Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

More Brewing Co. (StB)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by joshdaut, Feb 23, 2017.

1. eifster82

eifster82 Crusader (734) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I really like the place and have really enjoyed all the beers so far (think I've had every PA/IPA/DIPA and all 3 Hennas)...

BUT....

Really need more (pun intended) beers availble at the tap room. Im not as concerned about canning or to-go at this point.

BeerPrince22 and beerbelly_mike like this.
  2. beerbelly_mike

beerbelly_mike Initiate (184) May 19, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

In all honesty the cans and bottles right now are for traders and flippers. Get your taproom to have an abundance of beer and do growlers or crowlers. Bring regular customers to your brewery. Don't worry about the people who are going to buy a 5oz our to check on untappd and then trade your cans for a "better" option.

3. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (381) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'd do away with any sort of to-go at the moment. Howlers and growlers eat up kegs real quick.

4. Chris_H_2

Chris_H_2 Disciple (370) Jan 3, 2013 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Well gee, that would kind of suck for those of us that actually drink the cans that we buy and that have limited time (read: kids) where we can't be at the tap room all the time getting crowlers and growlers filled (or that can't drink 32oz by ourselves in one sitting).

5. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Disciple (305) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

And for those people there are Binny's. :grin:

6. Chris_H_2

Chris_H_2 Disciple (370) Jan 3, 2013 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

to buy cans that more puts into distribution but refuses to sell from its taproom? color me confused.

Ferocious and Nachos4two like this.
  7. beerbelly_mike

Beer Trader

I think that was a way of saying there is other beer to drink. But don't quote me on that lol

JakeT469 and HouseofWortship like this.
  8. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Defender (640) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yeh, this is true - I have kids so I feel you - but they need to have their own beers on at their taproom before any type of to-go or distribution.

And it looks like they just put some MoRE beers on...

croush and beerbelly_mike like this.
  9. beerbelly_mike

Beer Trader

Two new beers on tap and crowler fills are back. Well, there you go lol

Nachos4two likes this.
  10. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Disciple (305) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yep, I was saying there are alternatives at Binny's.

In defense of cans, the only More beer I've had was a can given to me by a friend. In opposition to cans, I probably would have visited More by now if I hadn't been so unimpressed by the can he gave me....

beerbelly_mike likes this.
  11. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Aspirant (239) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Was hoping my crowler or DDH Chemical Connection would be like DDH Loose Candies where I loved the updated version much more than I liked the original. This one has left me a bit disappointed unfortunately. The spice of the rye and that DDH "harshness" that's typical (which I normally quite like) combines for a bite that I find to be a bit much. Maybe it'll mellow eventually?

kdawgmoney and GuyFawkes like this.
  12. lefty17

lefty17 Initiate (154) Mar 26, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I think you’re wrong. Stupid amount of flavor in this beer. I declare, massive cherries and tropical fruit.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  13. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Initiate (167) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Looks like a new porter is being released today... Falling Colors.

The variant sounds really good.

galos11 likes this.
  14. Hang_Over

Hang_Over Initiate (112) May 12, 2017 Illinois

The Hazelnut Falling Colors is delicious.

Nbrock24 and lefty17 like this.
  15. Nbrock24

Beer Trader

Are these overly thin as check-ins indicate or are people expecting a stout when it's a porter?

Ace99890 likes this.
  16. Chuckdiesel24

Beer Trader

I went last night, it's for sure a little on the thin side (yes, even for a porter) but not in a way that I'd bash it. It was actually kind of nice to have something that went down pretty easy but was a dark beer.

Agree with @Hang_Over - the variant was really good.

17. TigerDriver91

TigerDriver91 Initiate (151) Jan 17, 2017 Illinois

thought DDH Chemical Connection tasted very synthetic/syrupy, almost cough dropish. Wasn't a fan. Been sort of disappointed with the beers I've had from here so far, but have only had the IPAs/pales. I thought DDH Loose Candies was good, aroma was huge on it. Thought Popcorn was good and very dry but very one dimensional. Both were nothing mind blowing that I would go out of my way for especially living in the city.

jaysker95 likes this.
  18. kidzord

kidzord Zealot (501) May 7, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Had this after reading the reviews, and it was much better than people indicated. The hazelnut integrates perfectly with the coffee. I thought it was fantastic, and I'm typically not big on hazelnut.

lefty17 likes this.
  19. kgncfl

kgncfl Aspirant (257) Dec 24, 2013 Washington
    Beer Trader

The time you save by waiting in line can be reallocated to picking up Crowlers and Growlers.

The point about drinking all in one setting is legit.

But let's be honest, by engaging in this hobby we are sometimes prioritizing beer before our families. The trick we have is to balance it properly so that we can enjoy this hobby and put our families first most of the time.

Webbbeer likes this.
  20. Chuckdiesel24

Beer Trader

It's like they listened to you guys! They just added a Belgian IPA and have Sassy and the chai variant (which I thought was very good) back on tap. Currently 9 beers on tap, though a few are no crowlers which I assume means are getting low.

21. ISpendTooMuchOnBeer

ISpendTooMuchOnBeer Initiate (67) Oct 29, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Any word on the next stout release? Just got a sudden hankering to wake up, get in a line and start cracking whales by 7 am.

jaysker95, beerbelly_mike and BLA1R like this.
  22. Webbbeer

Webbbeer Initiate (124) Jun 17, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I've heard next month.

23. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Zealot (538) Nov 26, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Any word on ipa can release?

24. eifster82

eifster82 Crusader (734) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

25. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Champion (874) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois

Short stop in today and really liked Falling Colors, but didn't have time for the variants.

26. stevegoz

stevegoz Aspirant (252) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

StB is a master with adjuncts. You need to make time, brah!

GrumpyGas and JFresh21 like this.
  27. Nbrock24

Beer Trader

I saw Elmo (El Dorado and Motueka) came out yesterday. I could be wrong but it sure feels like securing the more desirable hops is a real struggle for now.

28. beerbelly_mike

Beer Trader

I think people just realized you don't need Citra/Galaxy/Mosaic to make a great NEIPA. It sure does help, but Motueka, El Dorado, and Idaho 7 have been amazing. For me at least. Maybe I am in the minority that it doesn't all have to be the major 3.

29. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Meyvn (1,197) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Cans?

30. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (381) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

A couple of months ago, I sent Chris at Transient a message on Facebook or Instagram wondering if flightless would be coming anytime soon. He responded that he would love to, as its one of his favorite hoppy beers he makes, but he can't get Nelson hops no matter how hard he tries.

He brewed a batch last week, which is awesome, but the struggle is definitely real for brewers going forward. I think Goose (along with in AB) was very forward thinking to invest in their own hop source, as IPAs are only going to take up more and more market share.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  31. Nbrock24

Beer Trader

1 crowler pp

I hear the argument about there being other hops out there. It is just preference but I prefer those other hops in combo with one of the more popular ones.

In any case, smaller places like Corridor and FR are figuring it out so hopefully More does too

GuyFawkes likes this.
  32. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (234) Dec 24, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Well another part of the problem is that NE IPAs are all the rage right now and take an insane amount of hops to brew compared to normal IPAs/DIPAs.

33. csmakio

csmakio Initiate (152) Nov 26, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

34. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Zealot (538) Nov 26, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Nice post, message me.

35. Nbrock24

Beer Trader

The previous release for Strong Hands (that didn't happen) was listed as having Mosaic and Idaho 7. This post makes it sound like there was a recipe tweak

DeadWax likes this.
  36. stevegoz

stevegoz Aspirant (252) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

They're targeting 1pm for today's can release

37. Hop-Trollop

Hop-Trollop Initiate (119) Apr 27, 2012 Illinois

I'll probably stop by tomorrow or Sat. sometime. If they have some left, great, if not I'll try whatever they have on tap and hopefully grab a couple crowlers.

38. dwduncan2

dwduncan2 Aspirant (265) Feb 8, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Noticed that More is on the brewery list for FOBAB this year. Any idea what they will be pouring? Do we know of anything they've put in barrels?

39. NNN

NNN Initiate (151) Feb 9, 2017 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I hope it lasts until the weekend. Def making a trip.

Nachos4two likes this.
  40. Jplachy

Jplachy Aspirant (272) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Its possible they used spirals or staves. So maybe, nothing?

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.