Mount Rushmore of cheap beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by IPAExpert69, Jan 9, 2018.

1. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (7,228) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

If I ever feel the need to buy cheap beer, it's PBR. I have a friend that goes with Kraftig & Kraftig Light as his local cheap beer.

2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,520) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

For some reason aal to a large degree have never been a chore for me. I went back to some aals because I couldn’t justify $10 six packs of a lot of the beers on the shelf, hell even local craft that’s dubious is $10-12 a six. I get bored fairly easily and it’s easier and cheaper to be bored with AALs. When I buy good beer I find I enjoy it more.

Bitterbill likes this.
  3. KentT

KentT Aspirant (219) Oct 15, 2008 Tennessee

Yuengling Lager or Black & Tan
    Hamms
    Schlitz Gusto
    Narragansett
    Miller High Life

If Genny Cream was easier to find, I'd make room for it. Likewise for Schlitz Malt Liquor. They're sometimes hard to find.

#123 KentT, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  4. KentT

Come to East Tennessee, we have Old Style. Cheap too. And it's good. I have been known to do it with Style!

bbtkd and nc41 like this.
  5. nc41

Beer Trader

Never had Old Style, I'd be game, how does TN get that?

6. KentT

We have several outlets who get it shipped in.

7. Kemblain

Kemblain Initiate (190) Jan 18, 2018 New York
    Beer Trader

Blue Moon Variety 12 pk (6 regular, 3 each of two seasonal flavors) for $17 at my "expensive" local grocery is my go to.

8. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,918) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

Wow, Old Style brings back memories of growing up in Wisconsin. Old Style, Old Milwaukee, Miller, Pabst, Leinies, Hamm's, Grain Belt, Schlitz, etc. AAL heaven.

KentT likes this.
  9. KentT

I get Old Style shipped in, Leinies is common, and get Hamm's and Papst, and we have one store which has Schlitz Gusto. Grain Belt I'd like to find, just so I can say I tasted it once.

Bitterbill likes this.
  10. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Savant (961) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Genesee Cream Ale
    Carling Black Label
    Yuengling
    Colt 45

11. cryptichead

cryptichead Champion (866) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

In no particular order but with lots of memories and emotional attachment to each one

PBR
    Milwaukee's Best
    Hamm's
    High Life

12. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Zealot (528) Dec 19, 2006 California

Rolling Rock
    PBR
    Negra Modelo
    Coors (Original)

13. Gobearswalter34

Gobearswalter34 Meyvn (1,057) Aug 1, 2014 Illinois

Tastes phenomenal on a hot day in the bleachers at Wrigley Field.

nc41 likes this.
  14. Gobearswalter34

Grain Belt is surprisingly good.

LuskusDelph and miwestcoaster like this.
  15. GetTheYayo

GetTheYayo Devotee (458) Aug 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Miller Lite
    Cave Creek Chili beer
    Southpaw
    Old Milwaukee

16. nc41

Beer Trader

I bet thats really one really nostalgic beer for those who grew up in the distro area. Mine is Rolling Rock, Schlitz and Bud as far as that goes, but if I'm buying AALs right now it's Hamm's.

KentT likes this.
  17. muck1979

muck1979 Initiate (153) Jul 3, 2005 Minnesota

Too bad it's almost impossible to find since A-B took over Wrigley.

HEY OLD STYLE.

eppCOS likes this.
  18. DrewSnyc667

DrewSnyc667 Devotee (494) Jul 25, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Anything by Narragansett...in the Boston area they are 6.99/6-pack pounders.

LuskusDelph, KentT and Bitterbill like this.
  19. Gobearswalter34

Yep. Limited to about 2 spots now.

20. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (3,577) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota

They don't make regular Grain Belt anymore. Wish they did. Schells brews and does a good job with Grain Belt Premium and Grain Belt Nordeast (newer beer, amberish, sweet).Premo itself is a sweetish almost candied AAL. Definitely worth trying if you can get your hands on sum.

LuskusDelph, muck1979 and KentT like this.
  21. pjbear05

pjbear05 Aspirant (201) May 28, 2008 Florida
    Beer Trader

PBR
    Goebel
    Blatz
    Stroh's

22. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (188) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona
    Beer Trader

They've got it out here at Sloan Park. You've got to come out for Spring training, I guess!

My top 4, since I'm already posting here:
    -High Life
    -Rolling Rock
    -Regular Budweiser
    -Is MGD distinct from High Life? If not, Modelo.

23. JoePasko

JoePasko Initiate (129) Mar 10, 2018 New York

1. "Mountain Brew Ice Beer" - Proprietary brand available exclusively @ Stewarts convenience stores in Upstate NY. Originally brewed under contract by Genesee, in Rochester NY, it sold for $2.99 a six pack and was actually pretty good (very good, actually, for that price). But now it's being made by that brewery in LaCrosse WI, the price has gone up to $3.99, and the current version is pure awful.... un-drinkable at any temperature or price.

2. "Koch's Golden Anniversary Beer" - The cans said 'Fred Koch Brewing Co., Rochester NY' ... but it was likewise produced by Genesee, who bought out Fred Koch. A damn good one ! Best lawnmower beer ever. Currently out-of-production. Hope it comes back.

3. "Genesee Bock Beer" -- an annual favorite in upstate NY, you know Spring is around the corner when the $9.99 twelve-packs return to the shelves, with the goat and daisies on the can. Also.. it doesn't give you the beer-sh*ts as bad as Genesee Cream Ale does.

