1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Most underrated beer from a well-known brewery?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SteveB24, Mar 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abcramer

abcramer Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, a great beer usually taken for granted. Also, Lagunitas Maximus, a recent discovery of mine that I can't seem to get enough of. And Lagunitas Hop Stoopid is a favorite that I don't hear much about.

Plissken likes this.
  2. EConnOG

EConnOG Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2013 South Carolina

one claw, ipa no better year round lineup on the southeast. hop wise

Halluxone, thatoneguymike and ceeg like this.
  3. BKBassist

BKBassist Disciple (380) Jan 24, 2013 New York

The Irish Red from this series was stupid good. Never thought that'd be a style I'd really enjoy. Granted it had more in common with hoppy ambers (looking at you Nugget Nectar and Bell's Deb's Red) but it was super tasty.

SteveB24 likes this.
  4. cyrushire

cyrushire Defender (670) May 25, 2012 Florida

Skip out on the Double Decker English Porter. It was the least enjoyable of the bunch.

SteveB24 likes this.
  5. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 California

Stone Levitation and Firestone Pivo Pils!

Easily some of the most well made beers ive ever had. I feel like we forget that for that a beer to austounding, it doesn't necessarily have to be a massive IPA or barrel aged. Both of these beers consistently "wow" me when they grace my palate, provided they are fresh examples, that is.

DrStiffington and SteveB24 like this.
  6. TayCO802

TayCO802 Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Colorado

You have some weird friends. 61 is frickin awesome

HuskyHawk and sjjn like this.
  7. SteveB24

SteveB24 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 New York

Sounds very good, if they have any left when I go back I will definitely pick some up. Cheers

8. SteveB24

I dont think they had that one, but thanks for the heads up, cheers

cyrushire likes this.
  9. Svyturys30

Svyturys30 Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2014 Illinois

I think that FFF Permanent funeral is not mentioned as much as it should be rather than underrated for this site (because everyone clamors over themselves for their BA variants and DL (Rightfully so)). I hope it stays that way. Easily my favorite FFF beer up to date.

10. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (324) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Stone Arrogant Bastard, it's crazy complex and balanced when the beer is really broken down and sits on the shelves way too much.

11. SteveB24

i think pivo is amazing also,pilsners are often underrated in general i find.

flayedandskinned likes this.
  12. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,325) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'll second Maximus, I love it and for me it's way better than that overhyped Hop Stoopid.

13. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

I really loved Alaskan Oatmeal Stout.

14. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Initiate (186) Oct 29, 2011 New Jersey

I would say just about anything from Sam Adams falls under this category on here.

15. breadwinner

breadwinner Meyvn (1,216) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Trader

Russian River Redemption is perfectly balanced, refreshing, flavorful and <6.0%. Way overlooked relative to other RR stuff.

Firestone Walker Pale 31...I mean, why would you bother with a session IPA when you have this sitting on the shelf? Awesomely grassy hops -- a flavor profile not so common as the usual pine/citrus kick -- with a great biscuity malt balance.

And, because I think they're similar beers, Deschutes Jubelale and Full Sail's Wassail. Great winter warmers that don't go crazy with the spices -- just the right amount. Could probably drink those two all winter long and be happy.

16. boudeysbigbrew

boudeysbigbrew Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2014 California

Kasteel Donker is one fine brew that, although it get's a pretty solid 91, I have never seen mentioned. One of my favorite quads, and on a similar level as abt 12 for me.

Ristaccia, keithmurray and superspak like this.
  17. Lochnessmonster

Lochnessmonster Defender (617) Dec 4, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Gonna go with V-12 from Victory. I've never seen it mentioned here, yet it's one of the few American Quads that can actually stand up with the big boys from Belgium.

DrStiffington and superspak like this.
  18. yankeej13

yankeej13 Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Florida

Lagunitas Maximus Ipa...never gets a ton of hype but one badass beer.

TongoRad likes this.
  19. rustyeaton

rustyeaton Initiate (0) May 18, 2014 Arizona

Lagunitas, Lil' Sumptin' Sumptin' Ale

20. Mongrel

Mongrel Crusader (740) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

SN Summerfest. Been drinking the hell out of that stuff recently.

21. DJCHIBEATZ

DJCHIBEATZ Initiate (72) Nov 21, 2012 Illinois

Clown Shoes... Blaecorn Unidragon Russian Imperial Stout

22. Golferallen54

Golferallen54 Initiate (0) May 1, 2014 Colorado

Hercules Double IPA is an awesome beer that almost never gets mentioned on BA

bbowdoin likes this.
  23. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

Summit Horizon Red IPA simply rocks.

24. edwado

edwado Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2013 New Jersey

I totally agree with this post.It is almost as if you took the words out of my mouth.It is as though you we have forgotten about these great beers. Prima Pils was a watershed moment in my life 3 years ago.Even the cicerones make it out to be an essential beer to drink-Anything Great Lakes makes is going to be good .Laguinitis same thing.The beer that does not get enough love for me is Investigative Shutdown Ale.

25. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,068) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

Surly CynicAle is definitely overlooked by a lot of people. One could make a strong argument that it is their most well crafted year round beer.

sjjn likes this.
  26. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (202) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

Love Mermaid Red - glad to find out I'm not the only one

sjjn likes this.
  27. bcp5296d

bcp5296d Devotee (426) Aug 7, 2012 North Carolina

Olde Hickory Imperial Stout. Not underrated just doesn't get as much popularity as Event Horizon.

burgerpaw likes this.
  28. sjjn

sjjn Aspirant (253) Jun 4, 2004 New York

I'll throw Brooklyn Brown Ale into the mix...

29. nate-henry

nate-henry Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2014 Michigan

another vote for DFH sixty-one

jayrutgers likes this.
  30. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Aspirant (299) Nov 18, 2008 New York

31. norcalhophead

norcalhophead Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 Wisconsin

Bear Republic Red Rocket

breadwinner likes this.
  32. turbotype

turbotype Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 California

Underrated and not talked about are two different things I realized. I thought about some of the brews that I think are underrated. I go and look at the ratings, and find they are all 4+. Now, I don't usually see em' mentioned, but people do like them and are driniking them, just not talking about it very often. Interesting. :sunglasses:

WesMantooth likes this.
  33. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

I think posters should stop using underrated for these discussions and start saying more "beers that get lost in the shuffle." That's what I think of most of the beers mentioned here.

jcos and turbotype like this.
  34. staticpain

staticpain Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2014 Massachusetts

I'm not up with all the beer talk, but sumpin' by Lags is amazing.

rustyeaton likes this.
  35. MighHighBrewer

MighHighBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Colorado

Birra from Prairie

J_Dub likes this.
  36. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (363) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

Avery Dugana.

I think it should be up there in the top tier of IIPAs but nobody ever talks about it. I mean within Avery's own line-up, Maharaja gets way more love, and it's nice but not as good as Dugana, to me.

37. ThePaintedGrey

ThePaintedGrey Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2013 Pennsylvania

Yards Brawler and Dogfish Head Burton Baton. I rarely see love for either beer and they're both extremely good (Burton Baton being, perhaps, my favorite beer to date).

drh88, keithmurray and TongoRad like this.
  38. Beric

Beric Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2013 Massachusetts

I'm going to throw Upland Harvest Ale out there. I'm shocked it only has an 86 when it's an aggressively citra dry-hopped beer which tends to mean the ratings get pushed through the roof.

Now, as a quick caveat, I had this from the production brewery on tap weeks after they made it. It was sublime on tap- top 10 APA in my opinion. In the bottle, it's more like a top 30 APA. Unfortunately, at an 86, it is far away from the top 50 list.

39. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,325) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

No way, you can't beat Furious for the best year round beer produced by Surly. That IPA is masterful, so hoppy but so malty....just bursting with flavors.

40. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,280) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Nosferatu from Great Lakes. Nosferatu > Nugget Nectar....yeah...I said it....

jcos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.