Most Underrated Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RussBecker1, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zid

zid Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

2. Premo88

Premo88 Jun 6, 2010 Texas

Karbach ...

it's not been around long, so it's more of a very young than under-rated brewery. but there's something about Karbach that makes me think it's going to be a Texas sensation, passing Saint Arnold and others as our flagship craft brewery.
  3. mecummins

mecummins Nov 16, 2012 Illinois

Metropolitan out of Chicago. They are doing some really solid German style lagers. Between Pipeworks, Half Acre and Revolution, I kind of feel that they get treated like the red headed stepchild of the Chicago brewery scene.
    kal4478 and Frankinstiener like this.
  4. GodlessWatermelon

GodlessWatermelon Apr 12, 2012 Maryland

First two that came to mind are Weyerbacher and Heavy Seas. I may be a bit biased towards Heavy Seas being in Baltimore, but they make really solid beers and I think they have (of the breweries I have access to), the best barrel aging program in the US.
    Streaky likes this.
  5. Philly82785

Philly82785 Dec 17, 2008 Minnesota

sacrelicio likes this.
  6. robieobie1

robieobie1 Mar 2, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Pizza Boy.... Some good stuff going on there right now.
    tectactoe likes this.
  7. Titans77

Titans77 Jul 21, 2011 Maryland

8. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Oct 16, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Probably Odell, If they pulled back production on Mycenary IPA, Hyped it up, only distrubited to colorado, only gave local bars one or two kegs per would be #1 on BA
  9. ShipFaced17

ShipFaced17 Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts

Honestly, I have to go with Cambridge Brewing Co. I think they do some really interesting beers and every time I visit I always am surprised by something new and interesting on tap.
  10. jmwildwest

jmwildwest Mar 10, 2013 Florida

A friend turned me on to Mad River over the weekend. Definitely didn't disappoint.
    sacrelicio likes this.
  11. DarthGuitarHero

DarthGuitarHero Jan 15, 2011 Minnesota

12. VladTepes

VladTepes Oct 18, 2012 Finland

Haha I don't know are those so awful, but yeah, many do it better.
  13. tectactoe

tectactoe Mar 20, 2012 Michigan

14. Jamison85

Jamison85 Mar 23, 2013 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Schlafly is great and underrated. I go to their taproom every time I am in STL. Great food and beer. Schlafly Bottleworks is also definitely worth stopping by but I recommend the taproom.
  15. ufmj

ufmj Feb 15, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

High Point (Ramstein) Brewing Co. is one of the most underrated breweries in New Jersey, the Mid-Atlantic seaboard, and these United States of America. Just saying.
  16. Brew33

Brew33 Oct 24, 2007 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Telegraph Brewing
  17. Timceattle

Timceattle Nov 28, 2012 Washington

Do you have any idea where this place is...? Google maps doesnt know Quishnam.. haha. I'm in Seattle and want to make a trip!
  18. Big_V

Big_V Nov 30, 2012 Maryland
    Beer Trader

DC Brau, baby!
  19. Svendozen

Svendozen Dec 3, 2012 New Hampshire

Here's my thing with Sam Adams: they brew an "every man's" beer great. But their higher prices "craft beers" are, in my opinion, shit.
  20. MCDub

MCDub Dec 17, 2009 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Highland Brewing Company. Consistently put out well made products.. I think they don't get a lot of love because of their under 6% philosophy for packaged beers (yes they do occasionally bottle big beers but its a rarity). They also lack a true 'west coast IPA' that everyone loves.
    CarolinaKevin and Holsie like this.
  21. DHS1029

DHS1029 Feb 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'm going to go with New Belgium. I know its popular to not like them but I love most of their offerings.
    Mediczod likes this.
  22. Svendozen

Svendozen Dec 3, 2012 New Hampshire

I will say that I got a Crown Valley Brewing Gunslinger Double IPA in a beer club package last month and I thought to myself "why have I never hears about this before." I love Stones Ruination and I thought gunslinger was better.
  23. beerfinder

beerfinder Jan 17, 2008 Pennsylvania

I beleive Six Point Brewery is very underated. They make some fantastic brews such as Righteous Rye and Bengali Tiger. I never hear much talk about them as I do others
  24. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Three Heads Brewing, out of Rochester. Haven't had a bad beer from them yet, I never hear them talked about.
    3HeadsBrewing likes this.
  25. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 May 11, 2007 Minnesota

EPA is still a classic. Their Oatmeal stout is one of the best. Then there are there more recent changes (took 'em a while). Horizon Red is tasty when fresh and Saga is top notch IMO. The Unchained series has exceeded my expectations, and another series (union, soon to start) is exciting the hell out of me.
  26. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Oct 1, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Caldera's pretty good, Good IPA, Great DIPA, good Imperial stout..And one of the BEST beers i've ever had Mogli Imperial BA porter with chocolate
  27. alex_hart

alex_hart Feb 28, 2013 Oklahoma

The smokestack series is one of my favorite lines of beers I have had to date. Havn't had even one that I havnt liked (and I've had 10 out of the 15, the other five of which I cant find being: Chocolate Ale, Harvest Dance Wheat Wine, Bourbon Barrel Quad, Imperial Stout, and Love Child No. 2)
  28. MikeAAL

MikeAAL Feb 8, 2013 Wisconsin

New Glarus Brewing Company / New Glarus, Wisconsin
  29. dagmer

dagmer Feb 27, 2012 Illinois

I don't know if these are underrated or not but..
    Great Lakes
  30. MikeAAL

MikeAAL Feb 8, 2013 Wisconsin

I agree, their beer is excellent.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  31. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Southern Tier.

So many solid offerings. Harvest is an absolute gem.
  32. victory4me

victory4me Oct 16, 2004 Pennsylvania

33. JReites

JReites Dec 29, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

7venth sun in Dunedin, FL
  34. baconman91

baconman91 Dec 13, 2009 Ohio

The Brew Kettle - Clev. Ohio
  35. Fubar1453

Fubar1453 Jul 5, 2010 Massachusetts

Jack's Abby
    HawkIPA likes this.
  36. BKBassist

BKBassist Jan 24, 2013 New York

Singlecut in Queens NYC. Doing some very solid takes on common styles, saw their upcoming releases and it's gonna get wild.
  37. VladTepes

VladTepes Oct 18, 2012 Finland

IMO many mentioned are actually totally overrated, as Southern Tier just above.

I am agree, that Victory is very good brewery, don't actually know how hyped it is in States.
  38. Mediczod

Mediczod Aug 2, 2012 New York

I'll go with Unibroue. They make some world class stuff but, at least in my area, even people who are really in to beer in general and Belgian style beers in particular either overlook them or aren't aware of them.
    mtmonroe9 likes this.
  39. TheSaboteur

TheSaboteur Sep 20, 2010 Nebraska

darky and BottleCaps80 like this.
  40. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Dec 14, 2011 Wisconsin
    ¡Bad Trader! Beer Trader

and Smuttynose
    MarshMan71 and moju like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!