drink mine over the course 3-4 days usually.

11. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (680) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

No

12. mhucker28

Trader

Lol...ok. Excuse me for trying to help

13. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (331) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

What bottles do you recommend trading for? There's a trade open for Medicare for All that is tempting.

14. NicIsAwesome

NicIsAwesome Initiate (80) Jun 30, 2014 California
    Trader

I dont trade so im clueless on secondary but Medicare was a limit 1 bottle for league and it sold out before all members could get it whereas Mostra Tones was limit 8. Both, i feel are top tier representations of MTs stouts but im guessing Mostra Tones is easier to get than Medicare.

15. Yabu

Trader

sent you a pm.

JFresh21 likes this.
  16. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (687) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Oh man, I was about to say to just send me a 4pk of VSOJ and I will pick a few MT stouts that I feel are a good representation.

adschal1, grilledsquid and bungletrpg like this.
  17. Yabu

Trader

I'm not trading with him, already have a trading partner in his area. I just wanted to give him some ideas. Feel free to pm him for trades. :slight_smile:

SDReaper likes this.
  18. D09daryl

D09daryl Initiate (116) Mar 11, 2017 California
    Trader

I do the same thing, but don't worry - his username checks out...

Brent212 and mhucker28 like this.
  19. uuudar

uuudar Initiate (140) Oct 19, 2013 New York
    Trader

Does DTLA spot have a 5 minute pick up parking spot out front or anything?

20. BeerBaron666

BeerBaron666 Aspirant (230) May 13, 2009 California
    Trader

The red zone is if you're brave

Frosty11161 likes this.
  21. mhucker28

Trader

Honestly, I always just park in the lot next door and just don't pay for parking. Since I'm in and out so quick, I've never been hassled.

22. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (157) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

lol. in the words of dave chappelle, "you're booing yourself".

23. Redondo_Terp

Redondo_Terp Initiate (24) Jan 19, 2018 California

Opened Coffee Cake tonight. Cinnamon is there, and then there is some more cinnamon. Limited barrel presence. While the overall profile isn’t bad, you would never guess this is supposed to mimic the flavor of coffee cake.

m34josh likes this.
  24. BeerBaron666

BeerBaron666 Aspirant (230) May 13, 2009 California
    Trader

That's funny I thought it was spot on coffee cake

Run4theRoses, riko and nmoe like this.
  25. da_beer_badboy

da_beer_badboy Initiate (63) Feb 9, 2017 California

So... out of curiosity... Is Mostra Tones supposed to taste sour at all?

26. da_beer_badboy

Ugh should have stored refrigerated. Tastes like maybe some brett developed in there from the almonds. :slight_frown:

27. Xul

Xul Champion (819) May 18, 2008 California

No.

They've used almonds in a variety of different beers without any issues, so that wouldn't be my first guess. Possible it's just a bad bottle. Email league@moderntimesbeer.com about it and they'll take care of you.

da_beer_badboy likes this.
  28. Rick760Sd

Rick760Sd Initiate (163) Jun 5, 2012 California
    Trader

I opened one up last night and it tasted great. Stored it the majority of time in room temp, so I’m guessing bad bottle.

da_beer_badboy likes this.
  29. pro100

pro100 Initiate (107) Oct 12, 2014 California

Got my MT6 cans yesterday.. a tad sweet of course but its definitely seller. They restored the feeling once again with this one. Good stuff

ChicagoJ likes this.
  30. mhucker28

Trader

Yeah, I just popped open my first one last night and I'm definitely getting that sweetness everyone is talking about. It's not bad by any means, just not what I was expecting.

31. da_beer_badboy

Thanks. I'm not going to bother MT about it when they're struggling with COVID-19 stuff. I'd just be curious to see if anyone else here experiences the same with their bottles. I've seen a few comments on untappd that suggest I might not be alone. :beers:

Rick760Sd likes this.
  32. ModernTimesLeanne

ModernTimesLeanne Initiate (38) Apr 20, 2018 California

I promise you can email us and it'll be cool. League team is not affected by COVID and still actively working. In fact, there are 4 of us now! It sounds like maybe the bottle or cap wasn't rinsed properly or something, because this is the first I've heard of this happening.

33. kbenson

kbenson Initiate (126) Aug 15, 2012 Texas

For an out-of-town member like me, 500 ml bottles are a killer from a shipping cost perspective and I don't love them. Cans are OK though, because those can be shipped reasonably cost-effectively (maybe even more cost-effectively).

I find drinking big stouts over 2-3 days to work out just fine with very little loss in flavor profile and even carbonation (which is usually pretty limited to begin with). I wouldn't knock it so hard. I agree that doesn't work for IPAs (obviously) or even really sours (which tend to oxidize and sour even more for me once opened).

34. dcbullet

dcbullet Initiate (137) Dec 18, 2013 California

Sometimes I'll even fall asleep (because this occurs past 9PM I don't consider it passing out)
    on the couch with a glass of BBA stout sitting on the coffee table, I'll put it back in the fridge in the morning and drink it later that night. Still tastes and feels good, man.

35. jwacky

jwacky Initiate (83) Apr 13, 2017 California

I like the way you think.

FrogOut69 and dcbullet like this.
  36. webz

webz Initiate (34) Apr 4, 2018 California

Think I know the answer but just making sure for league, do we get to buy two more bottles of chaos grid or just one more with our included bottle? Thanks

37. Yabu

Trader

you can purchase 2 more.

38. jwacky

jwacky Initiate (83) Apr 13, 2017 California

This. The limits are what you're allowed to purchase, and have nothing to do with however many bottles may already be included.

39. webz

webz Initiate (34) Apr 4, 2018 California

Cool thanks guys

40. MonkeyBread

MonkeyBread Defender (622) Apr 26, 2014 Nevada
    Trader

Thoughts on DDH MT6! And DDH Hedge Witch?

MT6! Has that overripe sweet melon character I’ve been noticing in a lot of MT IPAs lately (Extraordinary TIPA, DDH Dinosaur world, etc). In the TIPA it was way too much for me and kind of tasted like rotten melon. MT6! Is tasting pretty good. Not incredible but I’m glad to be drinking it. Hedge Witch is tasting quite good and similar to how I remember it. Feels a little bland and is missing something I can’t pinpoint yet but again happy to be drinking it.