Most underrated/on the rise NE brewery

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by JakeTheSnake30, Apr 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JakeTheSnake30

JakeTheSnake30 Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2015 Massachusetts

Hello BA, as we all can agree, New England is killing the beer game right now. I'm just curious, what are people's opinions on what brewery in this region is the most underrated or on the rise? A couple I would list are Castle Island in MA, Proclamation in RI, Foley Bros in VT, and Stoneface in NH. Let me know what you think BA!

Jake

2. edallolie

edallolie Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2015 Connecticut

I think Relic in CT makes somes awesome stuff that goes unnoticed

3. Coxrox

Coxrox Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2016 New Hampshire

Deciduous in Newmarket NH! I'm a local to Newmarket but after tasting MBC's Dinner, Tree House, Swish, Epiphany, Trillium and other local beer I love Deciduous' offerings and they have only been stepping up their game!!

4. ElGallo

ElGallo Meyvn (1,171) Sep 26, 2009 New Hampshire

Stoneface IPA and their RIS variants have been exceptional. I would say Deciduous will continue to get more props as the summer goes on - best brewery in New England for Berliner-style and gose (although I do love me some Lost Nation Gose). Looking forward to trying Deciduous's new pLambic as well.

DoctorD and JakerLou like this.
  5. jct133

jct133 Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Maine

Austin St is definitely underrated. Patina Pale, Milk Stout and Catherine are all great, with Patina be exceptional.

Bissel328 and Sheppard like this.
  6. JimmyJimJim

JimmyJimJim Initiate (68) Sep 11, 2015 Massachusetts

Black Pond. I love their Machu Picchu.

7. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (204) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

Brick and Feather. I don't know if theyre particularly under rated but they are pretty new. I've wanted to get up there for a while. Finally had a delicious Letters From Zelda at the Abbey this week.

8. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Wait until CBC really gets thier sours cranking in bottles. This will be the biggest come up in the MA beer scene maybe ever.

9. gregdrinksbeer

gregdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2016 Massachusetts

They've been hiding out in Turner's Falls, but it's only a matter of time until the secret gets out. I've had In Absentia, Zelda, and 11th Street and all 3 were truly amazing.

Garrison City Beerworks in Dover, NH is another brewery that's definitely on the rise.

10. beantown_hopster

beantown_hopster Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2015 Massachusetts

Stoneface for me as well as far as underrated breweries. Their IPA/DIPA game is strong.

FrankLloydMike and Piels25 like this.
  11. agreenman19

agreenman19 Poo-Bah (2,064) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Meh!

They make a lot of stuff that I want to love because it sounds so interesting, and while they tick all the right boxes, it still ends up falling short most of the time. The Huntress and the variations/off shoots always fool me at bars because they look good, but I usually end up with a big ol' "meh".

They've had some neat stuff at fests, but it's usually just different dry hopped variations of their mediocre base beers. So much potential... I just worry they have cemented their lineup so we won't be seeing anything truly amazing (aside from the occasional fest beer) even though they're damn well capable of making awesome shit.

I should really go visit the brewery and see what other one-offs and crazy stuff they have on tap. It's only 15 min from my work and in the same town as my most frequented lunch spot, J. Timothy's, who has one or two dedicated Relic taplines.

ichorNet likes this.
  12. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Foley Brothers and Frost Beer Works would be my choices. Prohibition Pig has been outstanding as well. There are others out there making good beer and showing potential. Bog Iron, 10th District, Proclamation.

BiffWoodentree and BoldRulerVT like this.
  13. dortenzio1991

dortenzio1991 Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2011 Connecticut

Is Kent Falls considered underrated?? I vote them

14. djbrown13

djbrown13 Initiate (199) Jul 19, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society

Outer Light in Groton, CT. Really enjoy Castle Island, too. A little biased though since they are so close to me.

PicoPapa likes this.
  15. GiantCogs

GiantCogs Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2012 Massachusetts

I miss Enlightenment.

SABERG, ljkeats, ichorNet and 14 others like this.
  16. jbertsch

jbertsch Poo-Bah (1,594) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

"Underrated" is a term nobody can agree on so these types of questions are hard to answer. I also think "on the rise" and "underrated" are almost mutually exclusive. I view an underrated brewery to be something like Berkshire. They make quality brews but don't get super high ratings or much chatter. Many of the breweries mentioned so far get a fair amount of chatter and/or are rated quite well. They may be on the rise, or "one to watch", but underrated? No. I might even say some are overrated...another meaningless term :grimacing: :wink:

HuskyHawk and batch19 like this.
  17. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Bog Iron
    Cold Harbor

hudsonvalleyslim and frekky like this.
  18. IannG

IannG Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2011 Connecticut

Cold Creek Brewery in Ellington, CT. They're doing it all nice juicy IPAs, tasty sours, delicious stouts.

19. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

I think you are right. I listed "on the rise" breweries in Frost Beer Works, Foley Bros., and Pro Pig. Mayflower would be on my list for underrated. Long Trail too. Unearthed was magnificent. Limbo is darned good. Double Bag and Harvest are excellent, and the base Ale is underrated because too many people think it's a Pale Ale.

