Mr. Beer - How Much Sugar?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Celtics76, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (623) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

As some of you know, I'm a first time homebrewer using the Mr. Beer kit. In a few days I'll be ready to bottle the Irish Stout (into standard 12 oz. beer bottles) and I'm unsure how much sugar to use per bottle. The instructions aren't clear, and I don't know if it's different depending on style. Should I even be using table sugar?

Thanks!

2. leedorham

leedorham Defender (698) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Table sugar is fine. Just dissolve the sugar in a little water and add it to the whole batch rather than messing with individually dosing the bottles. Make sure you mix it evenly.

Use this calculator
    http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

3. Celtics76

Very helpful..thanks!

4. mattdonders

mattdonders Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2013 New Jersey

If you'd like to do it in the bottle as opposed to doing batch priming, check out the Domino's Dots sugar cubes -- make sure they are the 2.54g version, not the larger version.

12 oz = 1 Domino's Dot
    1L = 3 Domino's Dots

Easy as pie.

5. Celtics76

Stupid question - will the dots dissolve in the beer or should I crush them down first?

Perhaps I'll combine both methods - prepare a solution with the dots.

Thanks!

6. mattdonders

mattdonders Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2013 New Jersey

I just drop the sugar dot right into the bottle before using the bottling wand to fill it up.

The yeast will eat it up no problems. :grinning:

7. Celtics76

Excellent. That will make things easy. Thanks

8. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,416) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Eventually, you may want to be able to control your carbonation levels more precisely, so that you can carbonate 'to style.' That would involve making a sugar solution and mixing it will all the beer (in a bottling bucket) before bottling. Here's a calculator (one of many) that's helpful...

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.