Moving to Fresno...is it really that bad?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by busternuggz, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. busternuggz

busternuggz Zealot (528) Mar 9, 2008 California

Been reading up on the beer shops, bars and such in Fresno here on BA. From the reviews it seems like BevMo is the best store in town (and even they apparently don't get great distribution) and there's a couple of moderately reviewed local breweries and bars.

What's the deal Fresno? Do you get by ok or do you have to go out of town to get the goods? Anybody been to The Fort? It seems legit but no reviews here yet.

2. FunkyMacGroovin

FunkyMacGroovin Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 California

Fresyes!

It really is that bad.

swolepeer, EdTheEdge and cgentzkow like this.
  3. booglez

booglez Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2008 California

Sorry bro......

4. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 California

Having a bad beer selection is very far down on the list of things which make Fresno "that bad".

5. w_klon

w_klon Initiate (183) Aug 1, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

So true, haha

6. Trio2shine

Trio2shine Devotee (445) Nov 15, 2011 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It really depends on where you're coming from. Is it a complete shit hole when compared to the bay area or SD? Absolutely. There is a growing effort to bring in more and more (seems to be the case everywhere, right?). Your best bet for bottles in my experience is Whole Foods, BevMo, Spokeasy, and Das Bierhaus. There are little hole in the walls that you'll walk into and still find reserve series FW brews but not much else. Not to say the above listed (Spokeasy) won't get in the occasional case of Cantillon or other rare brews but they are few and far between.

The Fort is a bit of an up and comer but they don't carry anything not showing up at the other places listed above. They do however always have a solid selection of what is distributed here and the kid running it has every intention to bring in as much as he possibly can. As for bars, BC's and Spokeasy are the way to go in my opinion. Loving craft and living here I make the best of it with regular trades and trips up and down the state. If you're into home brewing shoot me a BM.

7. cgentzkow

cgentzkow Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2009 California

These posts are killing me! I've spent a lot of time up there, and it isn't as bad as most Californians make it out to be. We love to make fun of the Central Valley.. But they do have some amazing mountains! As far as beer is concerned trio2shine ^^ seems to know. I would also recommend checking out Eureka Burger (great food and taps) and check out sequoia brewing co, I remember liking a few there... If you ever see anything from Kern River Brew co., buy it! We used to get it in so cal, but it now sells faster than Pliny... I love me some Kern!

Trio2shine likes this.
  8. busternuggz

busternuggz Zealot (528) Mar 9, 2008 California

Thanks for the feedback. I've actually been to Kern River (but they were out of Citra DIPA when I was there : / ), they do make some solid stuff. And I like mountains, so there's that.

9. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (257) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

No chance you'll be seeing kern river in Fresno.

10. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Initiate (132) Jan 12, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

You'd be surprised to know that Visalia was one of the first places to ever get Kern River on tap outside of KRBC... well before the boom and craze for Citra.... Also, Kern River bottles make it to Visalia and Fresno sporadically, Visalia more so (Howies Pizza, Pita Kabob).

Regarding Fresno - Speakeasy, FBC, BC's, Das Bier Haus, Eureka Burger... they all get a ton of special beers in. Speakeasy and BCs have different brews on draft DAILY...almost never the same lineup.

Compared to SF and SD, yeah it's a hard comparison.....against every other city Fresno competes just fine, surprising as it may seem.

The distribution channels have really opened up over the last year as more bars have up, making it easier for one-offs and special beers to make their way to Fresno area bars.

SubpoenaDeuces and DovaliHops like this.
  11. danscott

danscott Aspirant (237) Jul 15, 2006 California

Yes. Sorry. :(

abecall98 likes this.
  12. opwog

opwog Defender (663) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

13. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Poo-Bah (1,565) Oct 19, 2010 California

I'm from Fresno (well, Clovis) originally, but moved to the Bay Area after high school. I recently went home to recover from surgery for a couple of months, and I was pleased to see that the beer scene was a lot better than I remembered from past trips. Sequoia is still the only decent (not great by any means) brewery, but BC and Spokeasy are legit beer bars. Spokeasy even tapped kegs of New Belgium Cocoamole and Logsdon Oak Aged Bretta, which I consider decently rare beers, while I was there.
    Unfortunately, the bottle selection is another story. Whole Foods, followed by BevMo, are still the best bottle shops, and there's not good enough distribution for an independent craft beer-centric shop to really carve out its place yet. Wine Warehouse, one of the biggest distributors in Northern California, only sends. Half their catolog to a local partner who distributes in the valley. Stuff I take for granted, such as Duchess du Burgogne, never makes it. The exception is that Firestone Walker considers the valley its local territory and keeps the area pretty stocked with seasonal and limited releases, which is nice. Also, KRBC is relatively close, which can't be understated.

14. MastaShonuf

MastaShonuf Devotee (493) Jan 21, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Yep...what they all said. Well in about 2 hours you can get to a lot of places...okay 2.5 hours.

15. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Aspirant (255) Feb 14, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

No it's not as bad as you've heard. It's worse.

16. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Devotee (442) Apr 17, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

17. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 California

I'd live in Fresno before the Bay Area. I have to go SF ( Sunset District ) to visit in laws a lot and SF is one of the nastiest, dirtiest shitholes I've ever been to.

18. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Poo-Bah (1,565) Oct 19, 2010 California

Ya, but we're talking about the beer here. Hate to say it, but the Bay Area takes it beer-wise (although I think the East Bay's scene is becoming a lot better than San Francisco proper's recently).

19. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (257) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Possibly the wildest thing I've ever read on the world wide webz.

20. evilc

Totally wild, bro. Unless you agree that 150 year old crumbling infrastructure, bums, tiny dump houses suck.

baycat likes this.
  21. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Initiate (177) Aug 9, 2011 California

Yes, cause if we've learned anything since the recession it's that McMansions in the Central Valley are totally where it's at. People want to move to San Francisco, they are forced to move to Fresno.

22. baycat

baycat Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

With you on that. I would chose Bakersfield over any Bay Area city. Bakersfield has diversity, world class cuisine, education system, job market, public parks, access to public transportation, bike lanes, scenic views, proximity to Tahoe for skiing and coast for surfing. I could go on and on!

23. AptosBeerDrinker

Don't forget Oildale.

EdTheEdge and Rau71 like this.
  24. evilc

I live in San Diego. I don't know anyone here who wants to move to SF. Most people don't like spending $750k on a 1200 sq foot dump built in 1910. We also have this thing called "awesome weather" here!

As for public transportation, LOL. Don't need/want it. That's for poor people. Luckily SD was built with roads and parking =) I don't have to ride with TB infected bums.

25. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Initiate (55) Apr 16, 2005 California

You're the worst.

26. evilc

Thanks bro. Just think BaY AreA "elitism" is hilarious. The place is a dump. Good food isn't worth everything else that comes with it. I also die of lack of breweries and good beer bars when up there. Wow, City Beer Store. Cool. Been there.

27. Beerandraiderfan

Beerandraiderfan Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2009 Nevada

Hopefully the improving beer scene in Fresno will take your mind off of the worsening gang scene in Fresno. Because the Fresno Bulldogs (not the university) aren't affiliated with nortes or surenos, they seem to be even more ruthless and arbitrary in the victims they pick, as if it somehow validates that they aren't 'wannabes' and are 'real' gangstaz or whatnot. . .

Anyways, you guys bragging about who has the cooler concrete jungle crack me up. My family has moved out of both the bay area and SD at different times, by choice.

I love to come back and visit (and buy beer!), do it many times a year, but I'll go ahead and enjoy not paying state income tax and so many other freedoms that CA doesn't allow.

28. MssrTussaud

MssrTussaud Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2013 California

I love San Diego, but do you have any employers besides the Navy and Qualcomm? Last I looked, there's a serious dearth of skilled jobs down there.

If you can't afford to live in SF, does that make you poor people? ;)

29. evilc

Agree, CA sucks. SD is the least shitty major city here, but still sucks.

30. evilc

Yes. I don't work for the Navy or Qualcomm. San Diego has thousands of small and medium businesses. Not many large corporations, which is a good thing. If you enjoy working for a corporation with 20,000 people, SD may not be your thing. Plenty of highly skilled positions here in IT, Biotech, Medical, and other tech.

As an example, we are looking to hire a current CCIE: Voice offering competitive benefits and $190k base salary. 26 employee small business. San Fran salary in a nicer area with lower cost of living.

31. MssrTussaud

Nice. I'm pretty fed up with Bay Area traffic and cost of living, myself. Definitely looking into the feasibility of moving.

