Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Canada Molson Canadien or Labatt Blue?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ZAP, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZAP

ZAP Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota

OK..I shouldn't have to put a disclaimer but check my reviews....I drink a lot of quality beer but after hockey we tend to have either Labatt Blue or Molson Canadien in the lockerroom....

What is your preference? I personally think Molson Canadien is considerably better for the style of beer.....nice macro maltiness....Labatt is just kind of astringent........thoughts?

2. bylerteck

bylerteck May 17, 2009 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Blue is better b/c it's named after the Bombers.

JonnyBeers and kjyost like this.
  3. LarryAppleton

LarryAppleton Dec 1, 2012 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Gatorade.

Rutager likes this.
  4. FEUO

FEUO Jul 24, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

I don't think when I drink either. But in the past I have always leaned towards Blue.

TheSevenDuffs likes this.
  5. liamt07

liamt07 Jul 26, 2009 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Old Milwuakee tall boys.

6. tectactoe

tectactoe Mar 20, 2012 Michigan

Molson sucks just slightly less.

WassailWilly likes this.
  7. peensteen

peensteen Apr 3, 2010 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Molson Canadian I guess if its between the two....but I would take a PBR straight up over both of them

8. Jeffo

Jeffo Sep 7, 2008 Netherlands

Molson Canadian for sure. I often drink one on the flight home and it gives me that "Home and Native" feel :)

Jeff

9. CanuckRover

CanuckRover Jul 10, 2007 Ontario (Canada)

Blue hands down, can't get a Canadian down... though I have been known to happily drink an Ex at dive bars.

10. kjyost

kjyost May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

Blue - Bombers & a true North End Winnipeg beer.

That said they are both swill and I only drink them when with the great unwashed (my friends) so I'll take whatever they prefer.

11. decimator

decimator Jun 1, 2009 Ontario (Canada)

If those are my only choices - Canadian for sure.

12. paulys55

paulys55 Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

If Canadien is the same thing as Canadian, then Canadian...but I really wouldn't care either way.

13. papat444

papat444 Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

When i started out drinking, they didn't have Canadian in Quebec but didn't matter, i was a Blue Dry guy. Now they taste like alcohol fuel or something (i can't really describe it but it's off-putting). My dad has been having some Black Label at his house recently, that's not bad Also, when we were at my sister-in-law's for the Super Bowl, they had Molson Canadian and it was alright.

14. Electros

Electros Feb 20, 2007 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Canadian.

15. korguy123

korguy123 May 17, 2008 Ontario (Canada)

I think the only thing I hate more than Canadian is Blue...
    Canadian for me.

JonnyBeers likes this.
  16. sliverX

sliverX Oct 5, 2007 S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

I'm not partial as long as its cold, hell there's usually a case between the benches.
    The only time I drank a Mich Ultra was in the locker room it was just like water.

libbey and Rempo like this.
  17. KStark

KStark Jul 13, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)

If I have to drink either Blue Or Canadian at a bar I usally add Clamato to improve the taste. They are good for beer cocktails.

I find little differance between them.

In BC Canadian is brewed in Vancouver and Blue is brewed in Alberta. There will be differences between the regional breweries. I'm not sure where the exported beers are brewed.

18. thehyperduck

thehyperduck Feb 26, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

If those are the only choices then I would take Canadian in a heartbeat. I don't think it's that bad as far as industrial-style pale lagers go.

But if I'm going to be buying a domestic pale lager with my own money I'd rather save a few bucks and get Upper Canada or something.

19. CanuckRover

CanuckRover Jul 10, 2007 Ontario (Canada)

It's funny, Blue always struck me as being at least recognizably of a style. The profile seems vaguely pilsnery to me, while Canadian has always seemed unappetizingly sweet. Seems I'm in the minority big time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe