Modern Times League of Partygoers and Elegant People (2022)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by D09daryl, Jan 4, 2022.

1. thetastywort

thetastywort Initiate (151) Jun 2, 2011 California
    Trader

Seems like this could be one area they could improve some cash flow and expand the crowler offers a LOT. Unless the aluminum can shortage is impacting them, then consider opening to growlers. I still have those glass ones we got from the League merch several years ago. Does anyone know why more breweries do not do growler fills? Maybe a comment from someone in the industry? Is it time, previous lack of popularity, wipes out inventory for on-site consumption?

2. PatKorn

PatKorn Aspirant (200) Aug 30, 2007 Oregon

I think most breweries do offer growler fills but most have crowler machines so people grab those and mobile canning has made it easier for breweries to can. Also its pain in the ass to fill them, half the time you spend more time cleaning it out than actually filling them. Cheers.

thetastywort and lucius10 like this.
  3. thetastywort

thetastywort Initiate (151) Jun 2, 2011 California
    Trader

Thanks for that feedback! My observation was that it slowed down the process. I've always wondered if there could have been some online ordering system for crowlers (can't do growlers unless you buy new container of course). Bottle Logic would just pre-fill the crowlers and sell what they had. Seemed fast and efficient. I think as someone who likes to occasionally enjoy something on tap over the weekend with friends, I would love to see more to-go options.

4. not2quick

not2quick Savant (966) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Just cracked a chaos grid: Joy Edition and it was infected AF. Anyone else have any issues? 10/06/21

5. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Crusader (708) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

I think I might still have 1-2 of those. Did you keep it stored cold the entire time or nah?

6. not2quick

Society Trader

It was just shipped to my brother so he'll have to ask his proxy

7. annakarina

annakarina Aspirant (221) Jul 29, 2016 California

I'll try and open one of my last cans tonight and see how it is.

8. bmmortale

bmmortale Aspirant (287) Apr 6, 2012 California

Had all 6 of my cans from that sale, the last one a couple of weeks ago, all great/no infection.

not2quick and lucius10 like this.
  9. annakarina

Not tasting anything off from my can.

I didn't keep it cold either.

lucius10 and Brent212 like this.
  10. not2quick

Society Trader

With this can there was no tasting off, it was fucked.

Maybe ol boy had it cellared in a window sill?

#210 not2quick, Apr 27, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  11. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,181) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

Oh damn that super sucks, that beer was amazing fresh

not2quick likes this.
  12. not2quick

Society Trader

I was super bummed. I've loved every Chaos Grid I've had.

KevSal likes this.
  13. Xul

Xul Champion (856) May 18, 2008 California
    Trader

I've seen scattered reports of infection - enough that it seems like more than a random can, but still fairly rare. Hard to guess whether it's an incredibly slow-moving batch-wide issue, a single head on the can filler, or something else. Having tried bottles of both Mostra Tones and Fellowship of Xul '20 at various points along the path to full-blown infection, the early signs can be easy to ignore if you're not already aware of an issue.

Either way, I'd definitely avoid holding on to cans of it for longer than necessary.

14. mhucker28

mhucker28 Initiate (81) Apr 24, 2020 California
    Trader

That sucks. I drank all my Joy Edition cans and had no issues with any of them.

15. BigC1981

BigC1981 Initiate (12) Mar 3, 2021 California
    Trader

Out of curiosity, what is the price on Monster Tones this year??

16. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (163) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

$40, same as the last few years (maybe same it's been since B1?)

17. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,997) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Had the pleasure of trying the latest MT Ultras last weekend...
    Coconut was amazing.
    vanilla was pretty good.
    coffee was pretty bad.

drink ‘em soon if you got ‘em.

18. not2quick

Society Trader

Just checking back in about Chaos Grid: Joy Edition. Just saw several untapped reviews speaking of infection. You think modern times would replace cans?

Brent212 likes this.
  19. JimN8916

JimN8916 Initiate (124) Jan 31, 2014 California
    Trader

They always have in the past if you email the league@moderntimesbeer.com

lucius10 and not2quick like this.
  20. AlmostDeadly777

AlmostDeadly777 Initiate (67) Apr 29, 2018 California
    Trader

FWIW, I had my last can on Sunday (largely due to the same reviews you've seen on UT and here) and no infection as far as I could tell. But I'd drink em soon if I were you.

21. wolf13

wolf13 Initiate (147) Dec 11, 2014 California
    Trader

lucius10 likes this.
  22. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Aspirant (222) Jun 23, 2013 California

23. BreakingMyBalls

BreakingMyBalls Initiate (125) Apr 27, 2017 California
    Trader

Just tried the new Monster Tones on tap. Coffee was overwhelming and it tasted and smelled like a bad hotel room cup of joe. Body was nice and barrel was good, but man, the adjuncts were just terrible. I had to get a second pour just to make sure maybe the first pour was just a fluke, and boy is this NOT the Monster Tones of the past.

#223 BreakingMyBalls, May 12, 2022
    Last edited: May 12, 2022
    lucius10 likes this.
  24. D09daryl

D09daryl Initiate (140) Mar 11, 2017 California
    Trader

I have a fear that looking forward, this will never be the modern times of past.

fegelFatso likes this.
  25. Comics-Beer

Comics-Beer Initiate (24) Oct 31, 2014 California

These beers would have been brew 1-2 years ago before the recent issues took place. So, will the problem moving forward be the blending process and/or adjucts?

kst8td likes this.
  26. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Devotee (452) May 19, 2011 California
    Trader

Did MT lose anyone from their brewing staff?

27. wilymobastardo

wilymobastardo Zealot (505) Jan 12, 2015 California
    Society Trader

Per Andrew Schwartz on FB: "Same dosing rate and ingredients. We used a slightly different roast profile which really made the coffee pop! We were surprised, it was one of the most potent coffee aromas we've had so far. It will change over time, and already has."

28. Brent212

Trader

I for one am psyched on the reports of stronger coffee, but am hoping I don't get the bad hotel coffee flavor as described above. Will be trying it tomorrow.

29. BreakingMyBalls

BreakingMyBalls Initiate (125) Apr 27, 2017 California
    Trader

Sounds like PR spin to me. Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion, but to me this batch was one of worst barrel aged stouts I’ve ever tried from MT.

lucius10 likes this.
  30. wolf13

Trader

Had Monster Tones today. Definitely coffee forward, but not bad at all. Mocha-ish tiramisu flavors, which I like quite a lot. Not as good as two years ago, but probably better than last year's IMHO and IIRC the flavors. I also had a Monsters Cabana, which I was pleasantly surprised about. Just don't drink the Cabana after the Tones as the coffee in the Tones really washes out your taste buds.

TonyLuvsBeer and Brent212 like this.
  31. BeerBaron666

BeerBaron666 Aspirant (235) May 13, 2009 California
    Trader

its definitely way more coffee forward but it was still pretty fantastic IMO.

TonyLuvsBeer and Yabu like this.
  32. Brent212

Trader

This was me two years ago with Cloud Cabana. Was completely expecting lime to be a terrible idea, but fucking LOVED that one and am hoping this is as good.

33. wolf13

Trader

I do not think you will be disappointed. The first sip really brought back memories of the very old days of Monster's Park, when they first started releasing it. Can't say why, but I thought, "Now this is the MP I've been missing."

Brent212 likes this.
  34. Xul

Xul Champion (856) May 18, 2008 California
    Trader

It won't. For better or worse, when you change enough constituent elements of an entity, it becomes a different entity. That's not to say whatever comes next will suck, but regardless of what happens with their impending sale or insolvency, they will never recapture what they once were.

35. jwacky

jwacky Initiate (89) Apr 13, 2017 California

I was excited for Monsters Cabana based entirely off of how surprised I was by Cloud Cabana. It's really similar, IMO. I love the taster I had and took home a crowler.

wolf13 and Brent212 like this.
  36. riko

riko Initiate (119) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

Last night I had a can of the new batch of Chaos Grid: The Final Course. Today I had a half-pint pour of the new Monster Tones. I liked both a lot and probably prefer TFC.

On another note, it's frustrating how few crowler options they have when I'm trying to use my bar credit. And two of the beers listed on the board as available in crowlers turned out to be "mistakes" when I tried to order them.

AlmostDeadly777, Brent212 and SP23 like this.
  37. pdmoore714

pdmoore714 Devotee (497) Dec 26, 2013 California
    Society Trader

38. Resistance88

Resistance88 Zealot (525) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

39. annakarina

I haven't been to either spot but it looks like there's also about 25 beers on tap at both locations and they said they're brewing at the Dojo. Cocktails would actually be helpful for me since my friend can no longer drink beer.

lucius10, Resistance88 and skelliott like this.
  40. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Aspirant (222) Jun 23, 2013 California

lucius10 and elNopalero like this.