News More than 5 drinks a week could shorten lives by years, study finds

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Apr 13, 2018.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (248) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna865471

2. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (670) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Guess we are all doomed, doomed my boy doomed.

Enjoy

3. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (314) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

wait so this health forum I've been following on here is misleading me?! This is an outrage! is there a wine sipper advocate somewhere?

Daveshek28, jdell15, gopens44 and 8 others like this.
  4. babaracas

babaracas Poo-Bah (1,875) Jan 30, 2008 Florida

Well, maybe. But despite being in the Lancet and being essentially a meta review of large studies, there's no mention in the paper of controlling for literally, any other cardiovascular risk factor than diabetes, ya know, like obesity, genetics, diet. Basically it's a :poop: sandwich and yes, all research in this area is officially broken, as exemplified by the NIH squashing studies because the NIAAA head was taking kickbacks from the industry :scream:

5. BeerBobber

BeerBobber Zealot (519) Nov 23, 2015 Nevada

Get the shovel and start digging folks cause we're all a going down into that hole. And I'mma taking my beer with me!

swolepeer, jzlyo, johnyb and 8 others like this.
  6. beermeplz

beermeplz Disciple (338) Feb 13, 2015 California

from the Statistical Analysis section:

7. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,581) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Member Beer Trader

And if we drank less than 5 beers a week, would we enjoy those extra years.......

8. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Disciple (308) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

I was kind of banking on this, actually.

9. ThinBlueLine

ThinBlueLine Initiate (90) Aug 23, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I would much rather be happy in the present time than miserable towards the end........ just sayin'

troobie, Keztag, Snowcrash000 and 9 others like this.
  10. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,920) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

Wait a couple of days and there will be another medical study that will have us living longer again. Cheers :beers:

11. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,345) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

“The paper estimates a 40-year-old drinking four units a day above the guidelines has roughly two years lower life expectancy”

That sounds like a fair trade to me. Now where did I put my Breakfast Stout???

12. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (248) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Ha ha exactly.

bbtkd likes this.
  13. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,412) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Unless time machines are invented pretty soon this article is useless info for me.

14. BeerseAnyone

BeerseAnyone Initiate (25) Oct 5, 2017 Ohio

The cigarettes will kill me first anyway..

15. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Crusader (703) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

So we're going to rely on long term estimates and self reported data?

Sounds like a controlled and conclusive study to me. :rolling_eyes:

I'm with @babaracas on this one. If I drink a 12 pack per day for the next 10 years...sure I'll probably run into some issues. If I drink 6 beers per week...I bet odds are I'll be ok.

Common sense and moderation > studies reviewed on NBC News

66jzmstr, Lucular, 5thOhio and 5 others like this.
  16. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Meyvn (1,416) Aug 17, 2013 Germany
    Beer Trader

Looks like a pretty thorough study, although there are some pretty large error bars on some of the variables in figure 2. It looks like the tightest relationship is between increased alcohol consumption and probability of a stroke. I think this was known before. On the bright side, there is an inverse relationship between alcohol consumption and the risk of heart attack, even at the highest consumption levels. Conclusion: we will all die early, but definitely NOT of heart attacks! Yay!

17. Donco

Donco Devotee (494) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Now, WHY would you ruin a perfectly good weekend with this?! Oh well, what a way to go...drinking good beer:grin:

18. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Meyvn (1,416) Aug 17, 2013 Germany
    Beer Trader

One more point that I take issue with in this paper. According to the methods, they account for activity level by incorporating self-reported physical activity level (inactive vs moderately inactive vs moderately active vs active). First of all, these categories are never defined. Given that exercise is probably the most important factor that decreases the risks of everything listed in this paper, it would seem that those that regularly exercise (not just "active" - whatever that means) would have a large impact on this.

19. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (827) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Yeah . . . I'm down as well.

GreenBayBA and WesMantooth like this.
  20. meefmoff

meefmoff Disciple (351) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

You only get one life to live. Maybe I'm one of the people who could eek out a few more years or avoid colon cancer if I stopped drinking. Or maybe I'm one of the people who could guzzle liters of vodka and somehow live to be a 100.

I'll split the difference and continue doing something I enjoy in moderation (probably a little less moderate than a doctor might like admittedly) and accept the consequences. I've decided for myself that smoking has enough of an increase in ill health outcomes that it is something I avoid. Even the most pessimistic numbers on alcohol aren't nearly that severe, so I am comfortable with my decision.

GreenBayBA, 5thOhio, Boldbrew and 2 others like this.
  21. meefmoff

Beer Trader

Agree with your upshot but that's the purpose of these metastudies. By looking at such a huge pool of data you are hopefully minimizing those problems. The trouble with studying humans is that you can't just put a random sample of them in a cage for 5 years and force feed them your desired experimental conditions, so you make the best of data you can get.

We are complicated beasties with a pesky desire for informed consent :slight_smile:

beermeplz, AlcahueteJ and drtth like this.
  22. HeartofMiami

HeartofMiami Crusader (762) Sep 20, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

If it's my last two years...u can have them!

23. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Initiate (135) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin

Binge Drinking: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism

• NIAAA defines binge drinking as a pattern of drinking that brings blood alcohol concentration (BAC) levels to 0.08 g/dL. This typically occurs after 4 drinks for women and 5 drinks for men—in about 2 hours.36
    • The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), which conducts the annual National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), defines binge drinking as 5 or more alcoholic drinks for males or 4 or more alcoholic drinks for females on the same occasion (i.e., at the same time or within a couple of hours of each other) on at least 1 day in the past month.37
    Heavy Alcohol Use: SAMHSA defines heavy alcohol use as binge drinking on 5 or more days in the past month.
    First; the bad news: You need math skills for this.

Now; the good news: I lose any math skills after drinking.

Problem solved.

24. brewaddict

brewaddict Disciple (319) Nov 25, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Now I'm sad and depressed... Ugh! I need a beer. Oh wait?!? Ugh!

25. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,253) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I laugh with all these studies. This year it will kill you, next year its great for you. Honestly, I have tuned out 99.9% of anything I hear because it's now become hype media.
    :stuck_out_tongue:

Dan_K, 5thOhio and THANAT0PSIS like this.
  26. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Initiate (135) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin

Health Benefits of Moderate Alcohol Consumption:
    • Moderate alcohol consumption, according to the 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, is up to 1 drink per day for women and up to 2 drinks per day for men.33
    • Moderate alcohol consumption may have beneficial effects on health. These include decreased risk for heart disease and mortality due to heart disease, decreased risk of ischemic stroke (in which the arteries to the brain become narrowed or blocked, resulting in reduced blood flow), and decreased risk of diabetes.
    • In most Western countries where chronic diseases such as coronary heart disease (CHD), cancer, stroke, and diabetes are the primary causes of death, results from large epidemiological studies consistently show that alcohol reduces mortality, especially among middle-aged and older men and women—an association that is likely due to the protective effects of moderate alcohol consumption on CHD, diabetes, and ischemic stroke.
    • From: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism www.niaaa.nih.gov
    All right then!
    Beer here!!

GreenBayBA, 5thOhio, cavedave and 3 others like this.
  27. AlcahueteJ

I don't disagree, but that's why these articles are misleading, and are simply click bait.

Splash these eye catching headlines, "More than 5 drinks a week could shorten lives by years, study finds" to attract readers to your site.

Some people will read the title, and take it as an absolute.

Next they're going to tell me the Earth isn't flat...

28. AZBeerDude72

OMG the earth is not flat? Holy Sh** :stuck_out_tongue:
    LOL cheers......

Daveshek28 and russpowell like this.
  29. AlcahueteJ

Wait, what?!

No no, it's flat. I did some self reporting of my own and asked some random people on the street. 6 out of 10 of them said the Earth is flat.

Makes sense to me, I mean, have YOU been up in a space ship and observed the Earth as being round?

All I know is when I look down the street, it sure looks flat to me.

30. Curry

Curry Initiate (132) Apr 10, 2003 Montana

OK, I probably drank too many for too long a period of time, but, why in the world would I give up something I derived a certain amount of pleasure from, just so I can spend the two or more years benefit decorating some over priced rest home somewhere?

GreenBayBA, beergoot and Crusader like this.
  31. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Disciple (307) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

32. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Savant (935) May 14, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

We only get one body in this lifetime...

So we might as well run it into the ground. Really get your money's worth, ya know?

GreenBayBA, Tdizzle, 5thOhio and 3 others like this.
  33. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

No reason to leave a pretty corpse.

34. meefmoff

Beer Trader

Oh I couldn't agree with you more on how these studies are typically actually reported! But the people doing the studies are generally at least as annoyed by that as the rest of us.

AlcahueteJ, beermeplz and drtth like this.
  35. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (726) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Tell that to Clarence Worley.

On topic, I will echo two things thst have been said here:

1) While there may be an element of willful ignorance to my line of reasoning since I enjoy beer (and other alcohol), it seems to me that these sorts of food health/nutrition-based studies are constantly contradicting one another every other week. Coffee has swapped from good to bad to a miracle to a death sentence more times in my twenty-odd years than I can count. Pardon me if I don't take this new study too seriously (I won't speak to methodology since I do not have much in the way of a statistics background).

2) I don't really care if I could have lived to be 87 but instead die at 85, or 75 and 73, or whatever. More than likely I will not be in the best shape to fully enjoy life by the point of natural death anyway, so it seems a fair trade to me to lose a little bit of questionably happy and healthy longevity for enjoyment now.

5thOhio and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  36. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Probably the most important thing brought up in this thread was this:

37. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Aspirant (253) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

Uh, oh!! Well, at least my wife will probably be happy about this news.

38. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (131) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Most centurions abstain from alcohol and tobacco. They also live to see their children die.

GreenBayBA and SunDevilBeer like this.
  39. AZBeerDude72

Same here, I see no curve so it must be true, not to mention Facebook said it was flat. HAHAH, Cheers :beers:

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  40. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,702) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming

.gov>.com lol.