Moving....stemware advice?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Masters, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masters

Masters Zealot (559) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Hey how's it's going guys, I'm moving about 30 minutes from my current place. What's your best advice for packing all my glasses? Thanks in advance!

2. Kappakoosh

Kappakoosh Disciple (307) Dec 26, 2013 Texas

Have someone else drive, pour a beer for the trip and make enough trips so you don't have to pack them :grinning:

3. Kinsman

Kinsman Champion (880) Aug 26, 2009 Nevada

A cardboard box, bubble wrap, packing peanuts if you got them. I use t-shirts or other clothing around the bubble wrap as well.

4. stephens101

stephens101 Poo-Bah (2,756) May 5, 2006 Oklahoma
    Society

I've done that kind of move with about 75 glasses a couple of times in the last few years. Cardboard box, lots of newspaper, and place in vehicle and drive carefully. People tend to over pack when moving short distances and waste too much time. It's not like you're sending it cross country by Fedex, which is a whole different matter.

#4 stephens101, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    SammyJaxxxx and Masters like this.
  5. Masters

Alright cool thanks. Ya that's what I was thinking too, just didn't know if there was something simple and less tedious I wasn't thinking of since I have about that much

6. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,902) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

The wine case boxes, and use some tissue wrap for each glass or snow pellets.

7. BurgeoningBrewhead

BurgeoningBrewhead Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

I move my entire glassware collection (~30 different styles of glass) between home and school each year; I layer them in a large box with a fleece blanket layered in between them. I've never had a problem. If I'm really worried, I'll put a sock around each one as well. Just put the sock as-is into the glass, then turn it inside-out over the glass.

bozodogbreath and Masters like this.
  8. Preluderl

Preluderl Zealot (508) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I moved in May and I used a large plastic storage bin. Each glass wrapped in bubble, filled the box with packing peanuts.

9. TWITA

TWITA Initiate (38) Feb 9, 2014 California

10. something_is_brewing

something_is_brewing Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2014 Massachusetts

best option, ask your local for or to save several 750ml and 220z boxes with the dividers left in them. Once you get them, put the glasses in them as if they were bottles. Then move the boxes like the other boxes. Just did this about a year ago. Worked excellent.

bozodogbreath likes this.
  11. Kerrie

Kerrie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2012 Michigan

We moved last May and we packed all of our glasses in a normal box with bubble wrap on every other glass, and newspaper or something like that in between the bubble wrapped ones. We didn't lose any glasses, even though the roads were filled with potholes and absolutely the worst. Unless it's a super thin or limited edition glass, I wouldn't worry too much.

12. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (491) Mar 5, 2014 New York

I used t-shirts to wrap glasses when I moved around in younger days ... the wine case boxes are good idea if you can get those from liquor store

13. Masters

Damn the socks idea was great. I happen to sell wholesale clothing so I have a bunch. And what didn't fit in the two boxes I in a bomber box. Combined two ideas on here :sunglasses:. Thanks for the help!

WasupBeerQueen likes this.
  14. BeerHistoryGuy

BeerHistoryGuy Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2014 Illinois

I think you have plenty of good suggestions, already, but I'll chime in. If you go to Binny's or any large liquor store, they usually have wine boxes as well as plenty of larger-type beer boxes. Those work well. When I've moved mine, I not only wrap them in socks and in the cases, but I make sure to move them in my car, by myself; no risk of the boxes getting smashed in a truck or someone else's car.

Other than that, I think everyone else covered it.

15. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,422) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Moved a bunch of times. Treat them just like other dishes, lots of newspaper wrapping and packed cardboard boxes is perfectly fine.

16. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Pad the bottom, and the sides. Wrap, and stuff.
    So long as the glasses are in suspension and aren't able to come in contact with one another you can pretty much handle the box however you want.

17. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Poo-Bah (1,848) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society Trader

See if you can find an Andre champagne box. Thick cardboard and your glasses should fit snugly in the bottle slots.

18. ColForbinBC

ColForbinBC Poo-Bah (2,465) Sep 9, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

I just did the same thing. Bubble wrap around each glass, no peanuts. No problems.

19. vfgccp

vfgccp Poo-Bah (4,037) Oct 28, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I moved about an hour away last weekend, all I did was wrap them in bubble wrap or newspaper when I ran out of wrap, then put them into multiple boxes due to having so many glasses. No issues whatsoever.

20. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Meyvn (1,214) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I've always used old socks and had no issues. Just slide the glass inside the sock and you're done.

Masters likes this.
  21. thegoon55

thegoon55 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2012 Massachusetts

if you go to home depot they have boxes specifically made for moving glasses. I moved about 100 glasses from SC to MA without any breaking

22. Masters

ya the socks thing worked like a charm. no need to fuss with wrapping each in bubble wrap paper etc throw it in the sock...next. i would only invest money in something better if i was going a long distance.

23. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Oregon

Put beer in them, toast the old place. throw them in the fireplace and break them, buy new one for the new place.

24. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

25. boney77

boney77 Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2008 Canada (ON)

I moved across the country (Canada) twice, first moving 170, then 250 glasses. First was mostly divided beer boxes with packing paper, which was a beast in terms of both packing time and space. Second was loose in large boxes with lots of packing paper, bubble wrap and foam (heavy glasses on the bottom, a full foot of packed cushion of whatever material on top....kind of a crumple zone) which was more manageable. No breakages either time. IMO, the beer box dividers are a little more secure and worthwhile if you have a small to medium collection. Anything over about 50-60 glasses though is time and space prohibitive.

26. FaradayUncaged

FaradayUncaged Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Michigan

We just recently moved and we packed each individual glass with newspaper (inside glasses) and taped a bubble wrap sheet around each one. It was painstaking, but for a 160+ voyage and having them all survive was definitely worth the time.

27. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (473) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I moved just a couple months ago, similar distance. I just wrapped most of mine in packing paper (or newspaper) and into a box. Made sure to label the box with what it was and 'fragile.' Didn't lose a single one. A previous move I went to the store that was known for giving away glasses, and asked for some empties. Got a couple boxes that are now the home of most of my shaker pints. Last was as others said, a couple wine boxes with dividers, that hold most of our wine glasses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.