Monkish Brewing (July 2017)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by Black_Rider, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Mar 26, 2013 California

went to the tr over the weekend. was weird to see only 3 Belgian offerings on tap

R1c0rtez likes this.
  2. BeersandBread

BeersandBread Jan 20, 2016 California

Why? Monkish stands for
    Monkish
    Only
    Nails
    Kitsch
    IPAs
    Sucka
    Hippopotamuses

schuey1010 likes this.
  3. R1c0rtez

R1c0rtez Oct 5, 2012 California

Been supporting since they were barely 1 year old and IPAs were no where even close to being in sight. Loved the relaxed 'empty' atmosphere back then. Gets extremely crowded now and I do miss certain beers that were on tap back then.

GravyRobber and UnknownKoger like this.
  4. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Jul 9, 2010 California

I take every chance possible to badger them to bring back Rosa's Hips

5. jnance88

jnance88 Jun 10, 2014 California
    Trader

I have to admit that I am a fan of can release announcements, literally, as they open.

Angst, Atrox77, Black_Rider and 6 others like this.
  6. GravyRobber

GravyRobber Feb 4, 2015 California

Damn, I was hoping to be able to swing in for some growler fills today around 3.30. Doubt that'll be easy with the can release zoo that I'm sure is in full effect

7. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Jan 7, 2013 California

why? By 3:30, the can bros will be at fedex shipping it off to their east coast traders. Honestly shouldn't be that much more of a wait than normal. They've got the whole growler fill game on lock now with deli style with numbers given for orders.

8. clayfu

clayfu Apr 27, 2010 California

still takes a long ass time even with that. I was the fourth person in line and i wasn't out until 20 minutes after they opened.

9. jnance88

Trader

Zero line. 90 cases.

10. Dka67

Dka67 Nov 27, 2014 California
    Trader

Hazebros broke? Or over it?

11. ayearetee

ayearetee Nov 23, 2016 California

230 cases at 2 4-packs pp. 690 full allotments and announcements right at opening. Hardly any lines, love it.

BeerBaron666 likes this.
  12. asong_net

asong_net Jan 26, 2016 California
    Trader

that 110 traffic though...

13. dcgunman

dcgunman Jul 1, 2009 California
    Society Trader

...and that 405?
    hour n half from lax to hb today. wtf! skipped home and went straight to bwhb.

ComradePalmer likes this.
  14. BreakingMyBalls

BreakingMyBalls Apr 27, 2017 California
    Trader

This is literally one of the only reasons I've yet to go to Monkish. I work from a home office and am blessed in that I can head that way pretty much anytime for a can release, but I'm in Anaheim. During normal, non-rush hour traffic, it would only take me about 25 minutes to get over to Torrance. Every time they announce a can release though, I check Google maps, and there is literally an accident or shutdown causing a delay.

Every.

Single.

Time.

So it's always 45 minutes or more just getting there, waiting in line for an hour or more, and then fighting rush hour traffic coming back. 3-4 hours of my day, just for 4-8 cans? Yeaahhhhhhh no. Been wanting to hit a Monkish release for about 5 months now, still hasn't happened. Haven't even tried any cans from trading or anything because traders usually want your left nut in return. Just can't see myself expending that much time, money, and resources for something so small in return. Here's hoping they move to online sales someday.

#54 BreakingMyBalls, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  15. SDReaper

SDReaper Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

I think I would rather be on the 110 right now than going into downtown San Diego and attempting to find parking.

wolf13 and nfurman like this.
  16. OTB

OTB Sep 2, 2011 California

Go get some growler fills of their IPA/DIPAs at your convenience, great beer and no hassles for the most part. I like the larger batch size and reduced allocation numbers though, more beer for people that want to drink it rather than sell / trade it. Hell, it lasted 4 1/2 hours today, if I wasn't tied up in a mock up review with clients I might have given it a shot around 4pm.

Cheers

#56 OTB, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  17. mtrovato328

mtrovato328 Dec 8, 2015 California

Left irvine at 2:30... Showed up at 3:30.. zero wait... in and out

Love it!

18. Dka67

Dka67 Nov 27, 2014 California
    Trader

Have great 2.5hr drive back!

m34josh, mikkelly, taylordane and 4 others like this.
  19. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Mar 26, 2013 California

mom's credit card revoked

20. NicIsAwesome

NicIsAwesome Jun 30, 2014 California
    Trader

Go tomorrow evening (I've never seen a line at night on Sundays) and get rushing radioactivity. I've only had a handful of Monkish but that was my favorite IPA. Should be just as good as most cans

Atrox77 and BreakingMyBalls like this.
  21. R1c0rtez

R1c0rtez Oct 5, 2012 California

Well they just put anomaly back on tap, which is also fantastic. Maybe we'll see full fledged OG lineup comeback soon?

UnknownKoger and Zalamero like this.
  22. jnance88

Trader

Pshhh...
    Now that's just crazy talk. No one wants good Belgian-ish beer.

R1c0rtez likes this.
  23. SovereignGood

SovereignGood Jan 11, 2016 California

For anyone there now, how's the line for fills?

24. OTB

I dropped in around 2pm. Maybe 6-8 people in line inside the tap room.

Cheers,

25. SovereignGood

SovereignGood Jan 11, 2016 California

Ended up not making the drive today but appreciate the update. Hoping Foggier is still on for fills tomorrow.

26. riko

riko Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

I stopped there for growler fills Friday on my way up for FYF. Arrived a few minutes after 1:00. There were 50 people in line for cans and 20 people in line for growlers when I arrived. I was able to get cans and growler fills and be on my way in about 25 minutes. They seem to be good at managing a crowd.

27. ayearetee

Foggier fills are so expensive: $14 for a 750ml and $27 for 64oz.

But I guess, you pay more for the DDH and the fact that it's a canned (and one of their best) beers.

28. Mikeushbeotch

Mikeushbeotch Jul 27, 2014 California

Is it still available? Gonna swing by tonight for a fill and was hoping for it.

29. ayearetee

30. jnance88

Trader

Well, you might want to wait until late since there is a can release in about an hour. So 4-6 will be a shitshow.

31. JohnCassillo

JohnCassillo Mar 29, 2013 California

One of the first beers I ever had from them. Would love to see it back. Wonder if the demand for that one's just not there compared to other Belgian-style offerings.

32. OTB

IMHO its worth every penny, I've filled four already and if it's still on tomorrow when I go fill La Schmoove I'll get more, its one of the best DIPAs anywhere.

Cheers,

Ponzu4u, ESCO138 and ayearetee like this.
  33. OTB

Chelsea told me they brewed a shit load of Foggier so you should be fine, BTW, I love it that Henry is now doing growler fills of canned beers, hope this trend holds true for us that cant get to the can shit shows.

Cheers,

Flodiesel, Atrox77 and SovereignGood like this.
  34. phishbeer

phishbeer Jan 2, 2017 New York

Having my first monkish beers this evening that my wife brought back from her trip there this weekend. What's the reputation of Foggier Window and Rushing Radioactivity?

35. ayearetee

Foggier is one of their best beers, period.

Ponzu4u likes this.
  36. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Jan 7, 2013 California

does a reputation matter more than what you personally think of the way it taste?

Atrox77, AyeDogg and Ponzu4u like this.
  37. swanfungus

swanfungus Dec 23, 2014 California
    Society Trader

For people whose opinions of beer are formed more by how they look in a glass on Instagram than how they taste...sadly yes.

OTB likes this.
  38. OTB

Or what they can get trade wise or $$$ wise.

Cheers,

39. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Oct 29, 2013 California
    Trader

I know that our names are def isn't the best offering of theirs, but I had a growler of it and while it was tasty I opened a can of Casa western glow right after, and it blew it out of the water.

IPA_Lush and brentusaurus like this.
  40. HopHead89

HopHead89 Oct 20, 2016 California

Does anyone know if they are doing growler fills of La Schmoove?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.