Most ridiculous thing you've done because you Respect Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by markgugs, Feb 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightnerLiquorKS

LightnerLiquorKS Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2013 Kansas

After a customer mentions that he/she wishes that she could have "x" brew again (usually bombers) because it is no longer in stock (different season)...etc (Bourbon Barrel Quad 2011 and Chocolate Yeti ring a bell). I go home and retrieve the last ones out of my personal cellar and sell them to him/her. I much rather as a retailer, have my customers happy than enjoy the beer myself. I have access to so much, can order for myself if I want...I can't and WILL never say no to a person who REALLY wants that rare/out of production beer.

2. Mouserat

Mouserat Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2013 California

This is a little weird to admit, but I will do it anyway. I have a pretty big beard and I like like to keep my mustache hairs long above my lip (I just comb/move them aside) but when I drink beer it gets on my mustache, so i wipe it dry and it gets a little sticky especially when I am drinking throughout the night. I often lift the hairs to my nose and just smell the beer.

3. LightnerLiquorKS

LightnerLiquorKS Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2013 Kansas

Thats absolutely a FABULOUS story.

4. whalewatchin

whalewatchin Initiate (104) Sep 1, 2013 California

5. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (5,527) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire
    Society

I keep forgetting to bring my own glassware when I stay at a hotel. I usually use whatever glass or plastic cup they have in the room when I buy local beer.

6. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (5,527) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire
    Society

I sometimes book flights with airport holdovers when I fly so I can go to the bar and check out whatever local beers they have as I wait in the airport. Of course the downside is that the flights have to be on time and there have been instances when my luggage didn't get to where I was going until the next day.

utopiajane and dar482 like this.
  7. aclara

aclara Initiate (104) Mar 16, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I like the black label, more than previous labels, that I find myself drinking out of the bottle. It happens every year so far.....
    Cheers! To Donnie J

8. dnoahg

dnoahg Initiate (121) Oct 28, 2012 Massachusetts

In 2001, girlfriend and I got a cheap flight to Manchester, England. So we planned a vacation driving around northern Wales, and England for a week just to drink cask conditioned ale. We looked-up events that local CAMRA groups were holding. We drove around a countryside we'd never been in (and of course, on the "other" side of the road) stopping in local pubs at the appropriate times (like, whenever we were thirsty). Stopped into local liquor stores to check out the stock (the most expensive beer on the shelf? Bud!). We went to a weekend CAMRA beer festival (got our names in the local paper's story on the event). I'm proud to say that the only liquids that passed by our lips during the whole trip was water and cask conditioned ale.

For an anti-climax, I guess a business trip I took last year the day after Thanksgiving would do. I had to drive from my home near Boston to upstate New York. By upstate, I don't mean Yonkers. I had to go to the area north of the Adirondacks. It was a 6 hour drive. So to pass the time, when I got into the central Vermont area I started calling all the stores along the route that weren't too far off the interstate that I knew that sold Heady Topper. I called about 15 stores. I lucked out with just one, and scored a case. Turned out better than the business I was going for (at least so far. That may pan out eventually too).

9. jb123

jb123 Aspirant (251) Dec 3, 2012 Michigan

Was at a tapping of BB9K and the barrel blew in 14 mins . A guy behind me missed out on getting a pour. Got a sample taster from the waitress and filled it up for him....he was happy.

10. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Crusader (743) Oct 2, 2010 New York

I moved off of Long Island maybe about three or four months after that. I never saw him at 7-11 in the morning, walking past my guitar shop or at the beer store again. I'd like to think he was alright and maybe found himself or got in touch with some family or something.

FanofHefe, pixieskid and TongoRad like this.
  11. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Aspirant (293) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio

Tonight I was at my friend's house. I got him into the craft scene about six months ago. Well, tonight he was playing video games against one of our other friends and his wife looked down and saw him empty beer bottle and glass, so she said "Babe, I'm going to the kitchen real quick anyway. Do you need another beer?" He said yes and she picked up the bottle and the glass and started walking away before he stopped her, saying "Oh, babe. Can you rinse out the glass first, please?" Thought that was pretty epic.

hophugger, pixieskid and jb123 like this.
  12. SteveB24

SteveB24 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 New York

i was at a friends engagement party and the only beer they had was PBR and MGD, i didn't have my car and everyone else was already pretty tipsy, so i jogged 20 minutes back to my place, filled up a backpack with the twelve pack of sierra nevada celebration i had just bought, and jogged back to they party. because i wanted to drink but refuse to drink shitty beer

pixieskid likes this.
  13. tbaker397

tbaker397 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 West Virginia

After having a package arrive and not be delivered that day, it was about 0 degrees, i Drove 45 minutes one way to get beer that arrived at the fed ex facility on a saturday in the middle of a pretty epic storm here after being told I can't pick it up, the place is closed etc and still made it to work that day. That package contained my first pliny and heady. So freaking worth it.

hophugger and PA-Michigander like this.
  14. RyanGoodman

RyanGoodman Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2011 Bolivia

Am I the only one wondering if this was too good of a story to be true?

djl9701 likes this.
  15. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (374) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Dropped out of AA.

hophugger likes this.
  16. tommyguz

tommyguz Meyvn (1,013) May 14, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

No I get that, lived there my whole life (except being at school) until I graduated college in 07, I was just saying what everyone says when you say where you are from. It's always a struggle to get people to understand the difference in the two.

