Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Moved to Nashville, from Michigan... Need suggestions!!

Discussion in 'South' started by Roman5150, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roman5150

Roman5150 Mar 29, 2013 Spain

Hello BA....

My first post, I just moved down to Tennessee from Michigan, and the worst part is I've only recently become a beer "advocate"... Timing couldn't have been worse. I went to school in Kalamazoo, so while not an avid craft beer drinker per se, I've been regularly drinking Bells and Founders basically my whole life... it's nice to see my favorite beer, Two-Hearted, get so much love on here.

I've been living here for about a year (Murfreesboro, about 30 miles south of Nashville), and the selection is pretty horrible. Especially moving from beer heaven to here...The tax laws in this state are horrendous, and the fact you can only buy beer over 6.2% (seriously, they couldn't at least round up to 7%?) at a liquor store is devastating; the few liquor stores that actually have craft beer, it just sits there. On my quest for a decent bottle shop I would regularly find Stone IPAs dated from early 2011, basically everything is old as hell, no chance at finding any IPAs here, everything is sort of feux-aged since no one seems to drink good beer where I live. I did end up finding a great shop, Stones River Total Beverages, they are knowledgeable and have a decent selection, but it's still not anything great.

Sorry for that rant, but what are some good brews/breweries that have distribution in Nashville, that aren't necessarily available in Michigan? The selection here is completely different than what I grew up looking at, I feel lost at the store everytime. I'm sick of driving 1.5 hours to Kentucky to grab Bells and Dogfishhead... I've recently become a hophead, and have been buying everything from Stone, Lagunitas, and some Green Flash (Palate Wrecker and West Coast IPA). I also love the local Nashville brewery Yazoo (SUE is amazing, and the Hefeweizen is uniquely awesome), but they don't have many high ABV offerings. Same with Blackstone (Nashville), but their Hop Bomb is amazing. Besides that I regularly drink Sweetwater and Oskar Blues. I also love stouts, and basically anything with a high ABV... I like everything. I just need some new stuff to drink.

2. semibaked

semibaked Mar 27, 2007 Kentucky

Drive up to Bowling Green, KY. We get Founders, Bells, Three Floyds, Dogfish Head, Dark Horse, etc. Winos Depots is your best bet, imho.

3. Mississipping

Mississipping Mar 16, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

As someone who moved from a beer mecca to a beer hell (Mississippi), I'd recommend giving up on finding old gems and celebrate the locals. Yazoo, as you mentioned, has some great stuff and is about to roll out some sour offerings at their Embrace the Funk event on May 5th. The Yazoo guys are incredible and do everything they can to satisfy southern BAs. I'm not very familiar with the Nashville area, but have travelled through a few times in the last year. I'd also highly recommend Calfkiller Brewing. Though they don't bottle/can, they should be readily available in the Nashville area on tap.

Since you're only an hour or so from the Calfkiller brewery, I'd HIGHLY recommend swinging by if you get a chance. I made a stop there last November and was thoroughly impressed with the modest, yet impressive facility, the selection of beers, and the brewers themselves. They gave my wife and I a full-fleged tour and tasting and their beers were fantastic. They also have a great merchandise selection, so despite having fewer options than you would have in Michigan, they will live up to your brewery visit expectations.

Make the trip to KY when you get a chance (I travel outside of MS for beer as often as I can), but embrace the locals for what they are, and definitely get to know the local brewers. They'll take care of you and will make you appreciate what you have available much more than simply shopping at local bottle shops or liquor stores.

On a side note, then next time you're in KY, stop by Country Boy Brewing. You won't be disappointed!

Roman5150 likes this.
  4. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Apr 25, 2006 Alabama

You're a couple of hours from Huntsville, AL. There's a bunch of Alabama breweries as well as a lot of national and regional breweries available in places like the Stem and Stein, Liquor Express, or The Nook.

5. tronto

tronto Dec 22, 2010 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

here's a suggestion. Move back to Michigan.

cysiam, sullenbee, Roman5150 and 2 others like this.
  6. TheBishopco

TheBishopco Feb 4, 2011 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Isn't Southern Tier in Tennessee now? It's been a while since I've been home.

But like Mississipping said, celebrate the locals. There certainly is good beer to be found, just not in the same numbers you were used to. Although it might be a bit harder since you're in Murfreesboro and just that much further from everything. Also, check out Turtle Anarchy in Franklin. I haven't had anything from them yet, but I've only heard good things.

You'd be surprised at how much better the distribution has gotten in Tennessee, even just within the last year.

7. harperman69

harperman69 Feb 11, 2009 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

The reason why you don't see high ABV TN brewed beers is because we require a distillers license, completely stupid. I believe that Yazoo is the only one that acquired one. And why didn't they round it to 7.0%? Because it is an even 5.0% ABW.

Also I believe Blackstone's awesome hoppy beer is called Adam Bomb.

