Mount Crushmore of Classic Craft Beer -Top 5 ?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by crisis1290, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (1,868) Jun 18, 2010 New York

SNPA
    Sam Adams Boston Lager
    PtE
    BCBS
    Westvleteren XII

spoony and rightcoast7 like this.
  2. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (946) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

SNPA
    Anchor Steam
    Anchor liberty Ale
    Sam Adams Boston Lager
    Dogfish Head 90 min. IPA

OneDropSoup likes this.
  3. dennis3951

Magic Hat gets a lot a flack on this site but i feel they made some fine beers over the years. I recall one call Fat Angel that was outstanding.

cavedave likes this.
  4. jmasher85

jmasher85 Zealot (576) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland
    Trader

I'm surprised by the number of fairly esoteric beers on this list - a lot of the entries like Zombie Dust are probably unheard of to most drinkers. My list, purely with regard to popularity, lasting power, and quality is:

Boston Lager
    SNPA
    Anchor Steam
    Guinness
    Blue Moon (or possibly Chimay Blue)

Yes, I know a couple of those are not thought of as "craft" anymore, but Lincoln would never have been a Republican in this day and age, and Roosevelt's Panama Canal was an imperialist power grab that nobody today would have allowed, so I'm happy with my list, taking historicality into consideration.

Pantalones and Gemini6 like this.
  5. Nick_Bousquet

Nick_Bousquet Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2014 Virginia

While the real Mount Rushmore is 4 Presidents, I am going to run with the OP's suggestion of 5 because it is his thread and because I like it more.

Sam Adams Boston Lager - Is there a more prolific beer to the craft industry?

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Another that has retained its quality while gently exposing the masses to what better beer can be.

Goose Island BCBS - I feel like we need a representation of the ushering in of BA stouts and massive hype, this is simply the King in those categories. (Yes, even with the AB buyout - I mean, I love Jefferson but he was a pretty terrible guy in many regards and remains on our real Mount Rushmore.)

Russian River Pliny the Elder - The staple by which every high profile IPA/DIPA was and has been placed against. The original "whale" of the style for many, and likely inspirational to many brewers hoping to tackle the hop.

Saint Bernardus Abt 12 OR Rochefort 10 OR Westy 12 - I honestly cannot decide which to put on the mountain, as there is a great argument to be made for any of the three. The point really is that we need some homage to Belgian influences and roots on here. Cantillon Gueze came to mind but that style is simply too idiosyncratic.

6. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,657) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Maybe he included Crazy Horse!

Boston Lager
    SNPA (due it its iconic status... there are better "classical" pale ales that have been out almost as long)
    Anchor Steam
    Pete's Wicked
    Stone IPA

7. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,367) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Boston Lager
    SNPA
    Ruination
    PtE
    Westy 12

8. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Defender (655) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

1) Founders Breakfast Stout
    2) Samuel Adams Boston Lager
    3) New Belgium Fat Tire
    4) Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
    5) Lagunitas Brown Shugga

9. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,669) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I think if you are making a monument, then it's to immortalize something so that people don't forget. Influence has to play a big part in this.

With the Grant's, it was the first version brewed in the US, and set the stage for homebrewers to start exploring the style. For a while there, the only Imperial Stout most people would have ever tasted was if they made one.

AlcahueteJ and cavedave like this.
  10. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,275) Jan 6, 2014 New York

There's no cat on the label, but Fat Angel? That was my first MH beer.

cavedave likes this.
  11. dennis3951

When was Grants first brewed? I was thinking about putting Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout on my listed. I didn't since even though BBCS has been around for 20+ years I was pretty sure it' was not the first.

12. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,908) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Bert Grant's book, The Ale Master, says only that "...soon after we opened...we made our first commercial batches of Grant's Imperial Stout..." - which would put it in the last half of 1982. His stout was 75-80 ibu's with a "target" abv of 6-7% (M. Jackson's 1980s editions of his Pocket Guide put it at 6-6.5%).

#52 jesskidden, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    dennis3951 and TongoRad like this.
  13. OneDropSoup

OneDropSoup Meyvn (1,090) Dec 9, 2008 Pennsylvania

This is the first correct response. You could also argue for Anchor Liberty Ale, Porter, & Old Foghorn. All of them.

#53 OneDropSoup, Feb 16, 2016
  14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,310) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

My Mount Crushmore would be a diversity of beer types:

· Pliny the Elder (hoppy)

· St. Bernardus Abt 12/Rochefort 10 (Belgian Abbey/Trappist style)

· Troegs Sunshine Pils (German style beer)

· Bourbon Country Brand Coffee Stout (Barrel Aged)

· Victory Storm King (Imperial Stout)

Cheers!

