Most memorable drain-pour of 2017

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dan411, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

Let me first state that while new(ish) to the boards, I'm aware drain-pours have been covered before, but with everyone talking about their best of beers of 2017, let's hear about the ones that didn't make it to the bottom of the glass. For me, it would be Southern Tier's Creme Brulee imperial milk stout. A fantastic nose, but my lord, that sweetness...

2. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,523) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

A 2016 Abyss that had developed several, shall we say, undesirable characteristics... I was looking forward to that one too. Ive had Abyss before and always enjoyed it... I actually have another bottle of the same vintage and I'm hoping I had an off one

3. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

cheeseheadinMinneapolis Zealot (535) Sep 20, 2017 Wisconsin

Odd Side Ales Peanut Butter Cup Stout bottle batch 12/5/17

4. jmasher85

jmasher85 Zealot (574) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland

Stone Crime 2013 that I'd bought by accident and was cellaring to see if it would get drinkable. It didn't, so I poured it in a crock put with a whole chicken and veggies and it was a delight. So sorry, not a drain pour, but still...

5. patoriqq

patoriqq Initiate (50) Jun 13, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Most memorable drain pour was my wife pouring out my last swallow of KBBS Christmas Eve. I screamed, she cried, I cried. Perhaps not the kind of drain pour you were asking about but memorable for sure.

6. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,108) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Thanks to the review section of this site I have not drain poured a beer in longer than I remember.

7. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Yeah, it's only a few ounces of beer. It would have to taste like Drano before I would pour it down the drain.

8. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (4,549) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Beat me to it. I spend an inordinate time here perusing beers to ensure I don’t need to initiate the drain pour protocol.

9. Lahey

Lahey Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

3/4 of a bottle of dark horse's scotty karate... but only because I was too drunk to finish it :stuck_out_tongue:

10. ovaltine

Society Trader

Tiberian Inquisitor tasted (to me) what Drano would taste like.

If the Drano was dumped into a 5-gallon pail of nail polish remover.

I love Three Floyd’s, but that beer didn’t work for me on any level.

11. Duhast500

Duhast500 Meyvn (1,424) Nov 14, 2007 Rhode Island

12. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

A guy that I peripherally know who is thinking about opening a brewery here locally gave me two bottles of an Oud Bruin that he aged in a barrel that was initially mine. Opened it with two friends the Friday before Christmas, and down the drain it went. Horrible, horrible ethyl acetate/nail polish remover bomb. None of us made it past a couple sips. I even let it warm up a bit to see if the character would dissipate. No dice. One of the guys I was with was all upset because he'd never poured an entire bottle down the drain. I said, "You can drink the rest of the 750, if you like". He quickly said "No thanks."

13. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Had a tough time with that one myself but didn't pour it out. After some thought I blended it with a quart of Miller High Life which my Bud Light drinking neighbor liked so much she asked me to whip up another batch.

14. ovaltine

Society Trader

I didn’t make it through 6 ozs. It literally tasted like nail polish remover. I let it warm for a half hour, thinking the same thing you did.

Not in the slightest. Still nail polish remover. Dumped the bomber (and what was left in my glass). I was incredulous, because I love Floyd’s, but I couldn’t drink that beer.

15. smbslt

smbslt Meyvn (1,006) Dec 26, 2010 Illinois
    Society Trader

Dumped a SN Celebration ale a couple of days ago. Others in the six pack were fine but this one you could tell be the abnormal head that something was not right. After a couple of sips to confirm down it went.

deleted_user_1111368 likes this.
  16. Dan411

KentT likes this.
  17. Dan411

I just had that last week! Found an odd bottle of it in a Hy Vee grocery store. It was awesome! Sorry your bottle was off.

18. stevoj

stevoj Poo-Bah (11,821) Nov 22, 2011 Idaho
    Society

Not a drain pour, but the sample was small. Beerlao Dark...cheap cola and wallpaper paste

TonyLema1 and hoptheology like this.
  19. Dan411

Resourceful! I luckily only purchased a 12 ounce bottle. Between my wife and I, we only poured out half a bottle.

deleted_user_1111368 and Squire like this.
  20. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,173) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

That will be blasphemy for Tree House fans, but couldn't get through a can of Green.

Leebo, Raj, eldoctorador and 3 others like this.
  21. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (13,977) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

That is extremely odd. I'm racking my brains to come up with some scenario where just one bottle out of a six-pack could be so off that it stood out from all of the others. From a packaging standpoint I can't come up with anything. I'd imagine that it had to have been an odd bottle (maybe old, but the year is on the label) thrown into the six-pack at the retailer.

