Monocacy Brewing Co. (is it part of Brewers Alley affiliation)?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by bubseymour, Feb 2, 2013.

1. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (1,855) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Anyone know anything more about the Monocacy Brewing Co. that recently opened in Frederick, MD?
    I read something that it is affilaited with Brewers Alley in downtown Fredneck. I heard that Brewers recently moved their fermenters and operations out of their restaurant in the last year or so (I haven't been there in over a year). So just wondering what Monocacy Brewing Co. is. I heard also that the Flying Barrell may also be tied into all of this. Can anyone local to Frederick help clear the air on this? I've had many people ask.

Just bought a bottle of Riot Rye Pale Ale locally in Frederick, MD bottle shop. Must say it is a very fine beer if anyone likes hoppy ales with balanced malt flavors to boot. I entered "new brewer" for Monocacy here on BA and as soon as it passes inspector 12, I'll write a review of the first released beer.

2. Carrman

Carrman Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2012 Maryland

It is owned by the same people that own Brewers Alley. They did move all of their equipment out of the restaurant into the new facility which is actually a old factory building in Frederick. I believe The Flying Barrell is leasing space in the same building, don't know if they're affiliated with Monocacy or not.

3. bubseymour

Beer Trader

Great! Thanks for the info. I know that building well. It's been various Italian Restaurants over the last 20+ years, and an empty factory in the back. So all of the Brewer Alley Beers are now made from that facility as well? Don't quite understand the 2 names/1 brewery location though.

4. bubseymour

Beer Trader

So, not sure if anyone has been going to Monocacy Brewery taproom in a while (was at least 6+ mo. or more for myself) but they seemed to have really stepped up their game and are offering a really nice rotating taplist of brewery only releases called their Blank Slate series. Actually they are bottling their Blank Slate Althea Gose in very limited 6pack release and it is quite an excellent Gose. They have an IPA called Double Rex that I thought was pretty amazing. Worth checking out if your in Frederick area or looking for a day trip.

Tmwright7 likes this.
  5. Tmwright7

Tmwright7 Initiate (158) Feb 3, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Coincidentally I just picked up a 6 pack of Althea on Saturday after recommendation from the bottle shop employee. He compared it to Old Pro Gose and Geyser Gose. I thought it was delicious. It's got that salty kick i'm looking for in a gose. Would definitely buy again

6. bubseymour

Beer Trader

Yes its a nice balance of sour and salt, with a touch of fruit hiding in there. I think its really well balanced and not "lame" like some Goses made. It's got a little sour punch in there. I don't think its quite as sour as Union's Old Pro Gose however. I think its more in line with similarity to Victory's Cherry Kirsch Gose.

Tmwright7 likes this.
  7. Mongrel

Mongrel Crusader (729) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Basically Monocacy is Brewer's Alley and vice versa. Same ownership and all beers are now brewed at Monocacy's facilities. The owner, Phil Bowers, also runs Isabella's, Ayse, and Acacia.

Sidenote: I'm a big Monocacy fan, especially Riot Rye and Brewtus. Haven't had the gose yet.

Tmwright7 likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe