Mount Snow Area Bars and Bottle Shops?

Discussion in 'New England' started by LiquidCourage, Feb 11, 2013.

1. LiquidCourage

LiquidCourage Nov 1, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

I'll be in the Mount Snow area for a bachelor party this weekend.

1. Any good bars in the area?

2. Any good bottle shops or places to get kegs?

2. Flashy

Flashy Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

You'd better call ahead for a keg if you want something decent- try the 7-11 in West Dover. Apre Vous in Wilmington is the best place close to the mountain- but if your going out at night I suggest cab service from Wilmington back to Dover. The Mid Station bar at Mount Snow has a great beer selection, but closes early. The Snow Barn can get pretty wild and has at least Dog Fish Head 60 on tap and a couple of others.

3. deanhead

deanhead Sep 2, 2005 Vermont

Along with what Flashy has mentioned there are a few other palces worth checking out. Decent beer selection, nothing exotic but you'll find something to drink for everyone in your group.

OMT on route 100 (next to the 7-11 in West Dover) has a respectable selection of beer on tap. Pool tables and pub food. Plenty of screens to watch sports. Worth checking out if you are bar hopping.

The Saloon has some decent beer on tap (also on route 100) with 1.00 PBR specials.

The Dover bar and Grill is a total local dive bar with foosball and pool tables.

Regarding kegs you could try discoun beverage in Brattleboro. They have access to some great beer. Call ahead or PM me if you want a barrel of McNeills and I'll see what I can find for you.

4. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

Just wanted to second the recommendation of Apres Vous. I have a friend who lives in the area, and I've been very pleasantly surprised by the beer selection. It's a nice little spot with as good of a taplist as I've seen in southern Vermont (aside from McNeill's brewpub or Flat Street pre-flood, both in Brattleboro).

Looks like you could even catch the Moover #7 bus from Mt. Snow to downtown Wilmington, where Apres Vous is located, if you want to avoid driving and a cab fare.

5. lostsurf24

lostsurf24 Nov 13, 2007 Massachusetts

We had a good time at the Station at the Mountain Saturday. Great tap list right now...for a mountain. I had Allagash Curieux and the lady had S N Bigfoot. Though the pours suck for the big beers. (10%ABV and sking + laws creates very small pours Apres) The vibe was fun but dont expect to sit and eat. You might wait over an hour. The snow that morning was amazing...fresh tracks

6. LiquidCourage

Beer Trader

Thanks for the info.

One more question, any places near Mount Snow do growler fills?

7. Flashy

Can't think of anywhere that fills growlers. Hoosick Street in Troy on the way up from the Thruways does. You are more likely to find a place that does that enroute.
    As for bus service in the valley: www.moover.com

8. deanhead

9. madvibes

madvibes Sep 29, 2011 Vermont

If you're coming through Bennington on the way to Mount Snow, you can stop at Northshire Brewery to fill growlers. Really good beer too. I think madison brewing co does them too.

Station Tap Room (open 11-8ish fri-sun) has excellent selection of crafts and it changes sometimes multiple times per day or weekend. Attached is an image of exactly what they've got at the time of this post :)

OMT in west dover has some good stuff on tap, and Apres Vous in wilmington does as well. 7-11 can do kegs, and they also have some good local 22oz bottles. same goes with river valley market in wilmington on the way into town.

if you go further north towards stratton there's a place called Mulemans in jamaica that has a ton of good stuff in bottles too.

[​IMG]

10. deanhead

Shit...They burned throught the Hugh Malone already. I was there Sunday.....damnit, what was I thinking.

11. Flashy

That little produce stand outside of Wilmington on Rt. 100 has a nice little beer selection (I actually liked the Switchback in bottles- ignore it on tap) - for decent prices.

12. LiquidCourage

Beer Trader

I assume discount beverage in Brattleboro is open until at least 10pm?

I'll certainly go to the Station Tap Room if they have BCBS on tap! Thanks for everyone's help. I'll report back as to where I went when I get back next week.

13. deanhead

Don't assume. Call ahead especially for kegs. Hell if you are coming through Brattleboro consider stopping at The Brattleboro food coop if you are passing through before 9pm. They have a terrific selection of beer. Siera Nevada Ovila Dubbel and Golden ale are on sale right now. Riidonkulously cheap 4.99 for 750ml bottles and 6.49 for 500ml four packs.

14. yuppiescum

yuppiescum Jun 4, 2009 Massachusetts

Hey guys, I'm in the area this weekend and wondering if there's any new bottle shops around Snow? I see that Apres Vous seems to be closed. Our hoteliers suggested that the 7-11 nearby may be the best remaining option.

Side note, there are several decent Oktoberfests going on at the ski mountains this weekend. Some pretty good vendors showed up at Stratton yesterday. The Mount Snow one is billed as more German so I'm looking forward to checking it out.

bluehende likes this.
  15. bluehende

bluehende Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

We stopped at the Killington Octoberfest Yesterday. Looked like a nice event til I went to see what beer they were pouring. All AB-Inbev. No thank you.

16. Flashy

Apre Vous now Pizzapalooza, 20 beers on tap but the pours and prices are not as generous as Apre Vous was. Radus in Wilmington has a good selection and even better growler pours. Six German beers plus some decent craft beer pours at Mount Snow, but this probably is a bit late as it ends in two hours.

17. yuppiescum

yuppiescum Jun 4, 2009 Massachusetts

Went to Pizzapalooza last night for dinner actually. Nice selection and good pizza. They have a lot of HT cans on display but none to drink. They're brewing their own too, but didn't have a chance to try it. Beer Naked Brewery.

18. Flashy

Have they started brewing? Honora Winery has been brewing the past couple of months and fills crowlers.

19. AaronF

AaronF Jun 23, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Yes they had one finished batch and one in process downstairs. So yes just started brewing.

Flashy likes this.
  20. FloppyTopper

FloppyTopper Oct 3, 2013 Vermont

The Beverage Den in Bennington does Kegs. Talk with Shane the manager (really knows his beer). They had a few cases of Hill Farmstead Everett the other day - first time I've seen that in SOVT. The Catamount Tap House, Ramuntos, and Pangea Lounge are worth checking out as well in Bennington. If you're coming from the East, Bratt has a better scene than Bennington with the Whetstone, Flat St, the Coop, and Hermit Thrush.

OGShotzy and Flashy like this.
  21. BrittEBurke

BrittEBurke Events Manager Apr 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Staff Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

If you are at Mount Snow itself, the Bullwheel is the bar at the summit and they have a great draft list! You have to take the chair lift up there (and I believe pay a fee for chairlift access), but when I was there in August they had a few Hill Farmstead beers on tap along with some other great Vermont offerings. Their hours might be a bit restricted given the time of year, but worth looking into.

OGShotzy likes this.
  22. Flashy

The Bullwheel does have one of the best draft lists in Southern VT, and one of the few places in Southern VT that gets HF (Whetstone does as well). Had the IPA from Beer Naked yesterday and it was pretty OK.

#22 Flashy, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    OGShotzy likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe