Most popular style(s) in your cellar?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by JasonLovesBeer, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasonLovesBeer

    JasonLovesBeer Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

    Apologies if this has come up recently, I did a quick check of the first few pages and didn't see anything...

    So I'm curious what style of beer dominates your beer cellar - is it RIS', Barleywines, Lambics, Quads, something else? Maybe you're into ruining big IPA's? :wink:

    For me it's Imperial stouts and Gueuze making up let's say 75% of the cellar and the remaining 25% being barleywines and quads (ok Westy 12's). Well, that's at least my intention, the actual ratios might be off. I also bought too many Saisons and IPA's so they are in there too, as they don't all fit in their allocated area of the regular fridge.
  2. peterdeneyer

    peterdeneyer Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2013 Belgium

    Orval, straight from the monastery :slight_smile: It's hard to find in the shops, I can buy a lot of excellent beers in my neighborhood whenever I want, but Orval is always sold out :wink:
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  3. ThickNStout

    ThickNStout Poo-Bah (2,121) Mar 8, 2011 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

    Rough estimates here:
    Over 40% imperial stouts
    25% wheat wines
    15% barley wines
    10% quads
    10% mixed (old ales, scotch ales, huge DIPA "experiments", etc)
  4. GRG1313

    GRG1313 Poo-Bah (3,472) Jan 15, 2009 California
    Supporter Beer Trader

    I am very quickly ridding myself of stouts since I've discovered that I like them fresh, especially the barrel aged bottles. I personally find that aging them just doesn't make them better for me. I like the "bright" character of a fresher stout and I'm finding the old bottles from the cellar that I open (that I thought would be more refined, creamier, more well rounded, etc.) have just lost their richness and better flavor profiles - they taste like a used ashtray! (Yes, there are exceptions. Dark Lord, among some others, has aged nicely for a few years and Black Tuesday will likely age forever!)

    My cellar is likely getting to be around 60% or more gueuze/lambic with the remaining 40% being mixed saisons, wild ales and "collectible bottles" to show off with at tastings!!
    Bluecane and TheBeerTruck like this.
  5. errantnight

    errantnight Meyvn (1,084) Jul 7, 2005 Iowa
    Subscriber Beer Trader

    Quads/dubbels? Barleywines? And aged saisons... really? Which ones?

    Just as a quick edit... my basic gameplan is to clean out the stouts, reduce BA of all type to a select few and at quantity that can be consumed within 2-3 years of release and otherwise stock gueuzes/lambics, beatification, black tuesday, Rochefort 10, Pannepot/Pannepeut, Cuvee Van de Keizer, and a few assorted barleywines/old ales... and that's really about it. I've got a lot of drinking to get to.
  6. Treyliff

    Treyliff Poo-Bah (3,225) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Beer Trader

    Funny how that works, its one if the easiest beers to find in the states. But then there are probably shelf beers in your area that Americans would go crazy for.
  7. FUNKPhD

    FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

    I have mostly stouts and Belgium Strong's, and they get bigger from there. Since the weather's changing, they're really not something that I want to pulled out to sip, so it seems that they'll probably sit that for a bit.
  8. Agold

    Agold Defender (641) Mar 13, 2010 Pennsylvania

    My cellar is mostly lambic at this point. There are a handful of stouts and barleywines in there, but I am trying to switch to lambics. I have a problem.
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  9. adamant1912

    adamant1912 Disciple (371) Jan 10, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

    Mostly BA Imperial stouts (Bcbs/kbs/black note/etc), imperial stouts, some lambics/gueuze, and a bunch of random beers I am either experimenting with or don't want to drink the last of until the time is right.
  10. starkmarvelo

    starkmarvelo Disciple (370) Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

    Stouts & Sours
  11. Whatup14

    Whatup14 Champion (823) Apr 16, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

    Imperial Stout and barleywine.
  12. Gotti311

    Gotti311 Crusader (771) Mar 22, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

    I would say stouts rule at this point, but my cellar is fairly new. I would expect that in about 3 years the Barleywines/Old Ales will be the most predominant style. Those beers can sit around for many years, while most of the stouts probably peak out around 2-3, with some being even less.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

    Founded in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

    Learn More
  • Our Community

    Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

    Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

    Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.