Most memorable drain-pour of 2017

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dan411, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deleted_user_971432

deleted_user_971432 Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2015
    Deactivated

I was gonna say that I don't recall drain pouring anything and then it came to me. This one is a doozy. The Grapefruit Radler wheat ale by Sprecher. This one came free to me and it tasted like when apple cider sits for a long time and has gone bad. It has that nasty, putrid apple alcohol taste and it was skunky as hell. Sprecher has some really good sodas, but beer is not there thing. I think it was left out in the sun to boot, so that made it even worse. Gross, had to pour it out because I couldn't drink another sip!!!

2. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,407) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Hitachino Nest XH (Sake Barrel aged): Brett through the roof.

Hill Farmstead's Dorothy: Insane Brett

Heady Topper: The last can of a 4-pack. Tasted as if it was super old with no hops at all, even though I had it less than 2 weeks later than the others.

Melvin Citradamus: Boozy and harsh. Couldn't drink it.

3. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Initiate (140) Apr 13, 2013 Texas

No drain pours here. Mom always taught me not to be wasteful.

Premo88 likes this.
  4. Realsambo

Realsambo Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2016 Texas

I poured out an oak aged Vito from Wallace brewing. They waxed the cap and numbered the bottles trying to make me buy it up. It worked, I bought two, and it's pretty gross. I stashed one for when the world ends and I have the last beer on earth.

5. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

No drain pours, anything close makes it into my chili and it seems to even out the beer.
    :stuck_out_tongue:

Premo88 likes this.
  6. Glider

Glider Aspirant (267) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts
    Trader

I don't drain pour beer either.

Someone brought some Sam Adams Porch Rocker to a party we threw. At first I didn't want to drink it, but it actually worked pretty well as a thirst quencher after mowing the lawn or whatever.

7. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,789) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Only been party to two drain pour experiences in all my years of craft, consider myself both fortunate and astute user of BA's knowledge base. Sadly 2017 saw my first personally purchased beer that resulted in a drain pour...2015 So Happens It's Tuesday, which was indeed infected and unfinishable SHIT.

8. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2016 Maine

Make this two votes for this drain pour. Horrid stuff.At the time I researched who brewed it. It's not worth the effort to Google again, but it was some place that manufactures,not brews, manufactures malt liquor with names like old crazy Dogg (with two G's) or something stupid like that. You know, .75 cents for a 40 ounce can.

#88 Troutbeerbum, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  9. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,425) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

The only two beers I recall drain pouring this year are Blue Dog Lager and Southern Tier Blueberry Tart. Both are almost identical tasting blueberry beers and both taste almost identically terrible. Syrupy sweet, artificial-tasting messes with an aftertaste like plastic.

10. ericwo

ericwo Initiate (77) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Evil Twin You're in the Jungle Baby! 2 sips then down the drain, just too hot. My fascination with peppers in beer is over, not sure why I ever thought that was a good idea!

11. Riff

Riff Champion (877) May 12, 2016 Virginia

Hardywood Rum Pumpkin.

Not sure what was up with the rum barrels that Hardywood got this year, but man were they ever hot. While their GBS stout can compete a little with the rum, their pumpkin just couldn't hold up. Tasted like sipping a glass of straight rum and while I could handle that for a little while, the thought of a 750ml bottle of straight rum flavor was not appealing in the least.

VABA and derftron like this.
  12. Mindsculptor

Mindsculptor Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2013 Texas

KBS. It's everything I dislike in a stout, amped up to 11. Thankfully it was a free sample, so not much was wasted.

13. derftron

derftron Devotee (442) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Breakside beachcomber.

Breakside makes phenomenal beer. This beer is not one of them.

a Rum BA strong belgian golden ale. it was on tap at a local spot (this beer was a small batch 1-off thankfully) and I noticed it was not moving. I asked the bartender whats up with this beer as its odd to see something from Breakside last more than a week. without saying anything he gave me a free 8oz pour and a smirk.

Holy sh*t ! I started laughing after my first sip. probably one of the worst beers i have had in many many years. tasted like somebody mixed 4 oz of crappy belgian beer and 4 oz of bottom shelf Rum in the same glass and served it. I had one more sip for science and then gave it back to the bartender.

Cibola likes this.
  14. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (176) Nov 10, 2015 New York

Founders frootwood

Realsambo likes this.
  15. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

I was eyeing that one last week. Thanks for the heads-up. Bomb! has peppers, and I think it works in that beer. It's a delicate balance I think.

ericwo likes this.
  16. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,058) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

I rarely rarely drain pour and don't see it as something to be proud of - that said (because it just happened) I DP'd a Vanilla Noir the other day - jesus christ it was a sweet boozy clashing mess

for the record i really like Prairie and really enjoyed a Bourbon Paradise just the day before

17. Mindsculptor

Mindsculptor Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2013 Texas

I really recommend sitting on Prairie stouts for six months past the bottle date. The flavors tend to meld and the booziness falls off.

jvgoor3786 and rozzom like this.
  18. cser

cser Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2015 Pennsylvania

My buddy's homebrewed IPA. Sorry bro.

19. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (333) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

My skunked Bourbon County on Christmas Eve still hurts...

20. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,435) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Flying Dog's Brewhouse Rarities Snake Oil Black Lager

The heat from the snake peppers was just unbearable. Why anyone would think this is good for a beverage I'm lost for words. Burnt back of my throat and I had to take Tums. That was off one decent sized gulp and a second sip then down the drain it went.