20. SouthAtholSuds

SouthAtholSuds Initiate (150) Nov 3, 2008 Massachusetts

Honest Weight?

Sheppard likes this.
  21. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2016 Maine

I'll agree with Austin Street and add that 6 Grain is an exceptionally tasty beer.

I'll also second that Mayflower is underrated, Alden was a solid DIPA, I think they should add it to their year round line-up.

22. bittym87

bittym87 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts

You know what's an underrated brewery? Beer Works. Yes, I see someone just coincidentally revived the Waltham BW thread, but I just got back from Salem BW and I've been to the Canal St. Boston location a few times of late and had the same good experience, so I think it's worth looking at them from this angle.

The "new," "east-coast" IPAs, Big Boy, Contender, and most of all Equinox - all spot on, all actually juicy and flavorful, all offered at reasonable prices and in multiple sizes. And it's not just the hop-bombs. The Boston Cream Ale is excellent. The Black Sheep IPA is roasty and robust. Do they still put out some fairly mediocre "core" beers that taste like glorified BMC? Sure. But I think in the context of what's happening in New England right now, you have to give them credit for not sitting back and resting on name recognition alone (the Gritty's and Shipyards of the world) and not just giving it a shot but, in my opinion, actually pulling it off when it comes to these styles. On top of that, they're a chain with reasonable food located next to both of Boston's premier sporting venues, and (at least in the case of the Canal St. spot) less crowded than the considerably douchier dudebro bars adjacent to them on game nights. So, are they Trillium? Of course not. But they're definitely underrated.

For up and coming, I'm not going to hide that I'm a huge fan of Brick & Feather and Cold Harbor.

23. jbertsch

Society Trader

I too was going to say Beer Works. I had written them off a while ago but the beers coming out of the Framingham location (where contender and equinox were born I beleive) have rejuvenated the brand a bit. The lagers are pretty darn good too. I 'm very happy there these days.

24. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (387) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

Proclamation in RI for sure. I have never heard a word about them down here, but I received several bottles from a friend and thought all 3 of the sours were fantastic. I'm still sitting on a bottle of a BA stout that I'm looking forward to trying also.

Newport_beerguy likes this.
  25. ransom22

ransom22 Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2016 Uzbekistan

Banded Horn Brewing

Foundation Brewing

both HIGHLY underrated

dental likes this.
  26. ichorNet

ichorNet Poo-Bah (2,095) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

Great North Aleworks
    Rockingham (Derry NH)
    Hidden Cove

klawburke likes this.
  27. agreenman19

agreenman19 Poo-Bah (2,064) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Society Trader

One of the head brewers there went to my high school and I ran cross country with him. Still haven't gotten down there, but I had no idea he had it in him. Awesome!

28. zeedub

zeedub Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2015 Vermont

Funky Bow from Maine! I am in love with the Pale G String - and not just for the name! The So Folkin' Hoppy is solid as well.

Bissel328 likes this.
  29. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

Another vote for Kent Falls. Some of the best sailors and Brett beers I've ever had. So clean.

30. xerotime

xerotime Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2005 Massachusetts

That is correct. Contender, Equinox, Boston Cream, Perfect Pils and some others were all born out of the Framingham location. That said, I have just accepted a position as Head Brewer at Back East in Bloomfield CT so look for some juicy hops (in cans!) to be coming out of there in the near future.

31. DirtyDawg10

DirtyDawg10 Initiate (132) Apr 5, 2016 Connecticut

Awesome, when did you accept the job at Back East?

32. xerotime

a little over a week ago. I'll be starting in a couple weeks.

33. DirtyDawg10

DirtyDawg10 Initiate (132) Apr 5, 2016 Connecticut

Sweet! I've taken a break from them for a while because I wasn't a big fan of their latest offerings. Looking forward to trying some of your beers.

34. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (158) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Nnnoooooooo! Was just talking to the wife about how we don't get to Beerworks often enough.

35. jbertsch

Society Trader

Congrats to you. Do you know if Equinox and Contender will continue for Beer Works?

36. xerotime

Equinox will not be as I only brewed that to be on for a couple months. I do have a Citra/Centennial double going on tap this Wednesday but it was a very small batch that will (probably) be limited to Framingham. As for Contender, no clue. I have 3 batches in various stages of fermentation but after that, if it does carry on, it will be brewed by someone else. I will be putting on a fresh batch of Contender at Framingham on Friday the 13th.

Capt_Quint likes this.
  37. jbertsch

Society Trader

Thanks for the info. Very bummed we’ll be losing your talent in Framingham, but best of luck to you at Back East.

Capt_Quint likes this.
  38. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,842) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

I don't know, man. I've heard great things about both of these places and I've had a few Foundation brews. Maybe they fly a little under the radar because they're next to (but not for long) Bissell. But...they're actual beers are rated very high on this site.

39. xanok

xanok Zealot (556) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

Selling multiple infected batches has held them back imo. I haven't bought their stuff in ages because of their history.

bootdown21 likes this.
  40. readzeppelin

readzeppelin Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2015 Georgia

Medusa brewing has been putting up a great variety of brews this past year and I'd like to see them get more credit.

slobes, hudsonvalleyslim and krantul like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.