Mug Club 2.0: Craft Brewers Modify Loyalty Programs to Sow Deeper Relationships

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Admin Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Society

Wiffler27 likes this.
  2. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

While I completely understand the allure of these clubs to the patron and to the business, I've never liked them personally.

They're something that's going to make me think "how can I get the most out of my membership?", so it's going to alter my thought process in regards to where I'm drinking on any particular occasion.

I'd rather just drink wherever I want instead of thinking, "Well, I DO have a mug club membership at ____, I should probably just go there."

surfcaster likes this.
  3. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Only club I was ever a part of was Portsmouth's imperial pint club. Enjoyed a few imperial pours with Dave Dionne himself. Loved the big pours, but the Portsmouth holiday party was the best perk.

Bierman9 and Badfish like this.
  4. socon67

socon67 Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

I've never joined a brewery club, mainly because I feel I try many different beers and wouldn't get the return on joining one.

I see what Bruery and Cigar City do, and from the outside they look like there is a value. Beyond that, if I lived close to a brewery I liked, it would make more sense.

5. Giantspace

Giantspace Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Unless I lived in walking distance I am not joining any beer club. It's for drinking and if I can't walk home I don't want to pay$ to be in a club that is about drinking.

The original person described in this article drives a good distance to drink 20oz pints of a high alcohol beer. Makes no sense.

Enjoy

archiebunkerjr and aleyeast like this.
  6. aleyeast

aleyeast Sep 15, 2004 South Carolina

You are not rewarding loyalty when you charge $50 and up for membership. Am I the only one who understands this.

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  7. Stagester

Stagester Oct 22, 2013 Idaho

Maybe because they get back more than the $50????

There is a reason why these programs are popular. It helps to sustain the brewery and the members get special perks not available to everyone else. You may not want that and that's ok, most of the breweries I know have them and they have a limited membership and are usually reupped every year by over 90% so the members obviously see the value in membership.

Bierman9 likes this.
  8. Squire

Squire Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

In the overall scheme of things $50.00 isn't that much for a membership though I wouldn't drive to down Imperial pints.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  9. EvenMoreJesus

Very true. If they were rewarding loyalty, they'd buy their repeat customers a beer once in a while or give them swag. As it is, they're selling the "esteem" of being a part of the greater whole of the brewery family. Some people like to belong, I guess.

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  10. Squire

Squire Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I believe everybody likes to belong, even if it's to the group that refuse to join.

VABA and archiebunkerjr like this.
  11. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

When I was in College in Boston circa 2003 I was a member of the Mug Club at Rock Bottom. It was right around the corner from school. Loved it: bigger pours, swag when you hit milestones, etc. In fact I drank so many mugs over the course of college that they actually embossed my name on a placard that they screwed into a display keg. Didn't pay a cent to join though and doubt I would going forward.

archiebunkerjr and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  12. pjeagles

pjeagles May 29, 2005 New Mexico
    Trader

Not sure where the "esteem" part comes in, at least as it pertains to mug club memberships here in Albuquerque. Here, it goes something like this: Pay $40, get $1 off pints, $1 off growler fills, 10% off kegs, and a free 32 oz. growler +fill when you join. Some breweries do larger pours for club members. I don't think anyone is walking around with a puffed-up chest or waving their membership card smugly here. May as well be showing off your Costco card.

13. EvenMoreJesus

Took that a bit out of context, didn't ya? The "esteem" part was in reference to some breweries saying that they were rewarding their customers for their loyalty, when, in actuality, they are charging them to be a part of a "special club". One that may or may not have benefits commensurate with the membership fee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.