15. OneDropSoup

And to kind of be a pain in the ass, but not 100%: Blue Moon. Seriously. Craft or not, I think it's one of the most important American beers of the past 50 years. Probably not the top 5, but maybe the top 10.

spoony likes this.
  16. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,317) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

Anchor Steam
    Boston Lager
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    60 minute IPA
    Magic Hat #9

For me, these are my classics

ahawkman likes this.
  17. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (5,281) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts

These are what I think of as my classics.

Sam Adams Boston Lager
    SNPA
    Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
    Chimay Blue
    Aecht Schlenkerla Urbock

If it has to be all American then add:

Shiner Bock,
    Bells Amber,
    and Deschutes Black Butte.

#57 tigg924, Feb 16, 2016
  18. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,317) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

Are you thinking of Lucky Cat? Or is that a newer beer.

19. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,576) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

All American:
    Boston Lager
    SNPA
    Heady Topper or Pliny (pick one)
    Bourbon County
    Blue Moon (don't crucify me because its faux-craft...its the biggest Belgian Wit out there and enjoyed by the vast majority people so there).

1 Vienna Lager
    1 American Pale Ale
    1 Super Hoppy Double IPA
    1 BA Stout
    1 Belgian Witbier
    All are well known and been around for a long time.

spoony, RBMurphy4 and OneDropSoup like this.
  20. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Crusader (777) May 14, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

If you want to call it "Mount Crushmore," then it would have to be a list of crushable beers. Also, last I checked there were 4 heads on the mountain?

4 would be:

SNPA
    Pliny
    Heady
    Boston Lager

21. JratBones

JratBones Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2013 Massachusetts

Harpoon Ipa
    Brooklyn Lager
    Sierra Pale
    Saranac caramel porter(used to love it)
    Sam Adams Boston Ale(not lager) haha

VelvetExtract likes this.
  22. ChrisL24481

ChrisL24481 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2012 New Hampshire

My thinking is this should be kept to just American beers (or have a separate list for European beers). Anyway, based solely on American breweries, my list is below:

Sam Adams Boston Lager (Jim Koch)
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (Ken Grossman)
    Anchor Steam (Fritz Maytag)
    DFH 60 Minute (Sam Calagione)
    Allagash White (Rob Tod)

Honorable Mention:
    Pliny the Elder (Vinnie Cilurzo)
    Stone IPA (Greg Koch)

I wanted to note the names behind each as they all had a significant role in paving the way for all future craft brewers.

ahawkman likes this.
  23. Dweedlebug

Dweedlebug Disciple (343) Feb 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

Anchor steam
    Sam Adams Boston lager
    Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout
    Sierra Nevada pale ale
    Fat Tire

ahawkman likes this.
  24. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,657) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

OK, if this is modeled after Mount Rushmore, it should be choosing beers of historical significance to craft beer. Recall that the four presidents were chosen to represent the first century and a half of the USA and were selected because of their importance to the founding of the country (Washington & Jefferson), the preservation of the country (Lincoln) and the expansion of the country (Roosevelt).

Original founding of craft beer as we know it in the USA (Anchor, maybe BBC)
    Preservation of craft beer (Sierra Nevada?)
    Expansion of craft beer (Stone?)

LambicPentameter likes this.
  25. OneDropSoup

No mention made of New Albion here?

EDIT: My bad, @BeerVikingSailor. And good on you for being the only one.

26. GotWad629

GotWad629 Initiate (188) Sep 14, 2010 New York

Great lakes Edmund fits
    Sierra Nevada pale ale
    Saranac Adirondack lager
    Ithaca apricot wheat
    Stone arrogant bastard

27. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (3,376) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Anchor Steam
    SNPA
    Sam Adams Boston Lager
    Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold
    Rogue Dead Guy Ale

VABA likes this.
  28. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,669) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Plus the bottled version did predate Brooklyn's beer on the east coast as well. Probably around '89 to '90.

29. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (498) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

A "top 5 beers" list !? Gosh, what an concept !!

raynmoon likes this.
  30. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,792) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Anchor Steam
    Pete's Wicked
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Sam Adams Boston Lager
    Dogfish Head 90 minute

PatrickCT likes this.
  31. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,215) Jan 2, 2001 Ontario (Canada)

In no particular order:
    SNPA
    Sam Adams Boston Lager
    Pete's Wicked Ale
    Anchor Steam Beer
    Grant's IPA

PatrickCT likes this.
  32. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,215) Jan 2, 2001 Ontario (Canada)

Their "Thumbsucker" was pretty damn good too.

33. MUTINY

MUTINY Meyvn (1,118) Feb 6, 2015 Virginia

SNPA
    DFH 60
    Stone IPA
    Red Hook ESB
    Anchor Steam

All 'classic', all crushable

34. David_Deas

David_Deas Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 North Carolina

Historical significance? The term "craft beer" is a modern term used to describe a very recent phenomenon in, mostly, American beer. Sierra Nevada and Anchor came before the term "craft beer" was even in use.

When you think of the dominant styles of beer in the craft scene like the imperial stout and the IPA, who do you think of? Which breweries are most responsible for the current landscape? You can always go back in time to the first guy who ever brewed a batch of funky beer somewhere in the world and mark him as the most important brewer of all time, but which breweries are the direct influences for the playing field we currently have today?

Anchor, Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams have nothing to do with anything in the top 100 right now. Really, anything in the top 250 to be honest.

35. AugiePrimrose

AugiePrimrose Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2009 Illinois

Anchor Steam
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Redhook ESB
    Sam Adams Boston Lager
    Rogue Dead Guy Ale

36. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,140) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

And the Top 250 has nothing to do with anything except showing what beers are highly rated on this particular website. In addition to that, the Top 250 is constantly changing, the styles/beers that were ranked highly five years ago, ten years ago...etc., are quite different than what you see today.

Moreover, Anchor's Liberty Ale and Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale are considered templates for today's modern American IPA.

Finally, the Top 250 does not reflect what people are ACTUALLY drinking among craft beer. Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale and Sam Adams Boston Lager are numbers 1 and 2 respectively in terms of individual beer sales for craft beer. They may not show up in the Top 250, but to say they have no significance in today's craft beer market is short sighted.

spoony, thepenguin, ahawkman and 4 others like this.
  37. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,485) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska
    Trader

So, I got a little (overly) analytical and this and really wanted to try and make my beers as analogous to the actual Mount Rushmore as possible. So first, a little Mt. Rushmore history (EDIT: piggybacking on @MNAle, as I wrote this before I saw his post):

Of the four presidents represented, the latest any of them served was Roosevelt, until 1909 as the 26th president. That means that the presidents included only represent roughly the first half (26 out of 44 presidents or 120 out of 227 years) of U.S. presidential history.

As such, I'm going to cut off options for inclusion onto Mount Beersmore at the year 2000, as it's a nice round number and if you consider the late 70s as the "official" beinning of the craft movement, it's close to the halfway point to the present day. To those who would argue that there were important beer things that happened after 2000, I agree. But then again, significant things have happened in the United States since 1909...

The other feature of the faces on Mt. Rushmore is that each man played a significant part in the history of the United States (again, per @MNAle). I'll spare you the history lesson, as I think we can all agree that Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt and Lincoln have undisputed places in U.S. history.

Also, to @TheBungyo's point, the were all American.

Given those constraints, my Mount Beersmore:

New Albion Ale (aka, George Washington) - A founding father. THE founding father, by the account of some. And it's short-lived nature is an echo to Washington's voluntary term limits.

Old Foghorn (aka, Thomas Jefferson) - Another founding father, who had a huge impact on the future of our country due to his being primary author of the Declaration of Independence, much like Fritz Maytag's importance to our craft beer history.

Boston Lager (aka, Theodore Roosevelt) - another trailblazer, Jim carries the "big stick" in the craft beer world, although he is not soft spoken.

Bourbon County Brand Stout (aka, Abe Lincoln) - Much like the controversy of the civil war tearing apart America in the 1800s, BCBS has torn apart the beer community ever since GI's purchase by ABInBev. And although the first official release of BCBS came in 2004, according to GI, it was first brewed by Greg Hall in 1994.

Sincerest apologies to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, who is just as deserving as any of the previously-mentioned beers.

In fairness, a founding father is still a founding father even if they later betray the country.

At any rate, once you sandblast them off, I think you have to just leave a blank space there as a warning to future founding fathers who might be tempted... :wink:

Why does a classic have to be readily available? Classic cars are often extremely rare, in many cases because they are old and out of production. Classic, imho, refers more to that thing's place within the history from which it comes than it does the ability of your average consumer to access it.

Yes, but we're talking about the Mt. Rushmore of craft beer. As such, it's perfectly analogous to choose beers based on their place in the history of craft beer the same way Washington/Jefferson/Roosevelt/Lincoln's place within American history.

Also, Washington and Jefferson were around before the term United States of America was even in use.

38. DrunkAl

DrunkAl Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 Illinois

Dark Lord - Love it or hate it (most people in the latter), it started this whole special release, limited edition, brewery created hype. It was the first American whale.

Bourbon County - Where would we be without bourbon barrel aged stouts?

SNPA - created probably the most popular American beer style

Russian River sours - pick one - the sour game in the USA is completly different from overseas, less funk, more acid, intense flavors. IMO they have surpassed the Belgians. RR started this and the need one up there.

Rushmore has 4 last I checked. So I'm leaving it there.

39. London_Gent

London_Gent Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2014 United Kingdom (England)

SN Torpedo
    Pilsner Urquell
    Founders Breakfast Stout
    Brewdog Punk IPA
    Tilquin Geuze

I have drunk, and continue to drink, abominable amounts of these.

40. Hallu

Hallu Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2016 France

I don't get the fuss about the Punk IPA to be honest. Their Hardcore IPA is far better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.