MikeWard likes this.
  17. Gunch43

Gunch43 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2010 Pennsylvania

I don't respect beer, I whore around with beer. A lot of it, all different kinds, rarely the same one twice unless it's REALLY good.

leprechaunandfatman likes this.
  18. ChristopherProvost

ChristopherProvost Initiate (111) Dec 24, 2013 New Hampshire

Both involved Trappist ales. The first was driving 2+ hours in a snowstorm to try to get some Westvleteren when they did their first American release. By the time I got there, the last 6 pack was sold 20 minutes before I arrived. The second was recently when Spencer Trappist Ale was released. Luckily, with the help of a beer geek friend at work, I was able to find it at a local package store and spent $100+ on the last case of it. I split it with the guy who did the calling around, so it only cost me $50, but that's the most I ever spent on 12 beers.

19. ChristopherProvost

Hasn't everyone gotten naked for beer?

hophugger and Shamb like this.
  20. ChristopherProvost

I'd love to see you at a tasting and find out you WERE actually Trey!

cosmicevan likes this.
  21. victory4me

victory4me Devotee (479) Oct 16, 2004 Pennsylvania

Part of me can't help but feel like standing in line for 4 hours just to get my hands on a beer is a complete disrespect to every amazing and world class beer you can find sitting on the shelf at your local bottle shop.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  22. markgugs

markgugs Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey

it'd only be disrespectful if you stood on line instead of buying "regular" shelf beers. I would assume you do both

pixieskid and ChristopherProvost like this.
  23. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (4,014) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society

I am currently sitting in a hotel room bathroom with my wife. I am drinking Einstok Icelandic Smoked Porter. She is drinking Crooked Stave Surette. We are drinking them from pint glasses borrowed from the hotel bar. We are in San Francisco on vacation, and as far as I know, neither beer is available in the Seattle area.

Our kids are sleeping in the non-bathroom portion of the room.

I regret nothing. Vacation, bitches!

hophugger, dar482, Leebo and 5 others like this.
  24. Dirty25

Dirty25 Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Germany

Aside from monthy trips to Brussels for beer hauls, and paying 70$ for international shipping to get some decent beer in trades...

I was back in the states (TX) for work. My friends from Arkansas were having a tasting so I took some time off rented a car and drove to NW Arkansas for the two day tasting event. Then I went to little rock to brew with my brewing friend. The rental and gas cost like $650, it was totally worth it.

25. pixieskid

pixieskid Crusader (787) Jun 4, 2009 Germany

Dude, where in Germany are you? I'm thinking of setting up an expat BA meetup in Germany, or at least try to get in touch with fellow German BA's. I'm in the Karlsruhe area...

26. Dirty25

Ramstein area

27. pixieskid

pixieskid Crusader (787) Jun 4, 2009 Germany

Close enough! You into the idea of a meetup?

28. Dirty25

29. amp138

amp138 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2011 Rhode Island

I keep an "emergency" tulip in my glove compartment at most times.

I am serious, and I am also 100% moronic.

30. SouthAtholSuds

SouthAtholSuds Initiate (147) Nov 3, 2008 Massachusetts

Bought a Liquor Store...... BRO!

TongoRad and Hop-Droppen-Roll like this.
  31. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (192) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

^^^ Where? I have homemade bacon and pulled pork in the freezer, just saying....

32. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (192) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

I always bring good beer and glasses to any party/ meeting. Had a mt bike meeting at my house, made everyone ( 22 people) use a glass.

33. Johnny_Muir

Johnny_Muir Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2014 New Jersey

Im picturing you as Ron Burgundy saying this.

Ilovelampandbeer likes this.
  34. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

haha i just pictured it and it actually fits

JMS1512 likes this.
  35. BurgeoningBrewhead

BurgeoningBrewhead Crusader (772) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

I travel with a tulip glass...and sometimes a pint glass too.

36. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

But you drank straight from the bottle you HEATHEN!

37. juliusseizure

juliusseizure Aspirant (280) Feb 11, 2009 New York

Made my pregnant wife stand in line at Tired hands for over 4 hours for beer. And unlike some assholes, my significant other (while pregnant) stood there the whole time (or sat, I brought a camp chair for her, I'm still half a gentleman).

hophugger and Phobicsquirrel like this.
  38. JSEg

JSEg Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2013 California

I waited over 8 hours for Pliny the Younger this past weekend at Russian River

hophugger likes this.
  39. MikeWard

MikeWard Poo-Bah (2,098) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

By coincidence, ten years later, this same group heads off to the Downtown Lounge in Lebanon this past Sunday. It's closed. This time, we have a better backup plan. The Samler Taphouse is on the next block.

40. BeerDazed

BeerDazed Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2014 Wisconsin

Help my wife build her own 6-packs at several of our craft beer temples. She's becoming more adventurous, and expanding her horizons. Probably one of the smartest things I've done actually.

hophugger and shnsajax like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.