Premo88 likes this.
  21. KentT

KentT Aspirant (244) Oct 15, 2008 Tennessee

Truer words have never been said. Steel Reserve looks like heaven by comparison or the even worse Natty Daddy! Never has a beer been more aptly named than "Hell On High" or a grander drain pour ever devised by mankind. This beer is the Russian Biker Bitch of beer, enough fusel alcohol to pass for Rocket Fuel mixed with Drano. A beer is really bad, when trailer park beer looks like good IPA by comparison. +1000 likes for that post.

Premo88 likes this.
  22. craigbelly

craigbelly Poo-Bah (1,673) Dec 31, 2015 Iowa
    Society Trader

Someone handed me a bottle of Sam Adams White Christmas at a New Years party. What is that? Just an utter mess. Nothing about this beer works. No balance. Dumped it out in the bathroom so not to hurt feelings.

Premo88 likes this.
  23. GaToWyo

GaToWyo Aspirant (266) Feb 1, 2013 Colorado

Only one this past year was the 2017 Terrapin Richland Reserve, their Tiramisu-Hoo from a few years back aged for 22 months in rum barrels. It was disgustingly sweet with no redeeming characteristics imo. I normally don't drain pour beers but this beer was truly awful.

Premo88 likes this.
  24. Vivs85

Vivs85 Devotee (414) Nov 29, 2012 New York
    Trader

2017 French Vanilla Militia--- it's not rated highly (at least compared to its counterparts) but I don't even know how it's rated as high as it is... Absolutely awful

Boldbrew and Premo88 like this.
  25. billydrinksbeer

billydrinksbeer Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2017 Colorado

this beer was a big let down for me too, i finished it but it was tough, the peanut butter edition is delicious though!

As for me, I couldnt make it all the way through an IPA Kolata from Evil Twin. Nasty.

Realsambo and Premo88 like this.
  26. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,140) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

I made it through another drain pour-free year, but one notable beer proved a major disappointment:

Smithwick's Irish Red

Sure, it's not a whale or anything close, but I loved it when I first reviewed it in December 2015. When I revisited it this winter, it sucked ... tasted like it had high fructose corn syrup in it, like it was leaving a film of some generic artificial something in my mouth. Yuck!

27. paulys55

paulys55 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

Hubbard's Cave Coffee & Cakes...only drainpour of the whole year. This was a 750ml bottle that I was sharing with a friend and between the two of us we couldn't finish it. Brew a pot of the strongest coffee you have. Let it sit out for a week. Add a bottle of Hershey's chocolate syrup and a cup of sugar. Let it sit out another week. And there you have it, Coffee & Cakes:grimacing:

Frosty11161 and KentT like this.
  28. KentT

KentT Aspirant (244) Oct 15, 2008 Tennessee

Sounds like a drainpour, paulys55. Not what I think would make good beer.

paulys55 likes this.
  29. striker2160

striker2160 Disciple (347) May 5, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Central Waters Rye barrel porter. One sip and straight down the drain. Definitely infected.

30. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (169) Dec 25, 2015 New York

I wonder if that sat in a hot truck. Had it in November and it was good. Even reused the bottles.

Premo88 likes this.
  31. madtrixter787

madtrixter787 Zealot (518) Oct 15, 2009 North Carolina
    Society

Bad news, this years Rum GBS is just as bad. Like drinking Captain Morgans with some malt coloring added. Even let it warm up, hoping it would mellow a bit. It did not. Had it at the brewery and just left it on the table and got a Pils instead. Usually a fan of their barrel aging too, but this was a hot mess.

Riff likes this.
  32. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,140) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

It certainly could have. It also could've been very, very old (I don't remember its bottle codes/dates).

That film-like artificial flavor note is a mystery. Could be anything and that includes being "just me" ... palates can do funny things. I'm glad to hear you recently had some and enjoyed it. Maybe down the road I'll give another six-pack a whirl.

33. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,958) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Rinkuškiai Before-After. Lithuanian fusel bomb with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I didn't even bother to look for a drain, just poured it off the deck. If you guys who claim you never drainpour a beer can choke down a half liter of this swill, more power to ya.

34. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (363) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

Black butte XXIX. What a thin boozy mess. The beer was just about translucent, which is not at all what I want in an imperial porter. Since it was translucent it also had no real flavor, except an overwhelming rum barrel.

35. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,369) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Poured out a bottle of Boulevard's '15 Rye-on-Rye recently. Definitely felt bad pouring it down the drain, but my bottle of rye whiskey is smoother and less hot than that beer. Even their rye-on-rye-on-rye is smoother, and at a higher ABV.

They're re-releasing rye-on-rye this year. I'm tempted to pick one up, but I may just wait for it on tap.

Dan411 likes this.
  36. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Poo-Bah (1,832) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Society Trader

Big Bad Baptist, unfortunately. I love that beer. So it hurt :slight_frown: I don't recall which batch number it was.

37. Riff

Riff Champion (877) May 12, 2016 Virginia

Didn't have the time to get a pour at the brewery of the Rum GBS, and recalling how good it had been last year, I bought two bottles. Got through them, but like you said, Capt Morgans with malt coloring.

VABA and madtrixter787 like this.
  38. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Did an 18 yr vert of Sierra Nevada bigfoot starting with 1999, even that was ok, some soy and wet cardboard going on. Still used twist caps then. We got to the 1996, had some sinkies and floaties. Not a good sign. Everyone poured it into the dump bucket. But 1 out of 18 is still awesome.

Dan411 likes this.
  39. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (244) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

Duclaw Sweet Baby Jesus, what a weird beer. Tasted like a really sweet peanut butter cup, not a fan.

40. darktronica

darktronica Poo-Bah (2,947) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

FFF Rue d'Floyd was my most disappointing drain pour of the year. Having it on draft and from my first bottle was revelatory. The second bottle a month later had surprisingly more cherry than it did fresh, and the third bottle was a full-on tart cherry-and-yogurt mess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.