8. Foamykeg

Foamykeg Jan 24, 2013 Tennessee

I have a ton for you. I am also living in Murfreesboro. I usually buy from Frugal McDoogal and Midtown Wine and Spirits in Nashville. Both have the freshest selection. If you want Bells, Founders, etc., you need to hit Bowling Green or Huntsville. You could even hop down to Chattanooga, drive another 15 minutes into Ft. Oglethorpe, GA, and go to Beverage World. As far as local beers, there is a brewery in Murfreesboro called Mayday you might want to check out. Other locals are Yazoo, Boscos, Blackstone, Calfkiller, Fat Bottom, Jackalope, Turtle Anarchy, Cool Springs Brewery, Jubilee, Rock Bottom, and a few new ones not yet open, like Little Harpeth, Czann, Black Abbey, and TN Brew Works. It is really a great, young, upcoming scene here. Also, check out Filling Station and Craft Brewed. They are growler fill businesses that get some great stuff. I think that covers it????

Josiah2729, elgiacomo and Roman5150 like this.
  9. Foamykeg

Foamykeg Jan 24, 2013 Tennessee

Oh, forgot to add. If you go in the wine side of a store, you will likely find the DIPA and IPAs. TN has Lagunitas, Southern Tier, Stone, Oskar Blues, Terrapin, etc., but they are mostly on the wine/hard liquor side of the store. Straight to Ale, out of Huntsville, also has a great can IPA called Monkeynaut. It is sold in TN, but you have to go to the wine side of the store to find it.

Roman5150 likes this.
  10. RobM77

RobM77 Feb 14, 2013 Illinois

Busters is OK. I was there about 4 weeks ago. Picked up a bottle of Anubis, but haven't had it yet As you already know, high ABV beers are only sold in the liquor stores. Good news to that is, when you go to a liquor store, that's what you'll find!

As another poster mentioned... move back to Michigan!!!!! Awesome beers up there!

11. STKPICR0720

STKPICR0720 Mar 16, 2011 Alabama

Huntsville has a few breweries that you'll want to check out. Yazoo and jackalope Brewery are great out if Nashville. Other than that make sure you drive back to Michigan when you visit so you can load up and bring great brews back.

12. Roman5150

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have a lot of new stuff to try it looks like! Will tide me over for another 3 weeks until i make a trip back to michigan, driving this time so I can fill my trunk with Two-Hearted!

13. sommersb

sommersb May 25, 2010 Tennessee
    Subscriber

You can get Two Hearted in Bowling Green, KY -- not too far from Nashville :)

14. Roman5150

Yea i'm about 40 minutes south of Nashville, so it's like 1.5 hours to Bowling Green, easily doable but its annoying every time I want beer. And being from Michigan, I was completely unaware the last time I drove up there, was on a Sunday (no alcohol sales). Not making that mistake again.

15. Volntitan

Volntitan May 18, 2008 Tennessee

Plenty of good beer that is sold here that can tide you over. Just because it isn't sold here doesn't make it better ;)

16. Roman5150

I could argue with you on that ;)... but i'll just be optimistic and say it seems to be improving rapidly. i'm movign to Spain for a year in july, and by the time I get back hopefully Founder's will be here and others as well. I recently discovered DFH was here as little as two years ago but they pulled?

17. Volntitan

Yes dogfish pulled from here and a number of states because they couldn't keep up with sales, so to speak. My point is many of those in the beer community are more concerned about getting beer they can't get rather than enjoying the beer they can get. Would it be great to get more brands? Sure it would. But stone, Lagunitas, southern tier, green flash, sn, flat 12, sta, etc. all make some great beer. Having family in Michigan, I've visited plenty of breweries. And they were great (especially shorts and one in grand haven whose name escapes me), but it still amazes me with the beers already here and the new breweries opening up (btw...check out cool springs brewery and turtle anarchy in franklin area) that folks keep complaining. Ad not directing that at you, you just got here ;). I agree that our laws are stupid, but we are changing them. We just had a new tax law changed that should help new brewers start up and make it easier for new ones to distribute here. When founders gets here (and it is coming), the some will still continue to complain, so I don't think that ever will end. I will say the "I can't get it, so have to have it" is helpful when I go to other states...Yazoo and terrapin are like crack for trading sometimes :)

18. 5thOhio

5thOhio May 13, 2007 South Carolina

No offense there, pard, but if the OP said "I'm sick of driving 1.5 hours to Kentucky..." I'm not sure he'd want to drive a couple of hours to Huntsville.

19. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Apr 25, 2006 Alabama

sometimes a change is as good as a rest... that's my answer and I am sticking to it ;)

20. Volntitan

You can get Straight to Ale and Blue Pants here, both of which are from the Huntsville area.

21. craft_shannie

craft_shannie Nov 9, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Having family in Michigan, I've visited plenty of breweries. And they were great (especially shorts and one in grand haven whose name escapes me),

Odd Side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe