Germany Monasteries Brewing for Own Consumption Only?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by ThirstyWarrior, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThirstyWarrior

ThirstyWarrior Initiate (0) May 9, 2012 Arizona

Does anyone know of monasteries in Germany, or anywhere else for that matter, that brew their own beer not to sell, but just for their own consumption?

2. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2005 Germany

Monasteries being very secretive and close knit communities we'd probably never know. There are 3 monasteries around here selling beer that I'm aware of, Plankstetten (contract brewed at the Riedenburger Brauhaus), Weltenburg (they basically brew for their own beer garden and all beer you see on shelves is brewed by Bischhofshof Regensburg) and Mallersdorf.

nloetz likes this.
  3. ThirstyWarrior

I'm sure it won't be an easy question to answer for that very reason, but doesn't the possibility exist?

4. spartan1979

spartan1979 Aspirant (296) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

It was my understanding that some of the Weltenburg beers are brewed at the monastery and then trucked to Regensburg for bottling.

5. WhatANicePub

WhatANicePub Initiate (178) Jul 1, 2009 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Beer is so cheap in Germany that there would be no point unless they were brewing as a commercial venture to finance the monastery.

6. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,869) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Unless... they were making something so good that they didn't want anyone else to know! :wink:

Not very Christian that, I suppose. :grinning:

7. ThirstyWarrior

I was thinking that small batch brewing would be in keeping with the monastic tradition of being self sufficient. I bet if we unlock enough heavy wooden doors, we just might find something interesting.

8. WhatANicePub

WhatANicePub Initiate (178) Jul 1, 2009 United Kingdom (Scotland)

You unlock the heavy wooden door.

The heavy wooden door is open.

To the east you can see:
    Some barrels

What now?

nloetz likes this.
  9. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (292) Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

Enter said room. Ask for a window seat, a pretzel and a beer. Be assertive and swift.

Bierman9 and ThirstyWarrior like this.
  10. ThirstyWarrior

Or polite and swift!

11. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (2,951) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Explain that you are a weary traveler without any money and needing shelter for the night. You haven't eaten for two days and also ask if it would also be possible to share the evening repast, including the Abbey beer, in exchange for a day or two's work in the fields alongside the monks.

Bierman9 likes this.
  12. ThirstyWarrior

I would go for that in a heartbeat.

13. LBerges

LBerges Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2010 Germany

I am quite sure there are no monasteries that make beer for own consumption only.
    Also because selling beer was always part of their business.
    And there are only very few monasteries where beer is made by monks and sold to public (like Mallersdorf).
    Some have the brewery inside the monastery but it is run by some else (like Reutberg).
    And some sold their name for mass production elsewhere (like Weltenburg, Scheyern)

boddhitree likes this.
  14. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poo-Bah (4,165) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Thank you, Sir. May I please have another?

15. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (389) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

So then I'm the only nerd who was going to respond with "Cast Magic Missile at barrels"? :flushed:

nloetz and Domingo like this.
  16. Erzengel

Erzengel Aspirant (290) Sep 8, 2008 Germany
    Beer Trader

To Scheyern: The mass-production sold in Germany comes as far as I know from Tucher in Nürnberg, but they also brew their own beer, selling it with different labels at the brewery itself: http://www.klosterbrauerei-scheyern.de - and these beers are really great!!

And with Weltenburg it is a bit different - it is stated on the label where the beer is brewed - and the brewery Bischofshof in Regensburg, where the majority of the bottled-beer is brewed, is owned by the catholic church (diocese Regensburg). So mass-production ± yes, but not as commercial like Tucher etc.

17. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2005 Germany

I have never seen an Asam Bock NOT brewed in the monastery itself, I have never seen a Hell brewed there, Most of the Barok Dunkel is also by Bischhofshof but it's stated on the back label of the bottle all the time where it's brewed and bottled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.