Molson joins forces with other brewers for Canada Day

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Coronaeus, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,074) Apr 21, 2014 Canada
    Trader

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,537) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

It will be interesting to see what level of enthusiasm Molson sees from other Canadian breweries for this unique mix-pack. If they receive more offers than they can accommodate within a case it will be intriguing to see how they decide which beer/brewery to include and which won't be included - maybe first come first served?

@Coronaeus, please keep us informed.

Cheers!

3. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,379) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

I am interested. Anybody know what exactly is in it ? I’m not familiar with the colors and letterings on the pack

ChicagoJ, ManBearPat and Coronaeus like this.
  4. Coronaeus

Trader

Yes. I’m probably most curious to see if a Labatt or Moosehead or Sleeman product ends up in there. Would that be something their competitors would want to join in on? The preliminary branding is very ‘Molson.’

I’ll be following it out of curiosity more than anything.

JackHorzempa, FBarber and Electros like this.
  5. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,005) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

If it includes Black Horse Ale, Molson Stock Ale and Frontenac Ale, I'm in!

(Well, I supposed that'll depend on me driving up to Ontario first. Is the border opened? I got a facemask!)

6. Coronaeus

Trader

I think it has just been announced and they are still in the compiling process. The lettering on the case seems to be other Molson products from what I can tell.

Urk1127 likes this.
  7. Coronaeus

Trader

A quick perusal of the Instagram post on this shows at least one small brewer interested.

The logistics of getting this done for July 1st are interesting. I wonder if some smaller breweries might be interested if only to help make up for the lost revenues during the Covid shutdown?

8. Coronaeus

Trader

Quoting myself here.

The rather overt attack In the marketing of this on the success of Budweiser as the best selling brand in the country, makes me really wonder if Labatt would entertain joining in.

FBarber likes this.
  9. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,379) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

It would be interesting to see inbev do this too. And coors because it seems like they take a shit at the variety 12 or case just as craft brewers do to spark interest.
    Imagine a bud light variety. Orange. Lime. Pineapple. I tried the lemon iced Tea and honestly can complain. But I can see this becoming a thing all over.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  10. Coronaeus

Trader

From another perusal of the responses to their posts on social media, it looks like there is some interest. I see at least four ‘craft’ breweries that have publicly expressed interest in inclusion. Nothing that would get the majority of users on this site excited, but interesting nonetheless.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  11. JackHorzempa

Society

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Molson really did not allocate much time here. The cynical part of me is starting to think this is more of a publicity stunt (e.g., free PR). To that extent it has us discussing Molson on BA.:grimacing:

Cheers!

12. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Poo-Bah (5,295) Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Society

Some of the Canadian craft beer fans I follow on Twitter have the same opinion of the mixed brewery case. They're sure the breweries involved have already decided to participate beforehand and it's just a social media publicity stunt by Molson. No way they can realistically have it ready for release on July 1st unless it's already been planned out beforehand.

13. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, score "1" for Molson for generating some 'buzz'!?!:confused:

Cheers!

14. jesskidden

Society Trader

Doesn't Molson co-own the Ontario Beer Store (along with Labatt and Sleeman)? Can't they just send in employees with gloves (those crown caps can be rough when pulling bottles out of cases all day), box cutters and those empty cases and do the mix right in the back room?:grin:

15. Coronaeus

Trader

Ha! Ya. But then it would be the Ontario pack and it would be about a month early for Simcoe Day celebrations, such as they are....

16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,196) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

In unrelated news, I saw 6packs of Molson Golden for the first time in ages.

Urk1127 and ChicagoJ like this.
  17. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,712) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

The border is open for 'essential travel only.' Is beer essential? :wink:

ChicagoJ likes this.
  18. jesskidden

Society Trader

Brewed where, tho'?
    [​IMG]
    Gotta admit, brewing it in Golden is a nice touch...

If it is not, what else possibly could be?:thinking_face:

19. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Well, I went in today to check that out and lo and behold, all of the 6packs were gone. I have no idea what is going on.

20. JackHorzempa

Society

Must be a popular beer?

Cheers!

Bitterbill likes this.
  21. Bitterbill

Society Trader

The Golden was right next to the Canadian on the middle shelf. Today, the Canadian was on the bottom shelf with no empty space nor tag next to it. And no, I cannot believe that it sold out that quickly.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  22. Bitterbill

Society Trader

I read somewhere that it was being brewed in Trenton. Is that incorrect?

23. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, that does sound familiar but it depends on the COLA - even when the approved label says, in the case of a Molson Coors domestically brewed beer, only one brewery they may also brew it at other MC breweries (listed on the COLA but not on the labels) - which is permitted under TTB labeling rules. They do have to list the actual brewery on their date code stamp. For MC, it's the second and third digit of the second line of the code.
    [​IMG]

Bitterbill likes this.
  24. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Found some at a different store and yeah, Golden Colorado.

25. Coronaeus

Trader

Molson Golden was recently brought back up here. They chose to use the old quart (625ml) bottles that were popular in the 80s with a ridiculous looking full bottle wrap label.

The comments to this blog post on the beer are interesting.

http://www.beeretseq.com/molson-golden-ale/

26. jesskidden

Society Trader

Wait. I used to think the old (pre-Pro/early Repeal) US industry terminology of calling the standard 12 oz. bottle a "PINT" was a bit of a deception ("According to my 3rd Grade teacher, Mrs. Smythe, there are 16 ounces in a pint, not 12!") but, goddam, you Canadians were way too nice to put up with calling a 625ml (~22 oz.) bottles "QUARTS"!

There was a pretty extensive discussion of Molson Golden Ale/Beer in the US over in the thread GOLDEN ALE, so sorry to go a bit OT in this thread about Canadian brewers' mixed packs (ah, it happens....) but the earliest citation of the product being labeled "BEER" that I find dates from the late 1970s and was pretty common by the mid-80s in ads from Martlet Importers (Molson's wholly-owned US import division):
    [​IMG]
    but retailers still called it "ALE" for years after in ads. A 1978 article in The Montreal Gazette on Molson's US market said that "Of the three beers, only Canadian is a lager."

I notice, too, on that new Canadian bottle, while the brand is called Molson Golden Ale the bottom line says
    "625 mL - 5% alc./vol. BEER/BIERE"
    Wouldn't it say "ALE/BIERE" if it was an ale in Canada? :grin:

Gilmore used to post here in the BA forums occasionally (he and I bumped heads a few times :grin:) - forget what his screen-name was - a famous brewer/brewing scientist, IIRC. I notice he links to stuff on my websites often and I keep meaning to join in the "Reply" section of a few of his site's entries.

#26 jesskidden, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  27. Coronaeus

Trader

The quart thing Ive always found odd. I grew up in a very francophone area of Quebec where the local taverns offered ‘quart’ bottles, and even used the English word to describe the size. You’d get a ‘quart’ and a small 6oz glass when you ordered, and usually a salt shaker in case you wanted to shake a little into your glass to make it ‘taste like draft.’

Im sure you know this, but the Beer/Biere thing is just a labeling requirement depending on the ABV. If I remember correctly 4% and under is Light Beer, over 5.5% is Strong Beer and over 7% is Extra Strong Beer.

I like his blog, but a lot of the history, at least the Canadian history is from his memory and can be off the mark. Some of the commenters add some great stuff. I didn’t know he was in the industry. I thought he was a lawyer. Interesting.

Bitterbill likes this.
  28. jesskidden

Society Trader

It used to throw me a bit when I'd find old ads or other brewery paper that listed "Pint" bottles when I knew they were 12 oz'ers. I compare it to a "2 by 4" piece of lumber than everyone knows isn't going to be 2" by 4".

