Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Most recent beer to wildly exceed your expectations

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bismarksays, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corby112

corby112 Nov 19, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Lakefront Luther. I guess I shouldn't be that surprised because I'm a huge smoked beer fan but I enjoyed this beer way more than anticipated.

2. cjoc83

cjoc83 Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

GI Madame Rose. I figured I'd like it, but the only beers I've had from GI before that were Nut Brown and Big John (which was disappointing for me...not bad, but by no means mind-blowing). That shit really wowed me big time. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

3. LambicKing

LambicKing Apr 13, 2011 Germany

White Oak Jai Alai - went in with zero expectations since Jai Alai to me is good, but nothing to write home about. Then...BAM! Coconut to the face. Delicious.

Prior to that...BBPt5. Ridic.

4. frankb34

frankb34 Sep 10, 2009 Massachusetts

lagunitas Maximus. I've looked at it several times but alway decided on something else. Tried it this time and Damn.. had no idea how good it is!

TongoRad likes this.
  5. BetterBeerPlz

BetterBeerPlz Sep 8, 2007 Arkansas

Tall Grass 8 Bit APA & Prairie Hop

6. fernz18

fernz18 Feb 6, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Kopi Luwak Speedway Stout. I didn't expect it to be soooo much better than regular Speedway.

7. TongoRad

TongoRad Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I am fortunate to shop at a store with another customer who buys Maximus by the case, so they are constantly getting fresh deliveries. I gotta say- it's a great one to have in your regular rotation, especially if it hasn't been laying around.

8. AleShark

AleShark Jan 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Maine Beer Co.'s Lunch. Stopped me in my tracks. Amazing stuff!

9. csbinva

csbinva Jan 13, 2010 Virginia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Alewerks Bitter Valentine, loved it last year, this year, slaps you in the face and tells you to wake up and recognize!

10. Omer4176

Omer4176 Dec 24, 2011 California

Two recently:
    50/50 Eclipse Elijah Craig 12
    Had tried the Old Fitzgerald prior to this and was disappointed big time, but this one made up for it by a mile!

Red Seal Ale by North Coast Brewing Co
    Picked up a six pack for my co worker cause he wants to try new stuff. Took one as commission and will be buying these for myself from now on. Didn't expect it to be as hoppy as it was. Nice find!

11. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Jan 7, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Flying Dog Kujo Imperial Coffee Stout (2013 release). Maybe it was because I didn't have huge expectations for it, but holy crap it blew me away. Undeniably smooth, drinkable, sweet, the tiniest trace of alcohol. I could see some finding this brew TOO sweet, but I just downed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe