Molson Coors dropping Miller name as it rebrands the company

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by JackHorzempa, Oct 31, 2019.

1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,185) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Roguer and JediMasterLenin like this.
  2. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (1,970) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota

Uh oh. Tis gonna be a cheesehead riot.

KRug, Tripel_Threat and dj420 like this.
  3. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,420) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

Eh, shrug. There will still be "Miller" branded product on the shelves, this is just corporate motion.

4. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,292) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

That's what I was thinking. It'd be idiocy to rebrand the iconic Miller products.

5. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,812) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! My head just fell off or I'd still be laughing!

neenerzig likes this.
  6. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, it is Halloween!:stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

StubFaceJoe, KRug, HermitDan and 3 others like this.
  7. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (289) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

It's Miller time, eh?

officerbill and Bitterbill like this.
  8. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,868) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, I don't think any US labels actually say "MillerCoors Brewing Co.", they all say "Miller" or "Coors" or any of a number of others ("Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Co." "Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co., Golden, CO. " "Blue Moon Brewing Co." "Hamm's Brewing Co." "Mickey's Brewing Co., Milwaukee, WI", etc.,), so I'd imagine they'll still use the 'dba' of "Miller Brewing Co." on the labels of the brands that originated with the now-defunct Miller Brewing Company.

EDIT - Ah, shit - I left off my favorite MC 'dba' name -
    Oil Can Breweries, Fort Worth, TX :grin:

#8 jesskidden, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,881) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Oil Can. Didn't they use that for the 2 Fosters beers? Probably still do; it's been a while.

KentT and HermitDan like this.
  10. reowin

reowin Initiate (43) Nov 24, 2017 Tennessee
    Trader

wait so this means it will be molson lite and molson high life now? or just the company name for distribution is changing and it will still be miller lite/high life here in the usa? can someone please answer?

also why would they do this what about all the shows and movies miller lite and been in before now if they change it noone will know what miller ever was?

11. beertunes

Trader

From the linked article: "While Molson Coors will work to invest in its iconic brands of Miller Lite and Coors Light". So, I'm guessing, nothing will change for the consumer. This is just corporate rebranding that only matters to the empty suits.

12. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,605) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

@JackHorzempa ... I think you might be misleading / exaggerating just a smidge with your thread subject! :wink:

In order to "better reflect its strategic intent to expand beyond beer and into other growth adjacencies," the company will legally change its name from Molson Coors Brewing Company to Molson Coors Beverage Company.

Source: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/201...es-change-name-after-Q3-losses/9451572473597/

Looks to me like the change is from "Brewing" to "Beverage" (although I didn't read the article you linked since it is behind a "pay or we'll clutter your computer with advertising" wall.

officerbill, rgordon and beertunes like this.
  13. JackHorzempa

Society

Did you go to the article that I linked? That article was entitled: "Molson Coors dropping Miller name as it rebrands the company".

Cheers!

14. MNAle

Society

No. Since it wanted me to pay or allow their ads, I found an alternate source on the name change.

It would appear UPI and your source do not agree.

15. beertunes

Trader

There was no pay wall for me, but in the article you linked, they say they are keeping the Miller brand name, as i quoted in reply #11.

16. JackHorzempa

Society

There was mention of "iconic Miller Lite" but not beyond that.

Cheers!

17. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yup - besides their website (linked in my post above - 'snip' in image below) the labels say it as well - even the 12 oz'ers :thinking_face: (but I guess oil comes in all sorts of containers...)

Ditto for using a 'dba' for Hamm's - a brewing company that hasn't existed since the 1970s with the brand name being owned by Olympia and then Pabst before becoming a Miller-owned label (and, needless to say, was never in Milwaukee).

[​IMG]

#17 jesskidden, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Spikester, beertunes and Bitterbill like this.
  18. MNAle

Society

It was pay or allow ads... IOW, it was objecting to my ad blocker and not allowing me to read the article unless I subscribed or white-listed their site. I instead found an alternate source.

officerbill likes this.
  19. beertunes

Trader

Shrug, the article came up clean for me.

20. MNAle

Society

Well, I do run some pretty aggressive ad blockers! :wink:

MistaRyte and beertunes like this.
  21. AWA

AWA Aspirant (263) Jul 22, 2014 California

I'm feeling like I should blame this on millennials. Not sure, but it seems everything happening in the world is completely due to them. Or maybe just another large company misinterpreting a current trend as a long term situation that they would actually need to adjust too. They just might want to hire some better consultants. Or maybe just chill for a few months and drink a beer before they ruin a storied brand.

22. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Devotee (434) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

And who actually cares?

DISKORD and beertunes like this.
  23. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,213) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

It’s also clear in that reference that those are examples, not a comprehensive list.

Company names are not brand or label names of products.

You’re pulling this from an industry rag where the intended audience is familiar with the difference.

If you’re interpreting this as the brand name Miller going away you’re incorrect.

beertunes likes this.
  24. rgordon

rgordon Savant (983) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Miller High Life is alive and somewhat well. The brand is going to continue because it is the champagne of beers. And that remains hard to top.

StubFaceJoe, Bitterbill and beertunes like this.
  25. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (289) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

Maybe with the name change they will take some inspiration from their colleagues to the north and start selling MHL as Le Champagne des bières.[​IMG]
    :stuck_out_tongue:

26. JediMasterLenin

JediMasterLenin Initiate (189) Dec 25, 2018 District of Columbia

Wait... wasn't there a thread just last week about how Miller was going dark on social media as a stunt to promote the idea that "Miller Time is about person-to-person connection...?"

“We thought that was an awesome opportunity to kind of relaunch it and redefine what Miller Time means today."

Whoops.....

27. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (148) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

No, that would be

[​IMG]

beertunes, Bitterbill and rgordon like this.
  28. craigbelly

craigbelly Champion (829) Dec 31, 2015 Iowa

Nothing changes (except their declining sale)...this is just a corporate rebranding. Probably changing or consolidating of dba's has a finical benefit for the company. Move debt around or benefit from a tax formality.

beertunes likes this.
  29. rgordon

True. I used to sell Deus and it is very good. And a touch pricey.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  30. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Devotee (488) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

I'll take "Misleading Headlines" for $1000, Alex

:rolling_eyes:

errantnight, beertunes and islay like this.
  31. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (378) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

There are two separate stories running at the same time. One is the OP where
    Basically merging the Canadian & US divisions and folding International into North American or European, probably depending on the region.

The other is the rebranding from Brewing to Beverage with
    https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauk...on-coors-beverage-co-the-focus-shifts-to.html

AlcahueteJ and beertunes like this.
  32. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,881) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

First ~$25 bottle that I ever saw.

33. jesskidden

Society Trader

The beverage industry's Shanken News' article on the restructuring phrased it:
    Brewbound's wording:
    And their own blog (soon to be renamed, one expects:grin:) MillerCoors Blog said:

Well, among "regular" (aka "not light") beers, in the US it's topped by a King, and (in Spanish) a Crown and a "Special" beer... Hell, even Busch and Heineken outsell it.

Like all US AAL macro (former) flagships, it has seen better days... like circa 1980 when it peaked at over 20 million barrels/year, compared to the last few years' 3.5M bbl....

34. islay

islay Aspirant (294) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Agreed, although as far as I can tell the "It will no longer be 'Miller time'" portion was added by the OP, and that's the most misleading part. It's just a change to the name of the parent company. I don't like calling it a "rebranding," because, while technically that's true for the parent company itself in business-to-business interactions, there's no indication that this will have any impact on the branding of the beers, which matters orders of magnitude more than the parent company name to consumers (how many regular consumers of Bud Light have any idea that "InBev" is part of the name of the company that produces it?).

35. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, technically, they went a different route than MC did as far as corporate naming goes. Anheuser-Busch Companies, Inc. still exists in the US.

beertunes and Bitterbill like this.
  36. rgordon

The Champagne of Bottled Beer, The Beer that Made Milwaukee Famous, and The Land of Pleasant Living, or Hey Mabel, Black Label are cultural media relics that arranged beer specific consumers to their brand. Remembering those times and appreciating the modern beer scene are not mutually exclusive, but beer-wise historically important.

#36 rgordon, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    officerbill and Bitterbill like this.
  37. beertunes

Trader

It used to be. But, now, what with $20 4packs and $30+ 22s of barrel-aged and sour beers, that $40 DeuS is looking like a bargain.

38. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (148) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

I'm willing to forgo a whisky/rum/brandy purchase (ONCE!) just to try it out

beertunes likes this.
  39. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,213) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

I ultimately reported for this reason so we’ll see if a moderator can tweak the post name to resolve some of the confusion.

40. beertunes

Trader

It's awesome. A once or twice a year treat, especially at New Years or Valentine's Day.