Moonraker Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by atomicpunk5151, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151 Aspirant (221) Jul 25, 2010 California
    Trader

Starting up a new thread for Moonraker Brewing 2019. 2018 saw a big expansion to a 2nd brewing facility. Also Cans reached DISTRO all over Sacramento, parts of the SF Bay, and parts of SoCAL. More Barrel Aged Stouts in bottles as well.

Got to try the first batch of Yojo for 2019. Solid for sure. No real change with their defacto flagship beer.

[​IMG]

Also a collab with HPB just came out as well.

KevSal likes this.
  2. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (219) Jun 13, 2006 California

Had my first Moonraker beer when I picked up a 4pk of Chain Shot IPA over Christmas from a store in Orange County; it was excellent, clear, clean, crisp and bitter WCIPA. Need more of that in San Diego!

3. vinylfiend1

vinylfiend1 Initiate (83) Jun 8, 2013 California
    Trader

Cabana hammock was tasting great tonight , juice hop bomb

BayAreaJoe, Ma9573 and atomicpunk5151 like this.
  4. Hype_Train

Hype_Train Initiate (170) Feb 8, 2017 California

Just had wicked whisper last night.. Holy shit just straight barrel! :heart_eyes: I got more of buffalo trace than 4roses but it was so delicious. Glad I grabbed a few bottles.

Ma9573, KevSal and atomicpunk5151 like this.
  5. atomicpunk5151

Trader

Got back up to Moonraker this weekend. Got to try the BA Wicked Whisper. As @Hype_Train mentioned above, a lot of Barrel for sure, stood out.

[​IMG]

Several great WEST Coast IPAs as well. RIIPRaker was great. The Paradise Valor was good.

...and as @vinylfiend1 mentioned, Cabana Hammock was a juice bomb. Very, very good.

[​IMG]

6. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (3,166) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Moonraker has quickly become one of my favorites. Amelia, Atomic Betty, Chain Shot, Hollow Bones, Low Viz, Straight Fire, Yojo...all top notch stuff. I’m glad they’ve made limited distro to Orange County.

7. riotontheroad

riotontheroad Devotee (442) Apr 7, 2010 California
    Trader

anyone know if Amelia is a one-off, or if its brewed year round?

8. atomicpunk5151

Trader

All of their beers are rotating. They don't do a year round or flagship beer. Yojo is probably the closest with it being brewed about every 2 months.

Looking back they have done Amelia about 4 times over the last year since it came out in April 2018. Dec 6, August 23, June 7, April 21. So every few months.....

Best bet for future release updates is here: https://www.moonrakerbrewing.com/can-releases

Or on their IG feed: https://www.instagram.com/moonrakerbrewing/?hl=en

Ma9573 and warrendietrich2001 like this.
  9. riotontheroad

riotontheroad Devotee (442) Apr 7, 2010 California
    Trader

thanks for the info!

atomicpunk5151 likes this.
  10. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (918) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

11. atomicpunk5151

Trader

@dcgunman

The RIIP guys were up here doing the collab in Auburn, Ca in early December. It looks like RIIPRaker is only here at Moonraker on tap as well as a few other Norcal accounts.

Cans did go out to distro here in Sac and San Jose, so you might see it down in SoCal.

I thought it was a great West Coast Double IPA. Clear beer!

Frosty11161 and dcgunman like this.
  12. dcgunman

Trader

Thx @atomicpunk5151

13. lucius10

lucius10 Savant (980) Aug 1, 2017 California
    Trader

Thank you @atomicpunk5151 for starting this thread! I am a long time lurker and this is my first forum post...I had to because Moonraker is by far my favorite brewery in the Greater Sacramento area! I have my own informal top 15 IPA list that I have had for a few years...Moonraker has slowly but surely taken it over! 6 of my top 15 are Moonraker beers!

Extremely impressed with Amelia, Dojo, Electric Lettuce, Cabana Hammock, Yojo, and Boruca Diablo!

Ma9573 and atomicpunk5151 like this.
  14. atomicpunk5151

Trader

I agree. Moonraker is one of my top locals for IPAs. West Coast and Hazy.

Chime in over on the Sacramento thread since it sounds like you are local. Have you been to New Glory lately? https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/sacramento-area-breweries-releases-2019.601136/

15. lucius10

Trader

New Glory?! Have I! :grin: Well, if you take a peek at my avatar, you will see what I think about them...they are my second favorite brewery behind Moonraker...as a matter of fact, 9 out of 10 of my top 15 are Moonraker and New Glory Beers! The only one that is still hanging on is Pliny the Elder...Haha!

I will check out the Sacramento Area thread! Thank you for sharing!

Ma9573 likes this.
  16. thetastywort

thetastywort Initiate (128) Jun 2, 2011 California
    Trader

Man, I guess I need to try this again. Maybe my palette was off that day. I did not get the barrel character you described. Just thought it was a nice BA Stout.

17. Hype_Train

Hype_Train Initiate (170) Feb 8, 2017 California

Well, I think Zima is the best beer in the world so that should tell you something.

thetastywort likes this.
  18. TheBrewsky

TheBrewsky Meyvn (1,322) Apr 23, 2017 California
    Trader

Very fruitful Friday haul. Considering I don’t see much Moonraker around here, or at least as often as I’d like, I was really pleased to be able to get these.
    [​IMG]
    Citra Double Crush, Hazy Rider, Y33, Papillon
    I’ve had 3 out of the 4 (haven’t had Hazy rider yet). This batch of Y33 was good- refreshing and light. Drank more like a pale ale but that isn’t a problem. Citra Double Crush was a straight pillowy juice-Bomb. Zero bitterness, just smooth and easy drinking. Papillon was fantastic. Great combo of juice with a hoppy presence. Both Citra Double and Papillon go down dangerously easy for 8.5 AbV. Moonraker is putting in some good work.

Ma9573, atomicpunk5151 and KevSal like this.
  19. dcgunman

Trader

Drinking a Citra Double right now. My first Moonraker. For my first Moon? I am impressed with this as my first time tasting Green Diamonds at Coopers in Manhattan before OH released cans. Yes before OH was known as Other Half on the craft beer map scene. Or my first Revision IPA’s and hazy’s. You are right @Hype_Train.

IQBlue, Ma9573 and Hype_Train like this.
  20. lucius10

Trader

Nice Haul! Yes, Moonraker is definitely putting in the work! I will be heading that way soon as Dojo, Electric Lettuce, and Extremis are on deck! Time to stock up!

TheBrewsky and atomicpunk5151 like this.
  21. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Savant (922) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

I'm starting to pick up Moonraker now that I've found spots in Martinez, Concord, and Alameda that carry them. Their hazies remind me a lot of Revision's. Hazy Rider and Y33 were good, but Yojo and Citra Double Crush were pretty great.

22. tynian16

tynian16 Initiate (164) Oct 23, 2015 New York

Does anyone know if there is a bottle shop near the Sheraton in Sacramento that reliably carries Moonraker cans to go?

Thanks!

23. dcgunman

Trader

What about that Citra Double...? So good.

24. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,262) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

You could try Pacific Market at 2500 P Street.

atomicpunk5151 and tynian16 like this.
  25. atomicpunk5151

Trader

@tynian16 I recommended this Market over in the Sacramento thread. It is not a bottle shop exactly, but one of the many local liquor stores that has converted to high end local brewery cans.

Here is their facebook to follow the latest releases. https://www.facebook.com/PacificMarket/

They had Moonraker come in on January 22nd.
    [​IMG]

Looks like they also have Moksa (Rocklin), Alvarado St and Revision right now which should be on your California list to try as well.

26. TheBrewsky

Trader

All three have been great! Just need to try Hazy Rider now! Dojo is one of my favorites by them, and Electric Lettuce is darn close. Both so good yet different. Haven't had Extremis. Enjoy!

lucius10 and atomicpunk5151 like this.
  27. TheBrewsky

Trader

Citra Double is delicious. A perfect low-bitterness juicy NEIPA. Damn near perfect mouthfeel as well.

BayAreaJoe and atomicpunk5151 like this.
  28. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (3,166) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Just crushed a Citra Double - smooth af. Now onto the Citra Mango Milkshake... the vanilla almost tastes spicy. This definitely is a speciality beer; it’s ok once, but I wouldn’t get it again.

Ma9573, BayAreaJoe and TheBrewsky like this.
  29. lucius10

Trader

[​IMG]

Wow...Papillon is so impressive...just tropical hoppy dank/goodness!!! There's a spice that is, like almost hidden but I can tell its there...LOL! Can't quite put my finger on what it is...Maybe it the hops they used, Strata, Citra, and Simcoe. I don't think I have had Strata before...maybe that is what I'm tasting...

Whats so impressive about this one is that it actually gets better as it warms up!

I have to thank two fellow hobbyists for letting me know about this beer: @TheBrewsky for that absolutely fantastic review you have for Papillon. Very descriptive and thorough...made me want to find it...and @atomicpunk5151 for mentioning in the Sacramento thread that Moonraker and other craft brews are available at some local markets...specifically La Riviera Market and Spirits...I went in there today and almost lost my mind. Haha!

Thanks guys!

#29 lucius10, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  30. tynian16

tynian16 Initiate (164) Oct 23, 2015 New York

Thanks for all the help!

31. atomicpunk5151

Trader

Was that you stalking the MOONRAKER Delivery Truck over at La Riviera Market yesterday??? lol...

[​IMG]

32. TheBrewsky

Trader

Awesome. Super glad you were able to try it. I (obviously) enjoyed it. haha Cheers!

lucius10 likes this.
  33. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Savant (922) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

I so very luckily ran into one last pack of Cabana Hammock at the liquor store - wow, just absolutely amazing taste and feel, I'd certainly say it's one of the best hazies I've had.

34. lucius10

Trader

LOL! Nice pic! Did that just happen...or were you stalking?! Haha! Man, if that happened to me, I would have lost it! I am a Moonraker fanboy...:stuck_out_tongue:

35. lucius10

Trader

Thanks! Well, whatever the case, I'm trying to be like you when I grow up! Haha! You and @TheSixthRing have such great reviews...the way you guys take the time to really get in the weeds and describe each note/characteristic of the beer...you can tell that you guys put a lot of time and effort into your reviews and take it seriously. For the common folk/newbies out here, we really appreciate it...

TheSixthRing and TheBrewsky like this.
  36. atomicpunk5151

Trader

I got to try Papillon DIPA last night. Also picked up some Citra Double Crush.

Possibly it is the addition of the Strata Hops with Papillon. Gave it a little kick. But then still the smooth finish, especially considering the abv at 8.5%. Very good beer.

[​IMG]

TheBrewsky and lucius10 like this.
  37. atomicpunk5151

Trader

Not my pic. From the Sacramento beer Enthusiast Facebook Group. They will post about any new recent local deliveries or good places. https://www.facebook.com/groups/sacbeerenthus/ Some of the convo is a bit much, but good crowd sourcing on different releases.

+++++

Also a new batch of DOJO cans just got released in Auburn yesterday. They said they may see distro on Friday.

.......and..... They are continuing with the trend of more Stouts. Bottle release today at the Brewery as well...

Chocolate Allure - Imperial stout in bottles
    1/31/19

Plus maybe the favorite beer for most of the locals on Friday for the Superbowl....
    Electric Lettuce
    2/1/19

lucius10 likes this.
  38. TheBrewsky

Trader

Thanks for the kind words! I do enjoy writing them, it helps me focus on what I’m drinking and just adds to the overall experience. Plus, it presents me from practically chugging the beers haha. I’m still a newbie as well though, it’s a learning experience and has become very enjoyable! Thanks again for the kind words, keep drinking good beer and just have fun my dude!

lucius10 likes this.
  39. atomicpunk5151

Trader

Per IG: $14 a bottle. 240 Cases.

BayAreaJoe and TheBrewsky like this.
  40. TheBrewsky

Trader

Looks luscious

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.