Monkish Brewing Summer 2018 Thread

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by OTB, Jun 2, 2018.

1. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Initiate (169) Aug 30, 2013 California

This would be awesome, especially if the people travelled around the country to the breweries who are known to have lines.

2. OTB

OTB Disciple (375) Sep 2, 2011 California

My daily dress for work would be considered casual for most, jeans and casual cotton shirts everyday.

Cheers

3. Jfa82

Jfa82 Initiate (126) Apr 9, 2016 California
    Trader

The parents with kids has always been annoying to me. With this heat though, it is infuriating. I've been lucky, in that last couple months, to be in the area when the IG announcements have dropped like 3 times. There's always this guy, or his wife/mom, who have obviously been there since early in the day with a little girl around 3 years old. In the sun...in her stroller...dead asleep. I have a 3 and 5 year old...never ever would I even think about bringing them to release, much less in this heat.
    Lately I've been seeing this fat old broad with an older African American couple, usually near the front of the line. They're an elderly couple and you can tell they're there against there will. This is why I think releases should be done online. Not for fairness, but to help reduce the suffering these stupid lot lizards are selfishly inflicting on others.

Don't get me started on the haze bros. Haze Bros = Fat guy that steals Woody in Toy Story 2.

4. Jfa82

Jfa82 Initiate (126) Apr 9, 2016 California
    Trader

In August? Yeah dude.

5. jnance88

jnance88 Initiate (110) Jun 10, 2014 California
    Trader

An Apple Brandy barrel aged barleywine collab with The Veil? Stay away Haze Bros.

6. OTB

[​IMG]

Well one out of two aint bad, I was buried in a project and when I looked up it was 1:30 and Convivium ticket's were just a pleasant memory. I did however make it up the pub for some fills later in the day and filled up with this homage to all things Nelson. Eric and I shared stories about the good ol days of the OG Alpine Nelson and how this pungently sticky sweet fresh shipment of Nelson Sauvin reminded him of those heady days. Eric informed me that this farm also supplies Hill Farmstead and Cellermaker with their Nelson. This is massive, pungent mean and dirty and I love it, yea it can use a few days to behave itself but EF IT, I'm going in now, and yea, close your eyes and take a deep snort and you may think your sitting in the old pub up on the hill. I cannot wait to see what Henry does with a consistent high quality source of Nelson hops to play with.

Cheers,

#206 OTB, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  7. J-loco

J-loco Initiate (181) Jan 23, 2015 California

Ha thought of you as I grabbed a growler earlier.

8. OTB

What time were you there ? I was in the back hanging with Eric for a little while.

Cheers,

9. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Devotee (497) Jul 9, 2010 California

I, too, grabbed a growler. Went in about 1:30. Going camping this weekend and needed a fill.

10. OTB

All you guys, this stuff is stupid good, even as young as it is. I'm loving every sip ! The nose is just insane. Cant wait to hear your guys takes. I'm going to grab a few more solely to age for a couple weeks. Just missed you, I got there around 2:30-ish.

Cheers,

UnknownKoger and J-loco like this.
  11. J-loco

J-loco Initiate (181) Jan 23, 2015 California

A little after 4

12. webz

webz Initiate (17) Apr 4, 2018 California

Weren't kidding man. This thing is killer! My favorite growler fill I've ever had from them

OTB likes this.
  13. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (82) Dec 6, 2014 California

Having my last can of Cousin of Death right now. Damn it's tasty.

HopHead89, pro100 and R1c0rtez like this.
  14. HopHead89

HopHead89 Initiate (116) Oct 20, 2016 California
    Trader

Had Here To Fish last night, did anybody else think it was a bit HOT. I would sit on these for a while before cracking the next one

R1c0rtez likes this.
  15. R1c0rtez

R1c0rtez Initiate (34) Oct 5, 2012 California

Had it on draft after I got my cans. Didn't taste all that hot . Wonder how much of a difference between tap and can

HopHead89 likes this.
  16. HopHead89

Trader

crack one open and see...

17. OTB

[​IMG]

I went for my usual Friday fills and walked into this ! 10 people in front of me. I can definitely taste the more pronounced Nelson note from Henry's new NZ farm source, simply amazing at hours young.

Cheers,

HopHead89 and StonedRaider like this.
  18. OTB

With all due respect it's 9+ ABV, that's a boozy beer regardless.

Cheers,

HopHead89 likes this.
  19. StonedRaider

StonedRaider Initiate (129) Oct 25, 2007 California
    Trader

I planned a late lunch to grab some growler fills. Figured I’d drop in right at 1pm. Was pleasantly surprised to walk right into a can release. Was a little annoyed that the line for fills was a little long but the cans more than made up for it.

On a side note, that Pre-Historic B-Boy is giving me some serious OG Nelson feelz...

UnknownKoger likes this.
  20. Ma9573

Ma9573 Initiate (64) Feb 21, 2017 California

How long do the IPAs usually stay on tap? I'll be flying into LAX Sunday afternoon and would love to get a fill of Prehistoric B Boy before heading to Santa Barbara, but it will have been on tap for over a week. The only other IPA showing for fill is a 9.1% DIPA and that's a little strong for my tastes lol

21. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Initiate (128) Oct 29, 2013 California

Depending on demand, but normally a couple weeks. Also if you see it drop to 2 pp it means it’s getting close to being done. They also do a good job of keeping 2+ beers available for fills.
    You should be good for Sunday

22. HopHead89

Trader

True, but some beers hid the booze better than others for example Mockeries didnt taste as boozy as HTF, IMO and Mockeries was a TIPA.
    After I saw you post on prehistoric b-boy, it gave me the urge to buy a crowler of it. Just left monkish now. Haha cant wait to pop it open

R1c0rtez likes this.
  23. OTB

Very true and Henry is amazing at hiding the booziness in his higher gravity beers, my point simply was I don't think it should be a shock especially at days young, I am also one that thinks beers that exceed 9% maybe should could be called a TIPA ? I think Prehistoric is one of my favorite beers Henry has created, the great news is that it will be heading into cans ! It has that nose and flavor profile that reminds a lot of us old school guys of the OG Alpine Nelson, let us know what you think of it.

Cheers,

24. Ma9573

Ma9573 Initiate (64) Feb 21, 2017 California

Thanks dude!