Most Popular Craft Beer of the 80's?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Sep 2, 2012.

1. shand

shand Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

I'd still bring the 8-Bit Pale Ale, I'm sure people would get a kick out of it, might get some people to pick up a craft brew who wouldn't normally.

2. canucklehead

canucklehead Mar 7, 2003 British Columbia (Canada)

Hornet2003 likes this.
  3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Beer Trader

Yeah, it was something special back then. I don't give 2 hoots to what anyone says to the contrary, it was a far superior beer to what it is now.

TongoRad likes this.
  4. tencents

tencents Nov 2, 2009 Maryland

Just took a look at my database at the American Beers I tried from 1985-1989. Not too many microbrews. Most are mentioned above including Sam Adams, Catamount (no longer available), Pete's (no longer available), Geary's, Anchor Steam.

5. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Jan 31, 2005 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Pete's (my buddy worked for him, and I got to drink with Pete on his corporate dime:D), Sieera Nevada (always loved the Porter, and later the Bigfoot), Anchor (Porter again), for a while Moosehead (hey, this was the late 80's), and Samuel Smith's (named one of my dogs Taddy, I guess Nut Brown was a bit long for a name).

6. Zimbo

Zimbo Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

I remember the buzz there was around Christian Moerlein. There seemed to be an aura of sophistication about it too and though it wasn't earth shattering it was a decent drink.

7. Longstaff

Longstaff May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

8. dennis3951

dennis3951 Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Christian Moerlein was a fine beer when i drank t back in the late 80's early 90's. There was imo a much better beer being brewed across the Ohio River. Oldenberg Brewery in Fort Mitchell KY brewed German Lagers as well as anyone does in the USA today. Sadly Oldenberg is GWTW.

9. celfan

celfan Jul 4, 2004 Vermont
    Beer Trader

10. Dray

Dray Apr 6, 2012 Pennsylvania

For some of us that was a time when you would be happy with anything a person with a valid ID would get you for your $8 you saved up by not buying school lunch for two weeks. Iron City (Pittsburgh) was the go to cause nobody knew any better.
    Not that I took part in underage drinking. I just heard that somewhere thats all.
    "Hey kid, get my bags, park my car and put on some weight!"

11. BeerIsland

BeerIsland Feb 9, 2003 Pennsylvania

Stoudt's was up and running in the 80's. Also visited Chesbay in 1985.

12. bobarc

bobarc Jul 23, 2005 North Carolina

13. herrburgess

herrburgess Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Love that picture, too. Takes me back for sure. As for "dry" beers, I'm reminded of the term every time I listen to Ween's "Buckingham Green," which includes the lyric "Why ask why?"

14. Skoallrebel

Skoallrebel Sep 6, 2012

i guess Heineken. Everyone back then thought that was the good shit.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe