Most ridiculous thing you've done because you Respect Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by markgugs, Feb 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markgugs

markgugs Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

For example, I just got to my hotel in Reston, VA for a 2-night, 2-day business trip, and stopped in Baltimore on the way down to complete an IP trade w/ my good buddy (more Backyard Rye!), stopped again in Vienna, VA to visit Norm's (love that store) just to grab some nice local shelf beers. Made sure to buy a couple cold 6ers (and bring a couple cold singles w/ me) so I could enjoy them while I worked tonight.

Checked in, got to my hotel room, and lo & behold, the "refreshment center" refrigerator had been turned into a non-cooling storage box. But wait! There was a note saying they had a limited supply of refrigerators available should you need one. So I thought to myself, I have 10 cold beers. I'm here for 2 nights. I qualify as needing one!

Ta-da! :rolling_eyes:

[​IMG]

I also muled my Weyerbacher tulip down. I'm not sure if I should be embarrassed or not. :flushed:

[​IMG]

Please make me - and the rest of BA - feel better by sharing stupid stuff you've done.

2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,012) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I've shipped beer illegally across state lines to complete strangers...

3. mverity

mverity Defender (669) Oct 6, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Closest story I've got is when I went out to CA for a wedding this past September. I brought along as few clothes as possible to allow as much weight for beer as possible. I took CCB, Straight to Ale, Good People, and Westbrook with me out there to share with the bartenders at the breweries. I came back with Bruery, Russian River, Firestone Walker and Lost Abbey offerings. I am very glad I was able to make some quick friends with the bartenders when I walk in with some great southeast beers they couldn't get easily. I ended up being over weight in my suitcase and had to ship myself beer...

4. gshak

gshak Zealot (506) Feb 20, 2011 Texas

You wins!

sulldaddy, MrDave and creepinjeeper like this.
  5. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Probably spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on beer

6. inchrisin

inchrisin Defender (654) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

Show me some love! :slight_smile:

BrentLinkin and SFACRKnight like this.
  7. Huhzubendah

Huhzubendah Poo-Bah (4,659) Oct 29, 2007 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

I don't even know where to begin...

8. Squiggy

Squiggy Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2013 Michigan

At 4 Elf this year i waited in line for 4 hours while mother nature shat on me with snow in 5 degree F temperatures.
    All in the name of beer.

Fargrow, BeerBread, dcs1548 and 9 others like this.
  9. tulpenhiney

tulpenhiney Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2013 Colorado

Finished almost every beer ever. Including the pong fodder and terrible ones.

I think I've only had to pour out maybe 4. One of those had a cigarette ashed into it, the rest were because I had already drank waaaay to much.

10. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Zealot (551) Aug 25, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

ive driven absurd distances and time for beers i never even tried up until that point....made myself feel better by saying i like the scenery

BeerBread, ubenumber2 and alexk307 like this.
  11. TimoP

TimoP Devotee (453) Oct 19, 2011 Pennsylvania

I often buckle up my beer on the way home from the store, especially if it's a 6 pack or bombers. I wasn't even sure if I should write this, because I figure everyone does it.

12. markgugs

Beer Trader

I ALWAYS do this. with growlers.

13. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (1,788) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I have 2 little ones. The car seats are awesome for transporting beer.

14. TimoP

TimoP Devotee (453) Oct 19, 2011 Pennsylvania

Yes, growlers every time. Although, I don't get them very often.

15. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (394) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I homebrew.
    Come on, think about it for a second: it takes forever to brew, plus bottling. a month to 6 weeks till drinking.
    the amount of money spent on equipment, ingredients and time. possibilities of infection, bad batches and mopping the ceiling.
    Pros: the satisfaction of saying, "yup, I brewed this one. Yep, at home."

Boblemo, finsfan, Mongrel and 20 others like this.
  16. Tut

Tut Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2004 New York

I don't "respect beer". I enjoy it and drink a lot of it, simple as that. I've always thought that phrase was really dumb.

matt2591, pjeagles, JohnnyMc and 10 others like this.
  17. markgugs

Beer Trader

congratulations!

18. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (267) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Its not dumb. Lets say you dont like IPAs but drink one and say it sucks even though it might be a very good and well made IPA. Thats not respecting beer by saying a good beer sucks just because you dont prefer the style.

19. rodlavers

rodlavers Defender (601) Jun 20, 2012 Maryland

last year i drove to kalamazoo for hopslam (and found black note when i got there). ~6 hours there and ~7.5 back in a snow storm.

BeerBread, dcs1548, alexk307 and 4 others like this.
  20. trumpetego

trumpetego Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2006 Pennsylvania

Kate the Great Day, 2012. It was a very good beer, but I spent about four hours waiting in 20 degree weather to get it. Couldn't feel my hands or feet by the time I made it indoors.

21. shadowofthereaper_666

shadowofthereaper_666 Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2012 New Mexico

For me going out of state to find beer

creepinjeeper likes this.
  22. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,408) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Even more ridiculous (not to mention extremely trusting), I've consumed entire bottles of homebrew that complete strangers shipped illegally across state lines to me.

23. Shamb

Shamb Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2014 California

I spent roughly $600 on a recent trip to portland on beer I can't get in CA, Needless to say my wife isnt impressed but it was totally worth it. I've also got naked for beer back when I was a young buck at a party. ...never lived that one down.