22. Sirnickatnite

Sirnickatnite Aspirant (223) May 20, 2017 Texas
    Trader

Yesss the reviews on BA have saved me many times from going out on a limb and trying something that I'll end up being pissed that I bought. But I was aging a Lizard of Koz thinking it would be a nice beer since I love KBS/CBS .. I drank probably 8oz of it before pouring that bad boy out for the dead homies .. It was soooo sweet, like drinking blueberry muffin syrup. If it was a bit more dry it would've worked, but at current state it's a drain pour.

23. citizencane

citizencane Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2015 Pennsylvania

I got a badly canned Paceline Session IPA by Rubber Soul. Looked like rusty mud. Tastes passable but substandard, but I’ve never seen a beer look like liquid rust before.

24. Dan411

Reviews from Beer Advocate did save me from trying that one, although there were some positive ones. I still see a lot of dusty Koz bottles sitting on the shelves at my local haunts. Being a Founders fan, it's sometimes hard to not give it a try.

25. EvenMoreJesus

Yeah . . . sounds like big time oxidation there.

26. Lonestar9

Lonestar9 Initiate (192) Apr 27, 2008 South Carolina
    Trader

I think it's called Welcome to the Jungle, and ET/Jackie O's collab. So supposedly 1 out of 4 was super hot. I only bought 2, and the one I tried was undrinkable. So hot, so hot, so hot, I could not drink it. I remember that one...lol.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  27. Lonestar9

Lonestar9 Initiate (192) Apr 27, 2008 South Carolina
    Trader

You are banished!!! LOL...actually that does sound odd, but we all have different tastes...

deleted_user_1111368 and jrnyc like this.
  28. hoptheology

hoptheology Poo-Bah (5,925) May 12, 2014 California
    Society Trader

Clown Shoes' Very Angry Beast. I just couldn't do it. Too much excrement/infection.

This year's Anchor Merry Christmas was also a memorable drain. Much worse than the last few years'.

29. hoptheology

hoptheology Poo-Bah (5,925) May 12, 2014 California
    Society Trader

I thought quite awhile about rolling the dice on one. I voted not to. I've had way too many Evil Twin stouts that were overly ashy/burnt/rubbery. Sounds like I made the right choice.

30. EvenMoreJesus

This one?

31. Acinonyx

Acinonyx Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2017 Michigan

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's gotten that taste from Evil Twin stouts. Their sour beers have always knocked my socks off though.
    My only drain pour this year has been Honey Blue Blue from Oddside. Not sure if I got a bad bottle or what, but it was baaad. Tasted downright medicinal.

hoptheology likes this.
  32. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (5,110) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Society

33. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,050) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Only two that come to mind are

2015 Harpoon winter ale...... I was thinking time would take this but no. It was like spiceagedon. I still have a bottle of Columbus winter even older that I'm standing on the same scenario. Maybe it will work out.

Victory Black cherry Forest cake stout ...I was given a bottle and it was not a beer I enjoyed. I got 1/2 way and could not keep going.

If I don't like a beer I will dump it. It's $ down the drain but if I have to struggle why bother. If I dump 4-5 a year so be it. If it's just a beer I don't love but it's palatable I will drink it. If it's a spice/sweet bomb I just can't see suffering.

Enjoy

34. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,960) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

In early 2017 I set out to try all beer styles, and I'm now stalled at 100 of 104. One of the ones I had was Slavutych Kvas Taras (aka Kbac Tapac), a Kvass style "beer". I found this at a local Russian grocery, and the owner said Russians don't consider it a beer as it is 1.2% ABV and kids drink it. It came in a 2 liter pop jug, was pretty much uncarbonated, didn't taste at all like a beer - more like an extremely sweet tea. I drank enough to review it, then dumped it. I don't drink tea, surely not 2 liters.

tobelerone, dcotom and Junior like this.
  35. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Someone gave me a Westbrook Key Lime Gose. Now, it’s well known in these parts that I don’t like goses/sours/wilds, but I try them all. This thing tasted like the RealLime juice that you get at the grocery store...so it had to go

36. Eamonn-Cummings3

Eamonn-Cummings3 Poo-Bah (1,990) Jan 23, 2014 New York
    Society

37. smbslt

smbslt Meyvn (1,006) Dec 26, 2010 Illinois
    Society Trader

Double checked and all are pretty sequential from October 4th bath but you did get me thinking and possibly the last pour I was less careful about the sediment so maybe that contributed.

38. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,354) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Yeah. My last one was Carlsberg Elephant, which I actually enjoyed in the 70s.

meefmoff and cavedave like this.
  39. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,354) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Probably can be attributed to the mood, food eaten earlier, etc.

Harrison8 and ManBearPat like this.
  40. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,108) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Haha Carlsberg Elephant!

I can't remember my last drain pour, but I hafta admit I got an anomaly can last year of beer from a well respected brewery in a BIF that was a diacetyl bomb. There were no reports of diacetyl for that beer here or anywhere, so likely reviews wouldn't have saved me. A lesser man might have drainpoured that, I guess.:grin:

Buck89, TongoRad and Bitterbill like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.