4. "Utica Club XXX Pilsner" - Long before FX Matt Brewing (Utica, NY) launched their line of 'Saranac' craft ales & lagers, U.C. was their flagship beer. The company vacillates about the association between Saranac and Utica Club. A few years ago, the Saranac website featured a link to the Utica Club page, which extolled the company's pride in making this legendary NY beer, and featured an article about how Utica Club was one the 'retro-beers' that have found a new appeal among millennial hipsters. Now they have swung the other way: U.C. is brewed under an alias (West End Brewing Co.), and it seems they want the Utica Club brand in no way to be connected to Saranac. Go figure.

24. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,257) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Well, in between Utica Club and Saranac, I'd say that by the late '70s - early '80s, Matts Premium was pretty much their flagship - at least in the Finger Lakes region, it was easily the most common NY state beer found on tap and lots of bars also carried the little 7 oz. clear longneck deposit bottles (they even used them for salt & pepper shakers). Me, I ordered Matts for home in the brown 12oz. returnables so I didn't have to pour from clear bottles.

Although my favorite was Utica Club Cream Ale - usually difficult to find until it disappeared all together. Drank a few Fort Schuylers and a few more Maxiumus Supers, too, in my time.

As 'dba' names go, West End is one of the most authentic, given that was the brewery's name until around 1980.
    [​IMG]
    Changed because it sounded "...too parochial" according to FX II, quoted in a 1981 article.

LuskusDelph and Bitterbill like this.
  25. JoePasko

Hell, yeah ! Matt's Premium was our favorite beer in high school. Back when the drinking age in NY was 18... and the idea of 16- and 17- year-old's drinking beer was not equated to the end of civilization as we know it. And we definitely liked the slim 7oz. bottles (8-packs in red cartons), better then the stubby 7oz. pony bottles that Miller was sold in. Went to many parties where there was a "Matts Beer Ball" on tap. You only rented and had to return the tap. The big plastic ball you kept or disposed of. The empty beer balls were commonly collected by camp-owners, for floats for their docks.

Since the history of the FX Matt company is public knowledge, I don't understand why they try to distance their Utica Club brand from the Saranac brand. We all know the same company makes both.. . we have no problem with that, do we ?

26. jesskidden

Or you could buy it outright:
    [​IMG]
    The UTICA CLUB BEER and UTICA CLUB ALE signs are still atop the brewery? Last UC I saw stressed the "historic" nature of the brand (including the dubious claim of being "The first beer sold after Prohibition" or some such nonsense :rolling_eyes:) so it kinda makes sense to use the old "West End" 'dba' name to me.

27. DogbiteWilliams

DogbiteWilliams Initiate (119) Mar 28, 2015 California

Unfortunately, Trader Joe's has discontinued one of my favorite $1 beers - JosephsBrau Dunkelweizen. I do like Black Toad.

I recently tried my first sub-$1 beer and I was disappointed in Trader Jose's Dark Lager.

28. spongebob2

spongebob2 Initiate (151) Feb 8, 2018 Tennessee

Picked up a sixer of Hamms tallboys- $3.69. Hadnt had it in years - think its going to be around a lot!

LuskusDelph likes this.
  29. AWA

AWA Aspirant (265) Jul 22, 2014 California

Hamms
    Schlitz
    Meisterbrau
    Mickeys
    Yeah. I know. Sue me.

30. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (94) Feb 25, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Modelo Negra
    Lowenbrau dark
    Miller High Life
    Henry Weinhard's Dark (does HW exist any more?)

LuskusDelph likes this.
  31. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,119) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

Coors Extra Gold
    Old Milwaukee
    Hamms
    Busch

32. Inglewood

Inglewood Zealot (590) Jan 28, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I do enjoy Special Export, it's good stuff.

33. jesskidden

The brand or the brewery (Blitz-Weinhard)? The Portland OR brewery closed when the last owner, Stroh, left the industry in 1999 and sold the Henry Weinhard brand to Miller (most of the other Stroh/Heileman brands were sold to Pabst at the time).

Today, MillerCoors continues to brew some of the Henry Weinhard beers in their own breweries, using the Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co. as a 'dba' name. Confusing the labels (top) list the brewery cities as Milwaukee and Irwindale CA, while the Henry Weinhard website lists it as Golden, CO (below).
    [​IMG]

MC also uses the "Henry (Weinhard)" and "Blitz Weinhard" trademarks for their line of hard soda and seltzers...:astonished:

The brand might hold the dubious record in the US for being owned by the most number of "macro" brewers since the late 1970s - Pabst, Heileman, Stroh, Miller and now MillerCoors.

34. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (94) Feb 25, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the info jess. So does this mean that no HW-branded beers are still being made? Anyways it was one of my go-to beers during college - a case of HW Dark for $10. I'd get one of those and a 1.5L of Mondavi Woodbridge Zin for $6 and I was good for a Saturday.

35. jesskidden

I guess they are --- if you believe the MC Henry Weinhard page I linked to...(which has a "Find Henry's" app)...I'd imagine MC is pretty quick to kill websites for their dropped brands.
    (not sure I've seen them lately on the East Coast but HW was always a primarily western brand during its heyday).

36. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Initiate (187) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Yuengling
    Genny Bock
    PBR
    Lionshead

LuskusDelph likes this.
  37. JoePasko

Yuengling Black & Tan seems to be fairly popular with people who don't usually go for dark beer. I prefer the full-strength Yuengling Porter, except I haven't seen it in stores in Albany NY in several years. My wife prefers I do not purchase any Yuengling, because of who the company endorsed for President. Although I prefer not to mix beer and politicks ... and if I could find the Porter again, I might sneak some into the house ... otherwise I will honor her wishes.