Mt Washington trip. North on Rte 3 to 93.

Discussion in 'New England' started by YourDigitalGrave, Sep 13, 2019.

1. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Initiate (28) Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

Looking to stop for lunch and beer. Nashua, Manchester, Concord. I have done some research but it looks like a bit of a beer desert along this route. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated. It has to be relatively close to this route and have good food and passable beer (my wife isn't into beer). Thanks in advance.

jhavs likes this.
  2. dental

dental Devotee (411) Apr 2, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Kettlehead in tilton. it's right off of 93, about 20 minutes north of concord.

SunDevilBeer, jhavs and Piels25 like this.
  3. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,798) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Kettlehead does sound like a great choice for you. Great food and beer. Usually cans to go too.

If you want other options you could head a bit off route to Littleton NH and hit Schilling. Again, great beer and food, a mix of traditional European styles from Schilling and modern styles from their offshoot Resilience.

In Bethelem (not far off your route) there is also Rek-Lis Brewing
    https://www.reklisbrewing.com/

A nice spot in a nice little town. Make some really nice beer and food options..

4. Mickt465

Mickt465 Initiate (156) Sep 12, 2016 New Hampshire
    Trader

Backyard Brewery in Manchester is pretty solid. One of my favorite places in the area.

5. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (634) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Strange Brew and the Thirsty Moose in downtown Manchester have expansive tap lists and decent pub grub.

FrankLloydMike, Mickt465 and jhavs like this.
  6. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Devotee (413) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts

Schilling in Littleton is a must-visit in the White Mountains. I know that's a broad area, but if you're going up I-93, they're right off the highway. Littleton is also a great town to spend some time in.

Backyard Brewery in Manchester is great place to break up the drive. Again, easy to get to from the highway, with very good beer and food.

I love the Strange Brew in downtown Manchester, but not sure if it's the best spot if you're looking for a quick stop on the way to Mt. Washington. I haven't been to Stark Brewing (formerly Milly's) in the Millyard in downtown Manchester in awhile, but Paul Davis has been brewing there for a couple years now and everything he brews is good at a minimum, and often excellent.

tzieser and Mickt465 like this.
  7. yuppiescum

yuppiescum Initiate (45) Jun 4, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Pipe Dreams by Manchester Airport is doing some cool things. Also good in that area is Kelsen.

The beer isn’t as good at the new 603 Beer Hall but it’s a fun location with big open garage bay type windows, a killer patio and good food.

8. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (526) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Great North, Very convenient to I-93, a couple blocks south of the Candia Road exit on Holt Ave. Always great hoppy beers and good pub food. Very good lagers too, when they decide to make them.

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  9. Dukies222001

Dukies222001 Initiate (105) Oct 21, 2016 New Hampshire

I'll second that I go there all the time. Also the New England Tap House in Hooksett for diner. Rek-Lis Brewing is a pretty good beer food combo as well.

Haven't been there yet but just for beer. Spyglass Brewing in Nashua is getting a ton of hype.

Have fun

Mickt465 likes this.
  10. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Initiate (28) Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

Thanks for all of the advice. I should have checked back in since the trip was weeks ago but maybe somebody else will find the info useful.
    I ended up going through VT instead. Stopped in Brattleboro at Whetstone. Good taplist, ok food. I had The Grid from Triple Crossing. Very good.
    The real gem was stopping at River Roost for a quick pour and cans to go. Damn that beer is good.
    I realized I could have hit Big Fatty's for lunch but wanted to stop earlier. The funny thing is our friends stopped at Big Fatty's and didn't notice River Roost. They said they weren't too impressed with the food.

11. Dukies222001

Yup you don't go to Big Fattys for the food. They have decent to not decent BBQ. But their taplist the last 6 months will rival anybody. Whetstone is good food with a good taplist. Big Fattys is ehh food with an amazing taplist.

Glad you went to River Roost. People sometimes think I'm exaggerating how good thier beer is. You won't find much better.

Glad you had a good time!

12. Mickt465

Mickt465 Initiate (156) Sep 12, 2016 New Hampshire
    Trader

Spyglass is legit. Highly recommended.

13. Dukies222001

Yeah that's what I've heard. Definitely be stopping next time the wife wants to hit the Merrimack outlets.