32. evilc

I'm there around 15 days a year and want to hang myself by the time I leave..

33. AptosBeerDrinker

Classic.

34. rrryanc

rrryanc Disciple (310) May 19, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

I lived in San Diego for five years or so up until 2 years ago. I'll be the first person to agree with you that it's the nicest city in the state, and for me probably the nation. The beer scene is by far and away better there than the bay area.

That said, you seem to be lumping in entire bay area into the Sunset District of SF. That'd be like me heading to El Cajon, hitting downtown SD a few times, then calling the entire place a touristy shithole. If you'd rather live in Fresno than somewhere in the bay area, you either hate people or are doing life wrong...

And while San Diego has thousands of small and medium businesses, Silicon Valley is still where it's at if you're in the tech industry - there's simply no comparison, unfortunately.

35. evilc

I'd rather be here in IT. Not a rat race. You are nobody in SV unless at the top which means you work too much.

I'd rather work 40 hours in SD for an 80 hour SV salary. You can keep the "glory" of working for one of those monsters with no job security.

36. rrryanc

Beer Trader

You're comically misinformed.

Glory? I'm not trying to be anybody but me. No idea where you inferred that from. The tech job market in San Diego is far, far weaker than it is in the Bay Area. While I really wish this wasn't true, it is.

I work the same number of hours here as I did in San Diego. Actually less, because I'm less invested in this "larger" company than the 10-person company I worked for in SD. And the job security is the same here, plus that's something only old people care about...

37. evilc

Actually it's something most over 25 care about when they start to have families. I suppose if you are "IT_Employee_005" making $70k I wouldn't care, plenty of those positions. Climb the ladder, job security is important.

Please detail how I am "comically misinformed"? I work heavily with many people in the Elite SilICON VaLLEy. My comments are their comments. "Employees" at major corporations are nothing. Good thing you are so awesome though you can land an equal high paying job at a whim to what you have now. Funny - the unemployment statistics for IT in San Diego are 2%, the lowest in the State. Seems the Bay Area has LESS tech jobs available when you factor in the size of the pool.

I bought a '10 GT500 3 years ago as a daily driver for work. My boss ( small business owner ) out of the blue bought a new company truck and gave it to me so I wouldn't have to put miles on the Shelby. Would NVIDIA do this for a less than Director level position? Google? Apple? Cisco?

Rat race. Enjoy =)

PS: I am up there at times. Been light this year. Not sure what type of work you do but if you ever need introduced to some heavy players on the Cisco side let me know.

38. MssrTussaud

There's more to tech than IT. What is the overall unemployment in tech in SD? And where did you get the figure?

By the way, a project manager friend of mine at Apple (not even director level) received a signing bonus alone that is more than I make in a year. I don't know where your ideas about big companies come from. The car sounds cool though.

39. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2012 California

you sound like a supreme douchebag

40. rrryanc

Beer Trader

Telling me to climb the ladder and that job security is important while also telling me that it's a rat race? Got a bit of cognitive dissonance going on there?

Since you're throwing out some numbers, I will as well. Only I'm going to back mine up with some citations. Sounds like you're an IT guy.
    San Diego Network and Computer Systems Administrators: 1.19 Location Quotient. Now, anything above 1 means more than the national average, so far, so good for your claims that it's quite common in San Diego.
    San Jose Network and Computer Systems Administrators 1.85 Location Quotient. Hmm, looks like Silicon Valley has nearly twice the national average - that's a bit more, no?

How about the total numbers of jobs in the tech sectors:
    San Diego Computer and Math Occupations: 42,600
    San Diego Architecture and Engineering: 37,750 - so a total of 80,350

San Jose area Computer and Math Occupations: 93,900
    San Jose Arch and Eng: 51,850 - so a total of 145,750

So just San Jose, Sunnyvale and Santa Clara have 65k+ more tech jobs than San Diego. That doesn't include SF and the Peninsula (~82k total), or the east bay (~70k total). Also doesn't include management for all those tech jobs. So not only is the percentage of tech jobs in the area higher, but the overall number is way higher as well.

Listen, I'm jealous that you have a reasonable paying job in San Diego that you like, I really am. My long-term plan is to move back down thataway some day. But it's ridiculous to claim that it's a better place than the bay area to get a job in the tech industry - the numbers and eye test both say otherwise.

MssrTussaud likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.