Most popular style(s) in your cellar?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by JasonLovesBeer, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasonLovesBeer

JasonLovesBeer Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

Apologies if this has come up recently, I did a quick check of the first few pages and didn't see anything...

So I'm curious what style of beer dominates your beer cellar - is it RIS', Barleywines, Lambics, Quads, something else? Maybe you're into ruining big IPA's? ;)

For me it's Imperial stouts and Gueuze making up let's say 75% of the cellar and the remaining 25% being barleywines and quads (ok Westy 12's). Well, that's at least my intention, the actual ratios might be off. I also bought too many Saisons and IPA's so they are in there too, as they don't all fit in their allocated area of the regular fridge.

2. peterdeneyer

peterdeneyer Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2013 Belgium

Orval, straight from the monastery :) It's hard to find in the shops, I can buy a lot of excellent beers in my neighborhood whenever I want, but Orval is always sold out ;)

FUNKPhD likes this.
  3. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Poo-Bah (2,029) Mar 8, 2011 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Rough estimates here:
    Over 40% imperial stouts
    25% wheat wines
    15% barley wines
    10% quads
    10% mixed (old ales, scotch ales, huge DIPA "experiments", etc)

4. GRG1313

GRG1313 Poo-Bah (3,406) Jan 15, 2009 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I am very quickly ridding myself of stouts since I've discovered that I like them fresh, especially the barrel aged bottles. I personally find that aging them just doesn't make them better for me. I like the "bright" character of a fresher stout and I'm finding the old bottles from the cellar that I open (that I thought would be more refined, creamier, more well rounded, etc.) have just lost their richness and better flavor profiles - they taste like a used ashtray! (Yes, there are exceptions. Dark Lord, among some others, has aged nicely for a few years and Black Tuesday will likely age forever!)

My cellar is likely getting to be around 60% or more gueuze/lambic with the remaining 40% being mixed saisons, wild ales and "collectible bottles" to show off with at tastings!!

Bluecane and TheBeerTruck like this.
  5. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,043) Jul 7, 2005 Iowa
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Quads/dubbels? Barleywines? And aged saisons... really? Which ones?

Just as a quick edit... my basic gameplan is to clean out the stouts, reduce BA of all type to a select few and at quantity that can be consumed within 2-3 years of release and otherwise stock gueuzes/lambics, beatification, black tuesday, Rochefort 10, Pannepot/Pannepeut, Cuvee Van de Keizer, and a few assorted barleywines/old ales... and that's really about it. I've got a lot of drinking to get to.

6. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (2,889) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Beer Trader

Funny how that works, its one if the easiest beers to find in the states. But then there are probably shelf beers in your area that Americans would go crazy for.

7. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas

I have mostly stouts and Belgium Strong's, and they get bigger from there. Since the weather's changing, they're really not something that I want to pulled out to sip, so it seems that they'll probably sit that for a bit.

8. Agold

Agold Defender (641) Mar 13, 2010 Pennsylvania

My cellar is mostly lambic at this point. There are a handful of stouts and barleywines in there, but I am trying to switch to lambics. I have a problem.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  9. adamant1912

adamant1912 Disciple (371) Jan 10, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Mostly BA Imperial stouts (Bcbs/kbs/black note/etc), imperial stouts, some lambics/gueuze, and a bunch of random beers I am either experimenting with or don't want to drink the last of until the time is right.

10. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Disciple (370) Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

Stouts & Sours

11. Whatup14

Whatup14 Defender (676) Apr 16, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Imperial Stout and barleywine.

12. Gotti311

Gotti311 Crusader (766) Mar 22, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I would say stouts rule at this point, but my cellar is fairly new. I would expect that in about 3 years the Barleywines/Old Ales will be the most predominant style. Those beers can sit around for many years, while most of the stouts probably peak out around 2-3, with some being even less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe