Moving from Michigan to Chicago

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by cryptichead, May 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cryptichead

cryptichead Poo-Bah (1,819) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Moving to Chicago this summer. I am a little familiar with the Chicago beer scene, but:

(1) What are the IL/Chicago breweries or beers that you would highly recommend (besides the obvious 3 Floyds, Pipeworks, Revolution)?
    (2) Any awesome IL/Chicago seasonals that are coming up?
    (3) Anything out of MI that does not get distro that I should stock up on?

Generally, I drink and like everything, but my preferences are pilsners, IPAs and roasty stouts/porters.

Thanks for your suggestions!

2. kevanb

kevanb Poo-Bah (2,683) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

(1) Spiteful and Mikerphone
    (2) After Galactic Double Daisy Cutter, nothing super significant, just be prepared to stand in long lines or race after trucks
    (3) Kuhnhenn, Odd Sides and Perrin

Welcome, our distribution footprint is huge but the scene here is out of control, just find a good bar that has good stuff and don't get your hopes up to get any seasonals, they fly off shelves

cryptichead and Born_A_Jee like this.
  3. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,131) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Second what @kevanb said. Chicago has one of the best, if not the best distribution in the country, but the beer nerds here are the absolute worst (and I say that as one of them). Lines for anything and everything, almost every good beer event is packed, etc. That being said, fantastic city, fantastic beer to be had here. Welcome and enjoy!

beerbelly_mike and cryptichead like this.
  4. kodt

kodt Defender (662) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

We do get Odd Side Ales here, started distro here same time as Shorts.

cryptichead likes this.
  5. cryptichead

Society Trader

I have always been jealous of the distribution that Illinois gets. Now I get to enjoy it first hand!

I was a little concerned that Short's or Brewery Vivant won't get distro, but I saw both at Binny's on a recent trip

6. cryptichead

Society Trader

As a follow up question: anybody knows of bottle stores (around central Chicago) where you can break apart any 4 or 6-pack? So far I've only seen mixed six-pack options at Binny's or other supermarkets, but those are just for select few?

I got used to being able to break apart any 4/6 pack in my MI bottle stores.

Thanks!

7. kodt

kodt Defender (662) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Most stores don't do it, but Bottles & Cans does, and I think Capone's does as well.

SeanBond likes this.
  8. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,131) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I think the Beer Temple has a "make your own" option, but as with Binny's (and Whole Foods, and Jewel) it's a pretty limited selection of beers (I don't bother with them mixed 6-packs for that reason).

Beermiscuous on Lincoln allows you to buy by the bottle, I think, so that might be another good choice.

9. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 Initiate (186) Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

You don't have to purchase the entire mix 6pk at Binny's, they let you purchase those singles for $2 each. If there is a single that you want, but do not see, just ask and they may let you do it (not advertised). There are other stores that may allow the same.

10. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Zealot (505) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Small world, I'm moving to the area in like 3 weeks. This one of the big things I'll miss about MI. I have 5 stores within a short drive that allow you to buy practically anything in the store as a single.

cryptichead likes this.
  11. RexKramer

RexKramer Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2011 Illinois

Archer Liquors lets you grab a single of any beer in the place.

12. cryptichead

Society Trader

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Do you know of any places around the Loop or Near West Side?
    Small world indeed. I know I've been pretty spoiled with just grabbing singles and breaking up packs. Hopefully better distro and availability of new stuff to try will overshadow inability to grab singles :slight_smile:

13. ahq514

ahq514 Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2010 Illinois

Warehouse Liquors is the best place near the loop. There is a Binny's in South Loop. Whole Foods in West and South Loop as well.

14. cryptichead

Society Trader

Thanks for the recommendations!

15. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,262) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Warehouse Liquors is great as is Binny's South Loop - those used to be my go to stores before I moved.

For downtown/loop area, there is a Binny's on Grand and Franklin just north of the loop. Plenty of Whole Foods and Jewel Osco in the west loop/River North areas. (The downtown Jewels have a much better craft selection than you'd expect.)

16. cryptichead

Society Trader

I wanted to revive this thread: I'm all moved in now and have been enjoying Revolution, Pipeworks, Off Color, Two Brothers, and other good IL stuff. But I'm still struggling to find THE bottle store for me. My main preference is to be able to buy any single bottle and break apart any 4/6 pack to mix and match.

Is there anything around West Loop/Wicker Park/Logan Square neighborhoods? I've already checked out Binny's, Whole Foods, Jewel, Gentile's, Madison Vine Wines...

Thanks for all your responses!

17. croush

croush Champion (805) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

It's a bit north of the area you mentioned, but go to the Beer Temple. I think your search will end there.

Honestly, I use a variety of shops for my beer purchases. Binny's Lincoln Park is #1 because I drive by it every day (I'd recommend this if you're willing to travel a little east on North Avenue just past the river). Beer Temple is #2. After those, I still hit up Binny's Lakeview, Binny's Grand, Printer's Row Wine Shop, Capone's, Whole Foods (Lincoln Park, Lakeview & Halsted), West Lakeview Liquors and just yesterday bought something at Bottles & Cans for the first time. I guess I like to spread the love around.

cryptichead likes this.
  18. jlpyp

jlpyp Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2016 Ohio

Bottles and Cans is the best place for mix and match. They have a minimum of 4 bottles rule but after that you can get as many singles as you want and the best part being of course that you can pick anything off the shelves to break up.

cryptichead likes this.
  19. croush

croush Champion (805) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Oops, I missed the breaking apart packs portion. It's so rare here I never consider it. Good to know B&C offers it.

FBarber likes this.
  20. beerbelly_mike

beerbelly_mike Initiate (0) May 19, 2016 Illinois

I think your best options are going to be a bit further north of what you said.

Beermiscuous, if I am correct, sells everything in single bottles. It is 2812 N. Lincoln

Also, because I always have to shout this place out for having great selections (create your own six pack is very limited though) if you are new to chicago, you need to check out Bitter Pops in Roscoe Village/Lakeview.

SeanBond and cryptichead like this.
  21. DooDooBrwn

DooDooBrwn Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2016 Illinois

Treasure Island on Clyborn in Lincoln Park has limited options for mix and match but it's a GREAT DEAL - any 6 for $9.99.

Last week I put together: (CANS) Double Fist Clencher, Two from Temperance, Revo Fist, (BOTTLES) Deshuttes Vanilla Porter, Dog F 60 min. Again, a little mainstream but amazing deal for 9.99 mix and match.

cryptichead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.