Johnny_Muir and pixieskid like this.
  24. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Disciple (383) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I'm going to Boston next month because Toppling Goliath and some other people you may have heard of are going to be there... this will be my first big beerventure.

25. markgugs

Beer Trader

back on topic...I convinced my wife that spending our 2nd anniversary in northern VT was a great idea. check back after she stands on line w/ me at Hill Farm, and drives all over the state to buy Heady & Lawson's!

26. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,012) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I love trading homebrews. Sometimes you get crap, but sometimes there are some real gems out there.

aclara, VonZipper and Thickfreakness like this.
  27. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2010 New York

I once gave a homeless guy that I used to buy breakfast/lunch/smokes for all the time, a 12pk of PBR and a bottle of BCBS as I was walking out of a local beer shop with my weekend goodies. I saw him a few days later and he asked if I'd buy him some more of that beer. I came walking out with a 12pk of PBR and handed it to him figuring he'd thank me and I'd leave satisfied that I did good for someone else that day... he pushed it back at me and said " Nah man... not that shit! Gimme some of that "BLACK SHIT" you gave me. Go gimme a 12'r of that shit!" LOL! I almost shit myself that even he knew what the good stuff was! I told him that that "Black Shit" was almost $20 for a 4-pk, he mumbled something about me being a cheap Mother Fucker, grabbed the PBR from me and staggered off. I sat stunned and shocked as some guy outside having a smoke started laughing hysterically. I told him what was up, and he told me more about the guy (was once filthy rich but came back from Vietnam and got fucked out of stuff by his family).

I saw him again a few weeks later as he was pushing his shopping cart, handed him a 4pk of 2008 GI BCBS, a pack of Marlboro menthol and a box of donuts. He hugged me and told me he was gonna buy me lunch. We went to a Deli near by. He turned in his cans and insisted that he buy me whatever I wanted. I ordered a Turkey Hero and he ordered nothing. The guy behind the counter came out, took the cans, winked at me and handed me the sandwich. We walked outside and sat on the steps of the deli. He pulled two bottles of BCBS out of his cart, opened them and handed me one. I unrolled the sandwich and passed him half. He said thank you without ever saying a word. We shared the last bit of sunshine, the sandwich, and a "Black Shit" beer together as brothers, friends, humans...
    I never saw him again after that. I'd always liked to think that maybe he got it together and made life happen for himself again... I have no idea tho... I gave him good beer... he gave me a memory and a name I'll never forget.

Miss you Donnie J

28. ESCO138

ESCO138 Aspirant (232) Dec 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

18 hour round trip drive to Russian River. Once inside it felt like I graduated college again, felt very accomplished.

29. blivingston1985

blivingston1985 Disciple (326) Jan 7, 2010 North Carolina

That's a fucking great story, dude.

30. Xtent

Xtent Aspirant (221) Jan 16, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I travel to stadiums during the baseball season for work and always map out bars and shops to hit.

Thickfreakness likes this.
  31. ToadCode

ToadCode Initiate (143) Aug 22, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

The amount of money i'm about to drop and time i'm going to spend traversing the sf bay area during sf beer week is staggering; I really don't like to think about it. And don't even get me started on the Pliny the Younger chase...

32. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 Missouri

I respected a beer so much that I drank it past it's prime.

smellandsip37 likes this.
  33. weeble8604

weeble8604 Initiate (144) Jan 8, 2013 Kentucky

damn dude you almost made me shed a tear.

no but seriously great story. u should develop that into a novel or short story or something.

sidenote: i wonder how bcbs tastes straight out of the bottle?

34. Eamonn-Cummings3

Eamonn-Cummings3 Meyvn (1,018) Jan 23, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Every weekend I find myself driving driving to new breweries.

Drove four hours to Captain Lawrence once to find it was closed, so I just continued up route 9 to Peekskill.
    Visited Captain Lawrence the next weekend.

Thickfreakness and Christopper like this.
  35. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Poo-Bah (1,623) Sep 1, 2008 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

One time I joined a website where people talk about nothing but beer. They even posted pictures of it for others to look at. Sometimes I just look back at those days and chuckle. Haha.

36. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (178) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Well, I don't think it's ridiculous, but I travel to Belgium just to drink the beer.

37. JamesShoemaker

JamesShoemaker Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Definitely.

38. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Meyvn (1,023) Jan 26, 2013 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I often cross an international border in search of craft beer. I am polite and truthful with the border guards and always offer to pay all taxes and duties. My cache of beer is nicely snuggled in the trunk of my car with blankets and towels surrounding it as I am worried about the bumps and such along the highways on these epic voyages.

Okay...it is just the Ontario/New York border or Quebec/Vermont border, but it still counts right?

39. JamesShoemaker

JamesShoemaker Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I like the ON/NY borders, never had a problem, never waiting too long.

40. pixieskid

pixieskid Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2009 Germany

I used to have that mentality; then I started working in the beer industry. It's just impossible to finish all the beers you are presented with one way or another and I'd rather dump out a mediocre sample and drink something better than waste time/calories/ability to drink enjoyable beer because I'm worried about pouring it out...

dedbeer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.