Mr. G's in Plano

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by ballmouse, Apr 6, 2012.

1. ballmouse

ballmouse Mar 23, 2010 New York

I just got an email that seemed to imply Mr. G's is closing. I say imply, because it never really says that they are closing shop. Can anyone confirm this?

If so, I will say the store was really cool and had the best stock of imports in the DFW area (in my opinion of course).

2. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Dec 28, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I think specs bought them out. There's a thread about it on ratebeer

3. crusian

crusian May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

done. they are specs now...

4. briman

briman Aug 25, 2005 Texas

Yes, this has been in the works for about a month. Speculation is Spec's will try to give G's a nod in the new naming somehow, but I'm not sure how much of that to believe.

5. Mora2000

Mora2000 Oct 12, 2007 Texas

As of yesterday (April 5) they are still apparently using the Mr. G's computer system, so the Mr. G's discount card still works (the guy at the register also said it would be a while until the Specs system is put in place, even though Specs already owns them).

One bad thing is that according to one of the guys working the front register, the entire deli staff quit on the same day (right as they were being sold) so the deli is now only open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. He said they are keeping the deli even after the transition is complete and hope to eventually get it back to its normal hours of 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Considering the deli is the best thing about the store, it was good news that they are keeping it.

mattisloco likes this.
  6. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Nov 21, 2008 Texas

+1 on keeping the Deli being good news. I love that "Boston Philly"

7. stephens101

stephens101 May 5, 2006 Oklahoma
    Subscriber Beer Trader

My favorite beer store stop on Big D visits. Hope it doesn't change too much.

8. mattisloco

mattisloco Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

It's a damn sad day... The Deli that was still Mr. G's is gone. I don't know exactly when they axed the menu but it had to be within the last month or so. They say they kept around a couple of the favorites but it falls in line with what the typical Specs deli's have. What was once well over 100 sandwich choices is now down to 15ish.

Tear in my beer, stay hard Mr G's.

9. Cowboys9

Cowboys9 Jan 30, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

Damn, sad news. I used to go to that deli all of the time. Their sandwiches were great.

10. ACGypsy

ACGypsy Mar 24, 2014 Texas

I had forgotten about Mr G's deli. That was some good food!

11. darthvohn

darthvohn Oct 22, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I was in there last week and the full menu was available. There was a sign up saying that they will be closed for remodeling but nothing about being shutdown or converted to a Spec's deli. Did you visit today and an employee say otherwise?

If so, bummer. I eat there at least once a week.

12. mattisloco

mattisloco Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

I went in today and saw this disaster with my own eyes. I don't see any reason for me to ever go to this store again. The guy said they kept a couple, hopefully ones you liked. My Uptown Club is gone and so am I.

13. darthvohn

darthvohn Oct 22, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I had to go check it out myself yesterday. All the Rubens were decimated. I tried the "new" version and it was horrible. Tasteless bread, gristle-laden corned beef, and shitty Vlasic sauerkraut. I usually get there around 11:45AM for lunch, and even then most tables are taken and there is a short line. Yesterday, two tables were taken and no line. That place was awesome. There really is no reason for me to go back now. The beer selection is usually stale anyways.

14. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Nov 21, 2008 Texas

The deli is NOT what it used to be. Very sad. Serve shit and hope no one notices. What a way to run a railroad.

15. flooger847

flooger847 Aug 4, 2011 Texas

I'd have to agree with darthvohn - without the deli, there is absolutely nothing worth me driving 20+ minutes down Coit. The last time we were there (several months back), the deli was still same-old, but the beer department was a bunch of empty shelves with nothing at all of interest to me, which was pretty shocking. I haven't been back since that, but was talking about getting a sandwich there the other day but I guess that's out now too. Shame

16. army01

army01 Feb 25, 2011 Texas

Man...this was a regular stop when I worked in Plano. It's been a year or so since I had been over there, and you could see that the beer department had fallen off, but hate hearing that the deli is gone.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!