Somewhere I have a pre-Pro ad from some small brewery boasting of the fact that their "Pint" bottles were actually 16 ounces, unlike the well-known brands - they advertised them as being "FULL PINTS".

Ha. Nope, never realized that re: the current Canadian legal "Fine Print". I was thinking of numerous Canadian ale brand labels that were bi-lingual, like this Molson example - Biere/Ale:
    [​IMG]
    No, didn't mean to imply that. The screen name he used here was that of a British brewery owner who is best remembered for being involved in the early exporting of India Pale Ale to India. * (Can't recall which one now - I will remember next time I got to the ATM and try to remember my PIN number and the name of the UK brewer will come up. DAMN!)

* EDIT- HODGSON (after George Hodgson) - last post here was in January of this year but he's only posted in a few threads since 2015 or so.

#28 jesskidden, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  29. onezendad

onezendad Aspirant (201) Apr 16, 2018 Canada
    Society

It's a bunch of contract brewers and widely known terrible small places. Brock street, radical road, smithhavens (which has been for sale). Mediocre at best beer, or in the case of Brock st, beer that tastes like cigarettes and regret.

30. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Why is there no mention of the Golden on their website?
    Edit: I should specify the Molson Coors website.

31. lackenhauser

lackenhauser Poo-Bah (2,530) Dec 10, 2002 Maryland
    Society Trader

Have not had a Canadian macro in years. I am down with this.

Bitterbill likes this.
  32. Coronaeus

Trader

Is it out now? My curiosity might get the better of me if I can’t find a bottle list.

Ah! Brock Street! Durham region’s second worst brewery!

Bitterbill and onezendad like this.
  33. pudgym29

pudgym29 Initiate (79) Mar 14, 2009 Illinois

I usually delete images in my responses, but I learned something from this image. (I have saved it. :grin:)
    The off-topic question I have upon seeing this image is: For the Leinenkugel beer I buy (Snowdrift Vanilla Porter), I wonder how it discerns between the plant on the west side of Milwaukee, and the one which was built by Blatz in the early 1980s which is in downtown Milwaukee.
    {After walking onto the inside back porch which is open because it is quite warm here tonight and retrieving an empty 12-pack carrier...}
    The code on this 12-pack carrier is
    FEB1020
    D21021518

~~~ "Tenth Street"? ~~~ That's the downtown Milwaukee brewery?:astonished::beer:

34. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, that brewery, was built by Heileman (which had owned the Blatz label since buying it in the mid-60s from Pabst after the DoJ made them sell it due to a anti-trust decision over Pabst purchase of Blatz in the late 1950s) also gave the MillerCoors specialty division "Tenth and Blake" half of its name. The other half, Blake, come from the Denver location of the new Blue Moon brewery.

When opened in '86 by Heileman, which actually called it a "microbrewery", it was a small, highly automated, draught-only brewery with only a dozen employees and the first brewmaster was ex-Huber's Hans Kestler. IIRC, Redhook was rumored to be interested in buying it at some point but it was eventually purchased by Leinenkugel, by then a Miller subsidiary, in the mid-90s.

35. onezendad

Society

36. onezendad

Society

Falcon should be nervous

Coronaeus likes this.
  37. Coronaeus

Trader

Ding! Ding! Ding! I see you are a man of fine tastes!

onezendad likes this.
  38. Redrover

Redrover Poo-Bah (3,431) Jan 18, 2003 Wisconsin
    Society

When opened in '86 by Heileman, which actually called it a "microbrewery", it was a small, highly automated, draught-only brewery with only a dozen employees and the first brewmaster was ex-Huber's Hans Kestler. IIRC, Redhook was rumored to be interested in buying it at some point but it was eventually purchased by Leinenkugel, by then a Miller subsidiary, in the mid-90s.[/QUOTE]

Hans Kessler also did radio spots for Huber. Among his many tag lines was "Drink a little Beer" said in his German accent.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1985-10-10-8503090216-story.html

Bitterbill likes this.