Morgantown, WV

Discussion in 'US - South' started by ajcuster89, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajcuster89

ajcuster89 (290) Apr 14, 2014 Vermont
    Trader

Hey guys, I'm heading to Morgantown for business next week for a 3-day stay. Where are the best breweries in the area, and a bottle shop or two? Thanks!

mjk91383 likes this.
  2. jmw

jmw (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Best breweries in that area are in Pennsylvania.

No seriously, there have been a few small locals pop up in the past 5 years or so that are definitely worth trying (Chestnut comes to mind). Go to a place called the Apothecary for a good tap selection (relatively speaking). For bottle shops I'm afraid your out of luck.

Lower your expectations and you might have a good time.

ajcuster89 likes this.
  3. ajcuster89

Trader

It is a college town, so there must be other things to do. Thanks!

4. SwillBilly

SwillBilly (0) Feb 4, 2004 Virginia

Best places to grab a good beer: Morgantown Brewing Co. Solid lineup of beers., Black Bear Burrito's-about 20 taps all pretty good. Iron Horse Saloon-almost all WV beers on tap, cool atmoshphere and the aforementioned Apothecary. All within walking distance from each other. Also, Chestnut Brew Works just opened their tap room. The Hallek Pale Ale is really tasty. Morgantown has come a long way in the last 5 years.

5. skaboom420

skaboom420 (0) Sep 21, 2012 Pennsylvania

Does any place in Morgantown have mix 6 packs? If not, what is the best place to buy singles?

Lonestar9 likes this.
  6. mattmenas

mattmenas (0) Jun 19, 2014 West Virginia

Go to Chestnut Brew Works (only open Thursday-Saturday). Best brewery in WV, Best Hoption, Halleck Pale Ale, Shakedown IPA are delicious. Iron Horse Tavern has a nice selection of WV beers and great food. Pies and Pints and Primanti Bros are nice spots too. Kroger in Suncrest Town Center has mix six but selection isn't great. No bottle shops worth mentioning. Apothecary downtown can be nice too.

skaboom420 and chefkevlar like this.
  7. rgordon

rgordon (695) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I really like Morgantown, but I do not know the current beer scene. It's in an odd neck of the world, but it's beautiful. The worst fear that I ever experienced was flying into Morgantown in December 1969 on Alleghany Airlines from Richmond for a basketball game. It was snowing and we couldn't see anything. Some how we were suddenly on the ground and on our way to the campus. I loved it most of all because it was terra firma, but later saw the real charm of the place. The Richmond freshmen beat the freshmen Mountaineers on their home court!

8. ajcuster89

Trader

My business trip here in May went great. I stayed at the clarion morgan, so everything was within walking distance! I was at the Apothecary every night, the staff got to know me pretty well! They had Narwhal 2014 and Bigfoot 2012 on tap, what a find. All the restaurants were fantastic as well.

9. skaboom420

skaboom420 (0) Sep 21, 2012 Pennsylvania

The chestnut halleck pale ale is easily the best beer I've been able to try. Morgantown brewing is complete garbage, those who live here I'm sure are well aware. Not sure if I'm gonna have time for apothecary unfortunately.

10. WV_Homebrewer

WV_Homebrewer (0) Dec 22, 2013 West Virginia

Since the craft beer laws recently changed for the better everything is up in the air about places selling mixed sixers and growlers and such. The best thing to do is visit the aforementioned places and ask.

11. WV_Homebrewer

WV_Homebrewer (0) Dec 22, 2013 West Virginia

Yes Halleck is one of the locals' favorites and I like to enjoy it after a hot day at the ball game.

12. ajcuster89

Trader

Morgantown brewing is pretty bad. Didn't enjoy any beers.

13. JWQ

JWQ (0) Apr 1, 2014 Pennsylvania

Too bad Jay's Getaway is closed. That was a great bar for something other than natty light

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.