Mouthfeel

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by hoptualBrew, Mar 2, 2018.

1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,022) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Have you ever done a 'split batch' where a portion of the beer was kegged (forced carbonation) and the other portion was bottled conditioned? If so, did you notice a difference in the qualities of those two beers?

Cheers!

2. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Aspirant (219) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

I do this once or twice per year when I make big batches for festivals. The two halves do indeed taste slightly different... but I cannot say for sure which one is "better" or "worse" than the other. It would be in the eye of the beerholder anyway. For instance, until last week I had both kegged and bottled Scottish 60/- from the same batch, and I tasted them side by side a couple of times. I think I prefer the bottles this time around... but I have a hard time explaining why... and I'm not sure I would say the same conclusion applies to every batch. I think it's more a flavor thing than mouthfeel anyway. The body and head properties are pretty much identical I think. But the kegged version tastes a little bit metallic, and the bottled version contains a little more yeast but tastes "cleaner"? Something like that.

Is one method truly better than the other? Heh. I'd probably have to try this 100 times then take the average. I imagine the split might be 52/48, i.e., who cares.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,022) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Well, you might be interested in reading Weedy's (@honkey) thoughts on this topic:

“The argument in favor of bottle conditioned beers is that there is a fuller mouthfeel. Before people jump on the "carbonation is carbonation no matter where it comes from" train, maybe that is true, maybe it isn't, but what is true is that when you put pressure on yeast, it behaves differently and creates different compounds which can enhance the mouthfeel. In addition to that, at Doemens Academy where my class was being taught mostly by teachers that had completed a 7 year program at Weihenstephan, even there we were taught that bottle conditioned beer resulted in a finer carbonation which scrubs the tongue better than force carbonated beer. I personally have never seen studies that have measured the size of co2 bubbles, but for those of you that argue bubble size, at least those master brewers from the most esteemed brewing school in the world agreed with your argument. I'm not going to touch that part of the argument, but I will say that the compounds from natural carbonation enhance the mouthfeel.”

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/help-with-my-neipa.510401/page-2#post-5472336

Cheers!

dmtaylor likes this.
  4. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Aspirant (219) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

Meh. I remain skeptical until I can review said "studies". But thanks for the input. I'll keep on the lookout for anything scientific like that and review if it actually exists and is presented.

JackHorzempa likes this.